Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Planning Permission for Aldi lodged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Iceland to open store in Shannon

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/iceland-to-open-store-in-shannon-36239995.html

Not an Aldi update but Iceland opening in Skycourt in December

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

ongarboy wrote: »
    Iceland to open store in Shannon

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/iceland-to-open-store-in-shannon-36239995.html

Not an Aldi update but Iceland opening in Skycourt in December

Talking to a security guy yesterday .... he says Dec 16th is the magic day ....
    I'm amazed by the size of it ..... temporary cladding along the Mall front indicates a big big store .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Any truth in the rumour that the food court is being shut down?

Any truth in the rumour that the food court is being shut down?

I heard that Dunnes want to move Clothing upstairs and increase the size of food etc downstairs ..... Lots of free units downstairs for food court guys if they want them (or like them) .....
    All this is rumour so who knows? .....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A food court is useless when there's hardly nowhere to eat!

Was always kinda too small a center to have a proper functioning food court. It would be ideal in the crescent though, where the eating options are quite poor for somewhere of its size.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A food court is useless when there's hardly nowhere to eat!

Was always kinda too small a center to have a proper functioning food court. It would be ideal in the crescent though, where the eating options are quite poor for somewhere of its size.

Not an expert on food courts but it seems that was what they decided to call it .... it was a handy place for a cup of coffee and I liked the open plan seating ... I know a number of guys that always preferred upstairs to the options that exist downstairs today .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Viewpoint2

Ive never ever seen a place like Shannon with a considerable population (2nd or 3rd largest town in Co Clare) where the majority sit back and not stand up and fight back and dont care!
    Look at the grasscutting quality!
    Look at the lack of interest over Aldi.
    Look at the loss of Tesco here to Coonagh and no one cared!
    Look at the price monolopy with only two petrol stations here and no one has the gump to open up competition and set up a third petrol station

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Viewpoint2

Ps its the same with the GAA years back passion and intetest won all ireland feile in football and hurling in the schools and the club won the Munster Senior Hurling Crown and got to the all ireland final in st patricks day 1996. Now the club went down to intermediate a few seasons ago and doing no good at senior anymore only struggling to stay in the senior grade which is shocking given the population. The same with the football team.

Also regarding Dunnes Stores here its not a grade A stores and it should be for the size and population of this area and catchment and the employment and industrial base based here! No one in shannon cares though they just too happy to sit back not seek better and when do just go into limerick! Limerick dont come here to shop from Coonagh so why are the Shannonpeople
    doing it. It stinks!

I remember that Iceland opening a new store in Shannon town centre was mentioned in this thread ..... so news of the day ....

December the 6th ..... 9.00 am is now the big day ..... see you all at the opening ....

(Radio add today )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I'd hate a town to be taken over by multinationals but Shannon already has A LOT of multinationals, including most of the retailers.

Tesco etc are not Irish yet nobody is objecting to them. Aldi pay Irish suppliers reasonably and on time. They have their market. I don't see anything wrong with them coming in tbh.

• Advertisement

hobie14 wrote: »
    I remember that Iceland opening a new store in Shannon town centre was mentioned in this thread ..... so news of the day ....

December the 6th ..... 9.00 am is now the big day ..... see you all at the opening ....

(Radio add today )

Looks like tuesday is now the opening day (5th Dec.) ..... walked past the store front today (sunday morning) ...... looked like staff training was in progress ...... looks great from what I could see .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

MarkR wrote:
    Not sure where they'd put it, but would be great to have. With that, Lidl, and Dunnes, you won't need anywhere else for the weekly shop.

Was looking for fresh coleslaw in dunnes this evening the don't do it any other dunnes I've been to do it. I couldn't believe it.... a lot of ppl in Iceland this evening ,very few in lidl which was super

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Should have an outcome to appeal soon http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/249250.htm

Clare County Council

Construction of foodstore with five illuminated signs, entrance sign, 109 car parking spaces, vehicular access, substation, bus shelter relocation and associated site works.

Case reference: PL03 .249250

Case type: Planning Appeal

So the board overrule their own inspector. Irish water don't want to move huge asbestos pipe that bursts every few months.

Lets' just hope the council now stick to their guns and don't allow some pie in the sky developer to built a number of tower blocks with boarded up shops. Mixed use with cafes and evening entertainment is what they want, which would be lovely.

Aldi could always go up the road and talk to Shannon Commercial properties, I'm sure they's find them a spot somewhere, just to see Clare county council try get around that one. Once Ryano's Gym and Starbucks opened in the estate mixed use and not just industrial should be available there. Useful for workers and if it kills skycourt, all the better.

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/249/R249250.pdf

http://clarechampion.ie/shannon-councillor-slams-an-bord-pleanala-after-aldi-refusal/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not quite Aldi related but An Bord Pleanala has granted permission to turn a vacant ground floor unit in Skycourt into a restaurant despite objections (identified as Supermacs) that there were already too many restaurants in the area.

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/302/R302313.pdf

Decision due on the 18/7/20 for Aldi's latest attempt to open store in Shannon. http://www.eplanning.ie/ClareCC/AppFileRefDetails/20311/0

Skycourts new owners (Dublin bankers) the only objectors.

Aldi's added two story restaurant to previous design. Some have commented it looks a bit like an existing two story restaurant across the road, which may allow for said restaurant to move should they wish to add drive thru to their offering.

Skycourt offered the car park to the rear of hairdressers/barbers to Aldi to build on. They say visual amenities destroyed it Aldi allowed to build at proposed site:)
    and not mixed etc. Basically if skycourt aren't getting paid it shouldn't be allowed.

Important to remember this is the crowd who refused to let a mixed asian food restaurant buy the old esb offices which truly are a blight on the town center, by informing them they'd refuse to give them access to water.

Anyway staff at aldi Ennis seem to feel the application has been passed and just awaiting announcement and of course then the skycourt appeal. We'll see soon.

3 Months to ask. Then Planners request further info 2 days before decision due. Usual delay tactics. I hear the new Shannon area plan the Council are going to be heavily involved in is due any day now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

really doubt it'll be approved

As a regular visitor to Aldi in limerick as well as the stores in Shannon I will be disappointed if Aldi is told to get lost ...
    If this happens I suggest LIDL is encouraged to expand the Shannon store ... I suggest double the existing floor space

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Shazamm wrote: »
    really doubt it'll be approved

It might help if you give us the benefit of your reasoning for this doubt.

• Advertisement

Councils Planning dept request for further info now available http://www.clarecoco.ie/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=501395&format=jpeg

* Mixed use again. Going to have to put a few apartments on the roof to get around that one.
    * Why won't you just open in skycourt.
    * Zebra crossings,road width, bike tracks.
    * New area plan due at end of year.
    * etc

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

HI All

Has anybody heard anything else on this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

afro man wrote: »
    HI All

Has anybody heard anything else on this

Aldi have 6 months to reply to the councils FI request. It's likely that they'll either take the full 6 months or come back with a completely new application. So don't be expecting any new updates any time soon.

Aldi have 6 months to reply to the councils FI request. It's likely that they'll either take the full 6 months or come back with a completely new application. So don't be expecting any new updates any time soon.

they doing their best to stop Aldi coming to Shannon :mad:

Anybody Else hear the New planning permission for Aldi has been Turned down Again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Can't understand why they did not just tell them this on last rejection instead of asking them to submit new Planning application with Café / Etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In addition the Order states that the lack of “safe, convenient and attractive pedestrian linkages” to the Town Centre would materially contravene the current Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan.

I do not understand this completely.
    While I understand the need for such linkeage I would think that provisions such as pedestrian walkways and safe vehicular access would be in the remit of the planning department Clare Co. Co., and could be a necessary condition to the grant of planning.
    They must have outline plans for this already as the site is within their own development strategy.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So Aldi had a submission. It was rejected due to reasons. The submission was updated to reflect those reasons, and they still said no?

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    So Aldi had a submission. It was rejected due to reasons. The submission was updated to reflect those reasons, and they still said no?

MarkR that's what I take out of it ?? can't get my head around why the refused permission so.

Advertisement