Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

March 2018 Baby Club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

shesty wrote: »
    Well I guess you kind of know then.You just go in and aim to give birth pretty much. I'd imagine there might be a couple of extra people knocking around the room, both for the babies and possibly to assist in the delivery but I don't really know what else.

As for the Section thing....if (for example) one twin is in and one twin is out and the only way to get it out safely is a section, then that's an on the spot decision that you have no way of predicting.All she can do now is go in aiming for a natural birth and see how it works out really.

Yeah, the aim is to go in and go naturally.

I've heard the stories of one naturally and the other isn't.

4% chance of that happening i think.

The room will be full of people.

What we do know is, the breech baby is not blocking the birth canal.

This is the disadvantage we have of having no history of twins on either side, we don't know what to expect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah but to be fair nobody knows what to expect going in.I'm on my third here, and I have no clue what will happen.As you know yourself, you'll have to just go in with that as your expectation-aim for natural and see how it turns out.

Yeah but to be fair nobody knows what to expect going in.I'm on my third here, and I have no clue what will happen.As you know yourself, you'll have to just go in with that as your expectation-aim for natural and see how it turns out.

Each pregnancy is different, you’re correct.

Is this one very different from 1 & 2 for you?

Our 3 previous have all been rapid, almost didn’t make it on number 2.

Yeah the (unofficial) plan is natural. Haven’t a hope in hell if making March as week 38 is on February 28th.

If they mention induction she’s asking will they hold off 24 hours to bring it to March but based on her history,looks remote.

All my kids are born in either February or September, so a new month would be a nice change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I do agree with you Cork Truck Driver that medical professionals are very quick to suggest c sections now when it is the easier quicker option rather than medically necessary these days, leading to problems now like midwives and doctors inexperienced with breech births etc, so then they suggest c section, meaning less experience of it, vicious circle. So I do think that all going well your partner is right to be aiming for a natural birth but accepting that a c section may be necessary if there's an urgent medical need.

When I was waiting to have my first son in the labour ward another woman I know gave birth to one twin naturally and had to have a csection for the second twin (I'm not sure why, I could only hear so much next door!), which has to be the worst of both worlds, every bit of you would be sore! She was still moving better than me though when we met in scbu the day after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's quite different in terms of symptoms.Both births were different, waters went first in one followed by contractions, but put up with weeks of contractions before no.2.before anything productive actually happened at 42 weeks.Waters never broke on the second.Similarities were that both were not overly long, 7 & 5 hours, both were just gas and air, no interventions in either, and no major events really happened during either.(the aftermath of no.1 was a different story due to waters going first).

No.2 turned from head down to up a number of times from about 32 weeks to 36 weeks which was pretty awful. I don't how this one will go, it feels like it"s rotating a bit in there (although it still has space).Hoping it ends up head down and stays that way though.After that, I'll settle for another similar birth to the last two, but sure who knows.

I do agree with you Cork Truck Driver that medical professionals are very quick to suggest c sections now when it is the easier quicker option rather than medically necessary these days, leading to problems now like midwives and doctors inexperienced with breech births etc, so then they suggest c section, meaning less experience of it, vicious circle. So I do think that all going well your partner is right to be aiming for a natural birth but accepting that a c section may be necessary if there's an urgent medical need.

When I was waiting to have my first son in the labour ward another woman I know gave birth to one twin naturally and had to have a csection for the second twin (I'm not sure why, I could only hear so much next door!), which has to be the worst of both worlds, every bit of you would be sore! She was still moving better than me though when we met in scbu the day after.

Thanks Spotty,

It's like a quick get out of jail card for them.

A point i made previously was, a section takes roughly 45 minutes from start to finish, a woman in labour could be there for hours, even days in some cases, this just makes life easier for the 'professionals' without having a care in the world for the consequences.

They don't go home every night thinking 'Was i right or wrong to section that lady'

We will see the answers we get now next week when a request for a breech delivery is made after they formally propose the section.

Twin 1 Naturally/Twin 2 section must be an awful recovery, i can only imagine what it must have been like for you seeing that scenario, i certainly haven't.

In 2016, a lady with 3 previous sections refused a 4th initially, the HSE tried to force her via court proceedings and the judge refused.

She did have the procedure done, but the HSE were left with egg on their faces and it has set a precedent now.

Women's rights 1-0 HSE

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1102/828700-c-section-court/

It's quite different in terms of symptoms.Both births were different, waters went first in one followed by contractions, but put up with weeks of contractions before no.2.before anything productive actually happened at 42 weeks.Waters never broke on the second.Similarities were that both were not overly long, 7 & 5 hours, both were just gas and air, no interventions in either, and no major events really happened during either.(the aftermath of no.1 was a different story due to waters going first).

No.2 turned from head down to up a number of times from about 32 weeks to 36 weeks which was pretty awful. I don't how this one will go, it feels like it"s rotating a bit in there (although it still has space).Hoping it ends up head down and stays that way though.After that, I'll settle for another similar birth to the last two, but sure who knows.

Did you find your labour progressed quicker after the waters went?

With our kids for example, the waters broke on 1 & 2 naturally, labour was very quick, on number 3 the contractions/show came but the waters didn't.

In the hospital under midwifery instruction she was told to push to break the waters, our son was born 3 minutes later.

You went to 42 weeks? wow :eek:

Those were very respectable times you had,same as my wife, gas and air only and a few stitches inside and out afterwards.

At which stage did number 2 finally settle? 36 weeks?

At this stage you probably do still have enough room for baby to turn and get ready for the big day.

Number 1 didn't turn down until 37 weeks for us and she was born 6 days later.

Ah god no.It was my first so they went, an hour later contractions started and six hours later she appeared.I'd imagine being the first, she was going to take a bit longer anyway.

My second...no.I've never been told to push. Honestly they leave me to it and that's what I want!!!I was upright, and just going along with it.I definitely remember reaching a point where I wasn't sure I could keep going and the midwife saying to me if I could lie down he would check how far along I was.Tried lying down, wasn't happening and next thing I shot upright and two big pushes got her out.She was born in the sac.But no, as long as I seemed to be coping, he didn't say anything much.

Yes hoping this baby is head down when itdecides it's had enough of turning !!!

Ah god no.It was my first so they went, an hour later contractions started and six hours later she appeared.I'd imagine being the first, she was going to take a bit longer anyway.

My second...no.I've never been told to push. Honestly they leave me to it and that's what I want!!!I was upright, and just going along with it.I definitely remember reaching a point where I wasn't sure I could keep going and the midwife saying to me if I could lie down he would check how far along I was.Tried lying down, wasn't happening and next thing I shot upright and two big pushes got her out.She was born in the sac.But no, as long as I seemed to be coping, he didn't say anything much.

Yes hoping this baby is head down when itdecides it's had enough of turning !!!

6 hours on a first isn't bad, based on what i have seen over the years first hand, often seen woman in labour for days.

Many women prefer to be left to do their own thing in that situation, and understandably so!

Your most recent experience was the same as the wife last time out, couldn't lay down, just kneeling over the back of the bed,2 or 3 pushed and he arrived, with a heavily bruised face mind you.

Is the baby still made turning?

We were in the hospital yesterday and the wife got very cross, a 2.30 scan turned in a 4.45 scan and a 4.30 clinic appointment became 5.30.

Been at the hospital since 2pm.

No discussion of a birth plan to our suprise.

The doctor just said "All 3 previous births natural,Twin 1 breech"

She didn't elaborate on that.

Both babies are now nearing the 6lb mark and 4 weeks to go,6 if you go on the 40 week dating scan.

Highly unlikely i'll be in the March thread,unless the babies come of their own accord in the month of February, a March date is being insisted upon she said, even March 1st.

A new month for a new birthday is a preference for us all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Question on the public thing and I have to say the care in the coombe has been great once you are actually seen.

But what is with the handing out appointments and then having to wait 3 hours. Most people I have seen are in and out in 10 minutes, why can they not stagger the appointments out across the day?

I am sure all these questions have been asked before, but sure I am only the father what would I know? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Question on the public thing and I have to say the care in the coombe has been great once you are actually seen.

But what is with the handing out appointments and then having to wait 3 hours. Most people I have seen are in and out in 10 minutes, why can they not stagger the appointments out across the day?

I am sure all these questions have been asked before, but sure I am only the father what would I know? :)

It's the same in Waterford. 2 hour minimum wait. Some pain! I'm out there tomorrow for my 36 week appointment and i am going to go out earlier because it seems like I am waiting around for 2 hours then there's a big rush for them to get everyone out and you're in with the doc or midwife for 5 minutes.

Tomorrow is my last day in work :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I'm in Galway, had second baby in November. I always showed up 30-60 mins before my appt time, it was first come first serve despite the appt times, I'd always been finished in an hour. The one day I was "on time" it took 2 hours because I showed up with everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I would assume the same reason other places do it, to ensure all the appointment slots are filled because they have to factor in no shows, missed appointments and cancellations without being told!

I'm in Galway, had second baby in November. I always showed up 30-60 mins before my appt time, it was first come first serve despite the appt times, I'd always been finished in an hour. The one day I was "on time" it took 2 hours because I showed up with everyone else.

Yes, this exactly. This is why im going in an hour early today. Haven't been able to all along with work but today is my last day so I'm leaving earlier :)

Tomorrow we can say our babies are due next month !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Sono

37 weeks today and the wife finishes up in work this Friday.

Getting down to the business end of things now, really excited/nervous for it all and hope all goes well.

Best of luck to everyone else expectant in the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    37 weeks today and the wife finishes up in work this Friday.

Getting down to the business end of things now, really excited/nervous for it all and hope all goes well.

Best of luck to everyone else expectant in the next few weeks!

36 weeks today here.

Clinic now this afternoon will be fun.

You must be feeling a bit nervous now?

Best of luck to you both.

36 weeks today here.

Clinic now this afternoon will be fun.

You must be feeling a bit nervous now?

Best of luck to you both.

Yeah I’m a bit nervous alright but also very excited.

I just want her to enjoy some time at home before the baby comes as she hasn’t missed any time in work. Knowing our luck she will go into Labour this Friday!

Best of luck to you too and you partner and twins(if i remember right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

Same here Sono finishing up this Friday I cant wait. Its starting to take its toll so hopefully I'll get to enjoy the next 2 weeks but as you say knowing my luck I'll go on Friday!

Eireog1 wrote: »
    Same here Sono finishing up this Friday I cant wait. Its starting to take its toll so hopefully I'll get to enjoy the next 2 weeks but as you say knowing my luck I'll go on Friday!

Is this your first? It’s our first so it’s going to be a real life changer!!!

Is this your first? It’s our first so it’s going to be a real life changer!!!

Ya our first as well so we are nervous and excited! life as we know it is about to change!

• Advertisement

Eireog1 wrote: »
    Ya our first as well so we are nervous and excited! life as we know it is about to change!

Great stuff, well best of luck to you both or should I say the three of you!

Likewise Sono!

Yeah I’m a bit nervous alright but also very excited.

I just want her to enjoy some time at home before the baby comes as she hasn’t missed any time in work. Knowing our luck she will go into Labour this Friday!

Best of luck to you too and you partner and twins(if i remember right?)

I can only imagine what you are both feeling,is this your first?

Something similar happened my wife on a previous pregnancy, finished work and 4 days later she went into labour, 2 weeks early, Murphy's Law :rolleyes:

Thank you :)

Yes it's twins,having had the discussions with the hospital in the last 2 hours it is likely now that we will be in the March club, they are letting her go into labour herself, not as straightforward as it seems, but that was the recommendation of the Professor, to let nature take its course effectively.

Hey everyone hope you're all doing well!
    I'm 38 weeks on Thursday. Finished up work almost 2 weeks already, I am enjoying the time off. Trying to relax but scrubbing the house every day. In on weds for my next appointment.

Was overdue on #1, induced at 40+10. Hoping that won't happen again this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

Just browsing, I had mine in November just gone but following this thread. Best of luck to everyone ! Enjoy your time off , everyone says you won't get it again. You 're prob sick hearing that, I was but so true. I took a slow slow walk one day to a coffee shop and just sat there with my bump and book, lovely way to pass time. I was 11 days late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ruahead wrote: »
    Enjoy your time off , everyone says you won't get it again. You 're prob sick hearing that, I was but so true. I took a slow slow walk one day to a coffee shop and just sat there with my bump and book, lovely way to pass time. I was 11 days late.

Seconding this! I finished work on a Friday and started induction on the Monday, would have loved some chill out time like that.

Just browsing, I had mine in November just gone but following this thread. Best of luck to everyone ! Enjoy your time off , everyone says you won't get it again. You 're prob sick hearing that, I was but so true. I took a slow slow walk one day to a coffee shop and just sat there with my bump and book, lovely way to pass time. I was 11 days late.

That sounds lovely!

Major relaxing day for me today. I had my 38 wk check up in the hospital yesterday. Baby is measuring big with loads of fluid so I'm back in again next week.

Only 10 days to go to the first of the due dates, are people getting anxious/excited?

We’re still hanging in here at 37 weeks on twins, god only knows how though.

Only 10 days to go to the first of the due dates, are people getting anxious/excited?

We’re still hanging in here at 37 weeks on twins, god only knows how though.

Wife is in Holles st as I type for our 38 week check up, feeling good and finished work last week which was a huge relief, hope all is well with your twins and partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭irelandrover

We have 4 weeks to go now. Getting exciting but also a little scary.

Baby is still in breech position.
    We have another scan thursday and if still in breech then so we have an apointment to try turn at the start of next week.
    If that doesnt work then probably a C-section the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

We're 6 weeks out. This part of the pregnancy is dragging for us.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

4 weeks to go here too.

I feel like I am forgetting something.

Due NEXT WEEK!!

Baby was measuring big on Wednesday so im back out there again this week. Feeling so uncomfortable and hoping I'm close to the end now.

Wife is in Holles st as I type for our 38 week check up, feeling good and finished work last week which was a huge relief, hope all is well with your twins and partner.

How did ye get on?

Did your wife get her maternity benefit sorted?

My own wife still hasn’t.

She got her sweep done, membranes bulging and 2cm’s dilated.

Back for another sweep on Thursday.

How did ye get on?

Did your wife apply for it yet? I applied in November. Officially started maternity on the 15th but I was partially paid on the 12th and a full payment on the 19th.

michellie wrote: »
    Did your wife apply for it yet? I applied in November. Officially started maternity on the 15th but I was partially paid on the 12th and a full payment on the 19th.

The forms have been sitting there for the last 2 weeks, she has until 2 weeks before the due date to apply she was saying, that will be February 28th, she always leaves things to the last minute.

They'll be born and the forms still won't be filled in :rolleyes:

Were you waiting long from sending the forms off to getting the confirmation letter?

The first week is always a partial payment is it?

How did ye get on?

All good today, consultant said not to be too surprised if she goes over(not what she wanted to hear!) but look it I don’t mind as long as mammy and baby are all ok.

Not back in the hospital until the due date on the 5th March now.

I believe maternity benefit is sorted, well so she says, find out soon enough!

What is the hold up with your wife’s maternity benefit?

All good today, consultant said not to be too surprised if she goes over(not what she wanted to hear!) but look it I don’t mind as long as mammy and baby are all ok.

Not back in the hospital until the due date on the 5th March now.

I believe maternity benefit is sorted, well so she says, find out soon enough!

What is the hold up with your wife’s maternity benefit?

I've never met a person who has gone over, never happened on any of ours.

Mammy and Baby will be fine :) Did they discuss the birth plan with ye?

On the 5th they may offer a sweep if they haven't already.

My wife just hasn't applied yet :pac:

Have you the bags/suitcases at the ready?

I'm looking at ours for the last 6 weeks after pre term labour was stopped in early January, nothing since though.

Murphys Law :rolleyes:

I've never met a person who has gone over, never happened on any of ours.

Mammy and Baby will be fine :) Did they discuss the birth plan with ye?

On the 5th they may offer a sweep if they haven't already.

My wife just hasn't applied yet :pac:

Have you the bags/suitcases at the ready?

I'm looking at ours for the last 6 weeks after pre term labour was stopped in early January, nothing since though.

Murphys Law :rolleyes:

Haven’t really discussed birth plan just have to wait and see how it goes!

Bags are packed the last month or so, gonna be some panic when those bags are going into the car let me tell ya....

• Advertisement

The forms have been sitting there for the last 2 weeks, she has until 2 weeks before the due date to apply she was saying, that will be February 28th, she always leaves things to the last minute.

They'll be born and the forms still won't be filled in :rolleyes:

Were you waiting long from sending the forms off to getting the confirmation letter?

The first week is always a partial payment is it?

They say to send it in 6 weeks before so I'd be sending it in asap.

I got confirmation in January that it was approved after sending it in November.

I went overdue on #1, induced at 40+10 She arrived at 40+12. .

I typed and printed out my birth plan. Basically want it to be different to the first time around when I was young and didn't really know what I was doing.

What's in your birth plan this time ? Just interested as I didn't do one and was glad as things can go anyway and sometimes you have no choice.

Our twins arrived earlier this morning safe and sound.

The sweep worked.

The very best of luck to those of you still waiting.

Wow, congrats.. What sex are they ? How was the labour in the end? 2 new lil cuties in the world.

Wow, congrats.. What sex are they ? How was the labour in the end? 2 new lil cuties in the world.

Thank you.

Both girls.

Labour ward was fine.

My wife got her wish to have a vaginal breech twin birth and it passed off without incident.

They made one last attempt at a cesarean section which was declined.

• Advertisement

Congrats CTD!And well done to your wife, some woman!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Huge Congrats, ye must be delighted.

Thanks guys, she’s now in the position of the babies being here and no maternity benefit even applied for yet and unlikely to get it done this week.

Wow !!!! Congratulations CTD first babies born to the march group. I'm happy to hear all went well and you had the birth you were wishing for :):)

michellie wrote: »
    Wow !!!! Congratulations CTD first babies born to the march group. I'm happy to hear all went well and you had the birth you were wishing for :):)

Thank you :D

All is good, the Professor in the hospital admitted he was surprised it went to plan so easily.

The wife was glad she stuck to her instinct and go for a natural birth despite repeated warnings from hospital staff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement