Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobstown 6 Not Guilty

Comments

seamus wrote: »
    Which is not the same thing as lying.

A statement contradicting video evidence is not proof that the statement is a lie.

That's the only fact, however much the brigade on Twitter want people to believe that the judge called the Gardai liars.

She didn't.

Oh that's true. I didn't suggest they had lied, merely noted that was the inference raised by Paul Murphy. He had said it more directly in his statement after the acquittal, though a more general "the Gardai lied" rather than identifying any individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

186 (may be slightly out) Garda statements couldn't convince a jury. Something wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

186 (may be slightly out) Garda statements couldn't convince a jury. Something wrong there.

Yes. No-one trusts a thing the Irish Police Farce say anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

lucky there was the helicopter footage or six innocent peoplw would be behind bars now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

20Cent wrote: »
    lucky there was the helicopter footage or six innocent peoplw would be behind bars now.

This was blatant attempt by the state and their hired goons in AGS.
    to stitch up those who were involved in a political protest.

Thankfully, there was helicopter footage available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Expect helicopters to be banned the next time a political protest happens (as well as members of the public using their cameras as video recorders)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Remember all the statements from the South Yorkshire Police after Hillsborough

why were they found to be lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Murphy will be insufferable now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am far from left wing but this is a good day

Most people saw this for what it was

Fcuk official Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

In Paul Murphy's statement today on the steps of the court he said "Gardai up to the rank of superintendent falsified statements, they gave fabricated evidence and statements."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Disgraceful decision ,I've seen the videos and clips from that event and everyone of that mob should be ashamed of there actions .and of been found guilty heard Murphys interview on news talk earlier ,what a smug person he is ,no respect for guards or laws of this land .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Allinall

Because naming them would have left him open to being sued. And probably the station broadcasting it. Try and live in the real world here.

So he was making claims he couldn't stand over?

He should have no problem with being sued if he was confident of his claims.

He's a sniveling weasel throwing out accusations that he can't back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

According to the helicopter footage her driver could have just reversed away from the crowd.

Reverse where though? It might have created some space between the guards in front and the protests, but she wasn't going to get away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Disgraceful decision ,I've seen the videos and clips from that event and everyone of that mob should be ashamed of there actions .and of been found guilty heard Murphys interview on news talk earlier ,what a smug person he is ,no respect for guards or laws of this land .

Had they been charged for actual crimes they committed they probably would have been convicted, but they could be no more convicted of this than Burton's driver could have been convicted of speeding that afternoon.

Reverse where though? It might have created some space between the guards in front and the protests, but she wasn't going to get away..

The guard in the helicopter literally said they could have "got away ages ago" bit didn't seem to want to do that.

So yeah, they could have got away easily in the words of a garda at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Disgraceful decision ,I've seen the videos and clips from that event and everyone of that mob should be ashamed of there actions d .

I could never imagine treating people they way Joan was treated that day.

I could never imagine treating people they way Joan was treated that day.

And I could never imagine treating people the way she did when she was in government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Just shows how deep the problems are within the police force of this state. Lies, lies and more lies for the sake of the establishment.

Allinall wrote: »
    So he was making claims he couldn't stand over?

He should have no problem with being sued if he was confident of his claims.

He's a sniveling weasel throwing out accusations that he can't back up.

He wasn't asked to back them up because it would be wrong to do that. Telly/radio/here is not a trial.
    Not a very difficult concept to grasp if you are a reasonable rational person.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    And I could never imagine treating people the way she did when she was in government.

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Expect helicopters to be banned the next time a political protest happens (as well as members of the public using their cameras as video recorders)

Happens in Spain with cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

ooter wrote: »
    In Paul Murphy's statement today on the steps of the court he said "Gardai up to the rank of superintendent falsified statements, they gave fabricated evidence and statements."

We live in a banana republic. We must be able to trust the police force of the state and know they are impartial. At this present time they are a complete shambles.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Happens in Spain with cameras.

Didn't they already try to pass legislation here banning people filming the Guards?

Maybe I imagined that.

The labour party and JB should be ashamed of their actions and broken promises, but isn't that what they tend to do?
    https://youtu.be/yAS0c5AkiNg

Wasn't she recorded plotting how to use what was happening to her in a political way, in the back of the car too?
    Nice to see our TD's not wasting their down time I supplied. ;)

• Advertisement

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Just shows how deep the problems are within the police force of this state. Lies, lies and more lies for the state of the establishment.

They are not there to protect you they are there to protect those inside the tent from you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Still doesn't excuse what he did. You'd swear Joan was Ian Huntley.

Didn't they already try to pass legislation here banning people filming the Guards?

Maybe I imagined that.

yeah one of my friends from The Basque Country said the same. Don't know if it is law or not.

He wasn't asked to back them up because it would be wrong to do that. Telly/radio/here is not a trial.
    Not a very difficult concept to grasp if you are a reasonable rational person.

Why exactly would it be wrong?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask an elected politician making serious accusations aganst state employees to back up his claims?

Still doesn't excuse what he did. You'd swear Joan was Ian Huntley.

I didn't excuse it. For me they went too far, I have no problem saying that. It was outside the boundaries of common decency. Just because they treat you like dirt, doesn't mean you should lower yourself to their level.

I'd also concede there were laws broken that day. Public order offenses, criminal damage, writing false statements, etc.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    yeah one of my friends from The Basque Country said the same. Don't know if it is law or not.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-want-ban-on-people-photographing-and-recording-them-on-duty-35609002.html

Looks like it was the AGSI who wanted filming to be banned actually.

Also the Spanish Police. Friend argued about this for a few days.

Why exactly would it be wrong?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask an elected politician making serious accusations aganst state employees to back up his claims?

If you name somebody for committing a crime and you are wrong, both you and the broadcaster can be sued. Rightfully.

Maybe in your world it is correct, but we all live in the real world where you are entitled to your good name until proven otherwise in a court.

I thought he was pretty good, and I have no time for him.

He conceded that there were acts by protestors that were unacceptable. As some poster said earlier, if they had been brought up on a range of bog standard public order offences before the District Court, abusive behaviour type stuff, there would have been convictions and it would have been far cheaper.

It seems that the Prosecution called it wrong when going for a big offence.

If you name somebody for committing a crime and you are wrong, both you and the broadcaster can be sued. Rightfully.

Maybe in your world it is correct, but we all live in the real world where you are entitled to your good name until proven otherwise in a court.

So basically his claim that the guards lied is baseless.

Why did he say it at all?

I'm standing over my view that he's a sniveling weasel and have no fear of him suing me.

I suppose he doesn't have a good name in the first place.

I'm standing over my view that he's a sniveling weasel and have no fear of him suing me.

Being a 'sniveling weasel' isn't a crime. Perjuring yourself in court is. Simple stuff really.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You can infer from the gardai statements that were all utterly contradicted by the video evidence that they either managed to suffer a collective breakdown in cognitive abilities that borders on mass delusion or they were not being honest

Given the previous form of that organization we can all fairly clearly see what happened in that trial was a damning indictment of our police force.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

lol

Where did the post go? I wanted to see who the real snivelling weasel is

Hello Paul, goodbye Paul. :)

• Advertisement

Where did the post go? I wanted to see who the real snivelling weasel is

I'm deeply disappointed that that wasn't allowed to play out. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

I heard Primetime were as biased as usual with Murphy.
    I remember when that tool Tubridy tried to discredit Murphy with the worst ever interview on the Late Late.

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    I heard Primetime were as biased as usual with Murphy.
    I remember when that tool Tubridy tried to discredit Murphy with the worst ever interview on the Late Late.

I think you'll find the worst ever attempt to discredit someone was when Adams was first on with uncle Gaybo who wouldn't even sit alongside him. Such a stitch up attempt that hilariously backfired.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think you'll find the worst ever attempt to discredit someone was when Adams was first on with uncle Gaybo who wouldn't even sit alongside him. Such a stitch up attempt that hilariously backfired.
    Always worth a rewatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

When it happens again, the guards should just send in the public order unit.

If she didnt try and make a political stunt out of it thats exactly what would have happened.

She was the second most senior politician in the country at that moment....i find it difficult to believe she couldnt leave that area...just my opinion of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Just shows how deep the problems are within the police force of this state. Lies, lies and more lies for the sake of the establishment.

the same establishment who couldn't give a fcuk about them either. who cut their pay and resources to beyond the bone.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Joan Burton/Labour didn't take the case, it was taken by the state, she was merely a witness.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

You mean the state where being Tanaiste gives you a little bit of power and influence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I would certainly hope so. We'll have to see what happens when the IFA surrounds a minister's car and intimidates the occupants for two hours.

Why does it have to be a Minister and not people who can't go where they want/ need to cause of people protesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I have no great love for the man or his methods but the actions of the gardai are not deserving of respect. When the courts are used as a device to punish those who've pissed off public representatives, we have a greater problem than an 'unruly mob'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Being a 'sniveling weasel' isn't a crime. Perjuring yourself in court is. Simple stuff really.

Perjury is not a crime in this State. If you are lieing a judge can just dismiss you but you wont be charged.

Advertisement