Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food donations

Options
  • 29-06-2017 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, I cant find a recent thread on this,
    We have on a regular basis, foods of all kinds left over or that cant be eaten cause of allergies etc.

I asked the usual places if they can take it, with varying negative answers, so is there somewhere that takes food, fresh/frozen/packaged, close to galway city?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Lions Club take non perishables coming up to Christmas. Don't know if they do it all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Gave some excess food after Christmas to Fairgreen Hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Try Waterside House. We have donated food to them before.

http://www.copegalway.ie/domestic-violence-services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The homeless walk-in centre Teach Corrib is also run by Cope and might take donations. Cope also do a lot of outreach around the county running supplies to at-risk folks. I would contact Cope and see how they can best use your donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Bredabe wrote:
    I asked the usual places if they can take it, with varying negative answers, so is there somewhere that takes food, fresh/frozen/packaged, close to galway city?

What were their reasons for not taking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

bobbyss wrote: »
    What were their reasons for not taking?

Short use by dates, dont have space in freezer, not sure they were taking food, cant take food that is already open, tho in original packaging, only need x when I was offering y, cant use special types of food eg diabetic, wheat free etc.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Another option might be freecycle. I have seen people offer food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Try https://food.cloud/

There was an organisation called the Bia Food Initiative that had a depot out in Oranmore, I chatted to them about a year ago with a view to something similar to what you mention. It looks like they've since renamed as Food Cloud.

I'm sure they'll let you know what's possible, but from what I remember they couldn't take cooked food, but would be grateful for packaged food or fresh fruit & veg.

Advertisement