Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

RoryW wrote: »
    Trying to get my head around all of this so apologies in advance

Hive v Next v Honeywell v anyone else to consider

I understand that with Hive or Next you are restricted re zones and it is essentially upstairs or downstairs whereas with Honeywell it can be as many as you want (so each radiator can be its own zone if you wanted).

Comments and words of warning and enlightenment welcomed.

Also anything else that people think we should consider at this stage ? House will have alarm and CCTV.

House undergoing rewire and replumb.
    Gas heating. New condenser boiler (I think)

I calculate 15 radiators in total

GROUND
    Extension - 3
    Utility - 1
    WC - 1 (towel rail)
    Living - 1
    Sitting - 1
    Hall - 1

FIRST
    Bedroom - 2
    Landing - 1
    Bathroom - 1 (towel rail)
    Bedroom - 1
    Bedroom - 1

ATTIC
    Attic - 1

total - 15

I will give Honeywell Experience

Honewell Evohome is a Dedicated Heating Control System with a Controller Screen from which you can Do all Adjustments and Scheduling

It can operate Normal Zone Valves and HW so can Directly Integrate into existing S plan or Y plan system ie Stats and Zone Valves

SO your House could have say 3 Zones which is common UP Down and HW

But Evohome can as you Point out also have individual Control over each Rad using Smart Rad Valves And each one of these Can be Scheduled from main Controller or your Phone using App

It Has Full Zone Optimisation capability and also optimum Start and Optimum Stop

It can control Electric Zones Like Bathroom UF or Electric Towel Rail

Does not need Internet to operate only required for Remote Control

It is expensive but not as much more than others if you compare like for like

It is A very Polished Heating Control System and does what it does and is fully supported by a Long Term Control Company

http://www.vesternet.com/blog/2016/10/honeywell-evohome-long-term-review/

Here is a Long Term Review by a user

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

RoryW wrote: »
    ....Also anything else that people think we should consider at this stage .......
    ....House undergoing rewire and replumb.
    Gas heating. New condenser boiler (I think)
    I calculate 15 radiators...-
    Make sure to get TRV valve bodies on the rads at this stage, cost hardly any more, you can put normal or smart TRV heads on later without the need for plumbing, changing valves etc. Run some wires pairs to wall stat locations back to the plumbing area/ boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Was also evaluating tado vs climote vs hive vs nest vs Honeywell vs lightwave vs ecobee to automate my heating solution

Here are my thoughts :
    Nest at the moment is the strongest candidate for me . The reasons are primarily software , it's being developed effectively by Google and working in software the niche apps are great and all but for reliability it's good to have a big development team behind it that can develop app , fix bugs and launch new features. It looks like it has good market penetration and will be supported long term.
    Main disadvantage is no smart TRVs , also I'm not very convinced about the learn ability of these systems for a multi user household and in Ireland.
    Main features I look for are remote access and control from phone for heating and hot water system.

Tado also looks impressive , reason I am thinking Nest is simply it's more mainstream and is being developed by Google so I think support will be better long term.TRVs are lovely looking though and their software looks good.

Honeywell looks like the complete solution has everything, however it looks like a hardware compay doing software to me. Seen some posts online where users complain about software, delays in activating , poor touchscreens etc . Maybe users of system know better but would like to see some comparisons for when new functions are added etc compare to nest. Read somewhere it is in maintenance relase mode at moment.

Climote subscription puts me off that
    Hive I think is similar to Nest.
    Ecobee seems good too but again would opt for Nest over it .

Lightwave I don't know much about.

They are just my thoughts anyway as I research the system to purchase , it's good to have competition in marketplace , I think I will steer to who has the best software product and take it from there.

Be good to see a pole on users on forum , who is using what and satisfaction levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey folks, I was on earlier in the month looking for advice but christmas took over. We have an Ideal gas boiler, with 1 zone and manual value for hot water. The house isnt huge so this works fine. We have an an EPH controller and thermostat with a 7 day x 3 times a day schedule. I would like to have more control over this, by setting the times on my phone, ideally more than 3 per day, and also boosting remotely like on our way home. I had a look at the ember app (and associated tech) and it seems limited to 3 times per day. So, what would my options be more more control etc? Pics of the existing units attached (i think). Will any of the offerings deliver this with my current set up, will I have to replace it, and how difficult for a reasonably handy individual is set up?

Thanks in advance folks, amazing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Also currently trying to figure out what is the best system for smart control of our heating system. Wiring 1st fix for bungalow extension/complete renovation due to start around 10th Jan so want to hone in on solutions.

Heating source: air-to-water heat pump (narrowed down to Nibe or Panasonic).
    Heating outputs:
    Downstairs: underfloor heating all around, 2 x heated towel rads (will need to be pumped from hot water cylinder as the heating loops will be lower temperature for UFH).
    Upstairs: 3 x aluminium rads.
    We will also have a Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery (MVHR) system.

I appreciate that with air-to-water heat pumps, the aim is for a longer heat profile so no rapid changing of temperatures, so need for smart control is more infrequent than with boilers, but we still want to have ability to monitor temperature, set it to home/away/holiday mode remotely etc.

So given we have the option to go wired or wirelss (or combination) what system would be best for our setup?

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    Hey folks, I was on earlier in the month looking for advice but christmas took over. We have an Ideal gas boiler, with 1 zone and manual value for hot water. The house isnt huge so this works fine. We have an an EPH controller and thermostat with a 7 day x 3 times a day schedule. I would like to have more control over this, by setting the times on my phone, ideally more than 3 per day, and also boosting remotely like on our way home. I had a look at the ember app (and associated tech) and it seems limited to 3 times per day. So, what would my options be more more control etc? Pics of the existing units attached (i think). Will any of the offerings deliver this with my current set up, will I have to replace it, and how difficult for a reasonably handy individual is set up?

Thanks in advance folks, amazing thread.

Replace the eph wireless stat with a smart stat. Replace the eph controller with the relay box of the smart stat. Mains and boiler control wires from the old controller go directly into the smart relay box. Nest or Tado or Netamo will suit, and give you all the control you want. Tado can automatically detect your approach home and turn the heat back up to at home setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Considering purchasing a nest through the ESB. We have oil central heating. We currently have a standard timer switch in the hallway. Would we be able to swap the nest with this unit? There is good Wi-Fi signal in thus part of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hey folks, I was on earlier in the month looking for advice but christmas took over. We have an Ideal gas boiler, with 1 zone and manual value for hot water.

So I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread all ready but for people who only have 1 zone and a summer valve or combi boiler there is a modern version of this type of clock

31110.jpg

It looks like this

optimum_connect_wi-fi_socket_box_mounted_time_switch_op-sbwf01.jpg

I picked it up just before christmas in my local electrical wholesaler. It works with the CHome app ( basically smarthings) on android and IOS. Voice control through Amazon Echo and Google Home. Haven't bothered setting times in yet but having the ability to turn your heating off before you get home is great and the kids love telling Alexa 'to on the heating'.

So all in all it's basic smart control for your home heating but I think a great jump in point for someone who is planning on investing in NEST or Tado .

Considering purchasing a nest through the ESB. We have oil central heating. We currently have a standard timer switch in the hallway. Would we be able to swap the nest with this unit? There is good Wi-Fi signal in thus part of the house.

Is there a thermostat located anywhere or is the only control via the on/ off timer. NEST will replace this but the control box of the nest ( heatlink) will be located back at the boiler where the wires from the timer currently go to the boiler. If your controller has a separate timer for HW the nest will also control this. ESB will take care of it all.

Also currently trying to figure out what is the best system for smart control of our heating system.
    Heating source: air-to-water heat pump (narrowed down to Nibe or Panasonic).
    Heating outputs:
    Downstairs: underfloor heating all around, 2 x heated towel rads (will need to be pumped from hot water cylinder as the heating loops will be lower temperature for UFH).
    Upstairs: 3 x aluminium rads...
    So given we have the option to go wired or wirelss (or combination) what system would be best for our setup?
    Think of smart systems in terms of how many independent heating zones you wish to control. UHF zones are controlled by motorised valves or pumps. Radiator zones the same, and rooms individually by TRVs.
    With this information you know how many general thermostats you will need and how many TRVs. For your system a solution would be a single stat to control the flow to the UFH manifold of the ground floor, and a pumped circuit for all the other rads, with another thermostat to control this. This stat maybe on the upstairs landing. This circuit could also include the towel rail rads. These rads could have standard or smart TRVS attached. The upstairs rads can either be controlled by the upstairs stat or can be made into their own zones by the addition of smart TRVs. Smart TRVs will call the zone pump or valve controlled by the general upstairs smart stat. This means a room in the zone can individually control it's own temperature up as well as down.
    It's a good idea to spec the entire heating system in terms of how many thermostatically controlled zones you require. Installers have no issue with this. Have TRV type valve bodies installed on the rads, to facilitate later install of smart TRV valve heads. It's then only a case of substituting your choice of smart stat for the standard stats that the installer might fit. This allows the installer to think in terms of a standard zoned fit out, without the worry of how the smart fit is achieved.
    By specifying wireless over wired, he does not have to be concerned about where stats are fitted, just the location of the control relays or receivers which will switch the various zone valves and pumps.
    Tado, Netamo or Evohome sound like solutions, Nest will work well for the general zone control, with standard or smart TRVS an option. Though nest can't directly control the latter as they would be a different brand to Nest, the overall control can be integrated using more advanced generic control apps and software utilising IFTTT, Google home, Apple Home kit etc. A poster here described how his Nest and OEM TRVs work together in this fashion. This is something you don't want to burden an UFH installer with unless you want to double you quotation.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Replace the eph wireless stat with a smart stat. Replace the eph controller with the relay box of the smart stat. Mains and boiler control wires from the old controller go directly into the smart relay box. Nest or Tado or Netamo will suit, and give you all the control you want. Tado can automatically detect your approach home and turn the heat back up to at home setting.

As This But Honeywell Controller will also Do what you want Replace Wireless Stat with Honeywell Evohome Touchscreen and EPH Timer with BDR Relay

Works with Alexa or Phone App or you have full local control with no need for internet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evohome-smart-wireless-zoning-thermostat/dp/B01M63VB18/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1514452218&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=honeywell+evohome

On reviews at that link it states no control for UF That is out of date Newest Firmware gives Electric Zone Control so if you in the future refurbished a Bathroom you could have Electric UF Heating and it is just another Zone in Evo

That pack works out about 250 Euro In my Opinion A Great System

Does the £222 include the BDR relay? Nest is complete for £189 on Amazon, Netamo a great deal for €120 with relay box, but you can get the Nest with electric ireland installed for €130

Does the £222 include the BDR relay? Nest is complete for £189 on Amazon, Netamo a great deal for €120 with relay box, but you can get the Nest with electric ireland installed for €130

Yes it includes the BDR So its more expensive than those others and Of course each to their own I think that Electric Ireland Nest Offer ties you to them for a contract period

But in a lot of Cases People just want to control their Heating and are not that interested in the Tech

Nest and Netamo are Great But as a Complete Heating Solution I would find it hard to Look past Evohome, Alexa integration, IFTTT, Optimisation, Optimum Start, Optimum Stop, Full Scheduling,Modes Economy,Away,Day Off,Custom,Electric Zone Support,Opentherm Control for Suitable Boilers way more efficient I have an Intergas Boiler with opentherm and flow Temp once Zones are up to Temp can be as low as 35-40c

It is a very Polished system made for Heating control there is a very good Support forum where Honeywell Reps listen and respond to requests

I know we on here are by the very fact we are here "techy" and I am very techy having tried lots of heating controls I have come to the conclusion that the most important thing is Ease of use and it works Sure Geofencing is great but really how many really use it In my case I can turn on off Zones from Phone if I want

I have it in my home for 2 winters now and its great I attach a pic of my Demand Screen at the moment Outside Temp Here is 1c at the moment as you can see most Zones are o% demand as they are up to Temp and now Evo will control Boiler Flow temp to maintain those Zones at Setpoint Great System

Its not all about Saving its also about comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Hi all, quick question if anyone can help?

I have 2 x nest 2nd gen thermostats controlling upstairs and downstairs.
    I want to get another for the hot water and I understand I need a 3rd gen. Woulf I need to replace the other two ie buy 3 of them? Or could I just buy one 3rd gen and use it with the other 2 x 2nd gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

If the valve is stuck open the stat won't close it when the water reaches temperature, so it will continue to heat to the limit if the boiler stat. If the stat was closing the valve, 45° would be quite low, 55-65° would be normal to prevent bacteria forming in the cylinder. You can replace the actuator part of the valve on its own (~€40), no plumbing required. Remove the old one from the valve body still wired and see does it turn when powered by the stat. It might be burnt out. If the valve itself is stiff and sticking you'll need the body replaced, which is a full new valve, ~€60. If you get the extension kit it will control 2 valves, one heating and one HW. The output of the HW relay on the extension kit would go through the cylinder stat to the HW valve. Currently it seems to be always on as there is no timer, and the valve is manually open. If the valve microswitch is wired to fire the boiler when open ( it should be), then I can only assume there is no control on HW temperature other than the boiler's own temperature setting, hence scalding HW.
    Edit. There is the possibility that the solar is heating the water to a very high temperature, though I think this unlikely this time of year. Definitely get that valve sorted first. You will have some control of HW temperature at least, solar notwithstanding.

Just following up on this and was doing a bit playing around with the stats to see if I can see what's firing the boiler.

I switched off the downstairs (Tado) and turned the cylinder stat and the stat for upstairs heating zone down so, to my mind at least, there should be nothing calling for heat.

However, the boiler is firing every 5 mins and staying on for about 90 seconds each time.

Would this be because the suspected broken Honeywell motorised valve for the HW zone is not able to close when the stat tells it to and is therefore periodically calling for heat? Or do boilers cycle normally like this for some reason even though nothing should be calling for heat?

I'm trying to figure out, before I go diving into buying another Smart Stat for upstairs and an extension kit, what I need to prioritise getting sorted so Smart system will work as it should. I'm guessing this Honeywell should be sorted first.

skerry wrote: »
    Just following up on this and was doing a bit playing around with the stats to see if I can see what's firing the boiler.

I switched off the downstairs (Tado) and turned the cylinder stat and the stat for upstairs heating zone down so, to my mind at least, there should be nothing calling for heat. However, the boiler is firing every 5 mins and staying on for about 90 seconds each time.

Would this be because the suspected broken Honeywell motorised valve for the HW zone is not able to close when the stat tells it to and is therefore periodically calling for heat? ....
    I'm trying to figure out,...... I'm guessing this Honeywell should be sorted first.

You guess right!

You guess right!

Cheers Deezell, I guess I'm just a bit stunned that I'm actually getting my head around the system a bit after all this messing around :)

Need to order a replacement motor for that Honeywell so before I get stuck into getting more Smart stats.

Haven't been leaving the heating on at night as boiler keeps firing every 5 mins and want to get it so that I can just set it to come on when needed for a specific time interval and not fire other than that.

The way it is at the moment I don't see much point in setting up smart schedules with Tado as I don't have full control over the system coming on/ off as the water keeps calling for heat so I'm not able to get the bast out of the smart stat. Thanks again.

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question if anyone can help?

I have 2 x nest 2nd gen thermostats controlling upstairs and downstairs.
    I want to get another for the hot water and I understand I need a 3rd gen. Woulf I need to replace the other two ie buy 3 of them? Or could I just buy one 3rd gen and use it with the other 2 x 2nd gen?
    For HW you just need the extra connections on the 3rd generation heatlink box, so you should just swap one of the 2nd gen nests and its heatlink for a 3rd gen. The new 3rd gen stat will control both the heating zone and the HW. No need to have three devices. You can sell the old one complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Think of smart systems in terms of how many independent heating zones you wish to control. UHF zones are controlled by motorised valves or pumps. Radiator zones the same, and rooms individually by TRVs.
    With this information you know how many general thermostats you will need and how many TRVs. For your system a solution would be a single stat to control the flow to the UFH manifold of the ground floor, and a pumped circuit for all the other rads, with another thermostat to control this. This stat maybe on the upstairs landing. This circuit could also include the towel rail rads. These rads could have standard or smart TRVS attached. The upstairs rads can either be controlled by the upstairs stat or can be made into their own zones by the addition of smart TRVs. Smart TRVs will call the zone pump or valve controlled by the general upstairs smart stat. This means a room in the zone can individually control it's own temperature up as well as down.
    It's a good idea to spec the entire heating system in terms of how many thermostatically controlled zones you require. Installers have no issue with this. Have TRV type valve bodies installed on the rads, to facilitate later install of smart TRV valve heads. It's then only a case of substituting your choice of smart stat for the standard stats that the installer might fit. This allows the installer to think in terms of a standard zoned fit out, without the worry of how the smart fit is achieved.
    By specifying wireless over wired, he does not have to be concerned about where stats are fitted, just the location of the control relays or receivers which will switch the various zone valves and pumps.
    Tado, Netamo or Evohome sound like solutions, Nest will work well for the general zone control, with standard or smart TRVS an option. Though nest can't directly control the latter as they would be a different brand to Nest, the overall control can be integrated using more advanced generic control apps and software utilising IFTTT, Google home, Apple Home kit etc. A poster here described how his Nest and OEM TRVs work together in this fashion. This is something you don't want to burden an UFH installer with unless you want to double you quotation.

This is thoroughly helpful, thanks. There's more to it than I had realised, though I like the idea of adding the smart stuff later, just ensuring the installer lays it out in a way that can be made smart later, rather than potentially over-complicate the install. Is there much about air-to-water that makes it much different than a standard boiler install - figured with the longer heat profile there would be some differences?

I'll sit down and jot out the ideal different requirements and then post back to get thoughts on what stats should go where, where it may be beneficial to run in cables for TRVs and/or stats, and then have the discussion with the installer. Thanks.

• Advertisement

For HW you just need the extra connections on the 3rd generation heatlink box, so you should just swap one of the 2nd gen nests and its heatlink for a 3rd gen. The new 3rd gen stat will control both the heating zone and the HW. No need to have three devices. You can sell the old one complete.

Great thanks! I just bought the 3rd generation one there! Does the heat link come with it? Sorry still trying to get my head around all this (nest was already in the house when we bought it)

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Great thanks! I just bought the 3rd generation one there! Does the heat link come with it? Sorry still trying to get my head around all this (nest was already in the house when we bought it)

Yes, in Europe, Nest stat can only connect to system via the heatlink wiring box.

Yes, in Europe, Nest stat can only connect to system via the heatlink wiring box.

Thanks for your help :):)

Cheers, Not much of a fiddler so will just order the unit and hopefully get someone to swap them out for me next week.

Would like to see how the system works with operational valves before adding more smart control to it. Will keep my eyes peeled for any January Tado bargains in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

The smart relay box you refer to above, does this come with the various options or is it an additional purchase? Nest below for example:

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/nest-third-generation-smart-thermostat-hot-water-control.html

The smart relay box you refer to above, does this come with the various options or is it an additional purchase? Nest below for example:

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/nest-third-generation-smart-thermostat-hot-water-control.html

Nest comes with the heatlink relay, this connects wirelessly to the nest. Tado and Netamo stats have optional relays to connect wirelessly to. Unlike nest the stats have a relay built in so they can directly replace wired stats, but yours is wireless back to the eph timer so you will need the relay. It can be wired in the same spot as the eph controller, or closer to the boiler if more convenient and tidy.

Nest comes with the heatlink relay, this connects wirelessly to the nest. Tado and Netamo stats have optional relays to connect wirelessly to. Unlike nest the stats have a relay built in so they can directly replace wired stats, but yours is wireless back to the eph timer so you will need the relay. It can be wired in the same spot as the eph controller, or closer to the boiler if more convenient and tidy.

@deezell I was wondering what you think is the best system on market now.

I like the Tado but there seems to be a couple of things - it seems to involve handling controll to a web based system. So if Internet is down in guessing there is a problem. Also very different to find installers and there is a post here which said they can't actually support 3 zones.

Nest is missing the smart TRVs

Honeywell seems to be good but very lacking in software updates.

john_doe. wrote: »
    @deezell I was wondering what you think is the best system on market now.

I like the Tado but there seems to be a couple of things - it seems to involve handling controll to a web based system. So if Internet is down in guessing there is a problem. Also very different to find installers and there is a post here which said they can't actually support 3 zones.

Nest is missing the smart TRVs

Honeywell seems to be good but very lacking in software updates.
    You only have 1 zone, so no worries. Tado can have multiple zones. Each stat or TRV can be a zone, the extension kit ( relay box) adds a HW zone in addition to wireless connection of the stat. If you're with electric ireland I'd recommend Nest. It's only 130 I think including install. If you get heating/HW motorised valve plumbed in it will control HW independent of heating, but you could add this later. If you want to go TRVs later, there are apps which can combine Nest control with trv control. Tado TRVs can be added and controlled by IFTTT app alongside a Nest stat, go back in the thread to see a post about it. Tado V3 gateway can be addressed directly by 3rd party apps if d'internet went down.

You only have 1 zone, so no worries. Tado can have multiple zones. Each stat or TRV can be a zone, the extension kit ( relay box) adds a HW zone in addition to wireless connection of the stat. If you're with electric ireland I'd recommend Nest. It's only 130 I think including install. If you get heating/HW motorised valve plumbed in it will control HW independent of heating, but you could add this later. If you want to go TRVs later, there are apps which can combine Nest control with trv control. Tado TRVs can be added and controlled by IFTTT app alongside a Nest stat, go back in the thread to see a post about it. Tado V3 gateway can be addressed directly by 3rd party apps if d'internet went down.

Thanks I actually thought I had two zones + hot water.

There is a thread here also which contradicts some info I've seen on Tado.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057815654/1/#post105692284

For the nest what are the apps that combine the TrVs with Nest and what TRVs are people using with Nest

I was reading about some of the Danfoss stuff with zwave but not sure how in use it is.

• Advertisement

john_doe. wrote: »
    Thanks I actually thought I had two zones + hot water.

There is a thread here also which contradicts some info I've seen on Tado.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057815654/1/#post105692284

For the nest what are the apps that combine the TrVs with Nest and what TRVs are people using with Nest

I was reading about some of the Danfoss stuff with zwave but not sure how in use it is.

Apologies, I thought you were a different poster. Anyway, you'll need a stat for each heating zone, plus the extension kit/ relay box to look after the HW zone.

Advertisement