Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

championc wrote: »
    What is believe I'm getting at is that what you appear to have is not matching what you want. So I have simply suggested to you as the required kit for what you want to do.

So essentially, what you appear to confirm is that what you bought is not fit for (your) purpose

Ask a simple question... I'm not trying to control different radiators around the house. All I want to do is place a temperature sensor in the bathroom... And I'm just looking for some more details on how the scheduling works.

Your assumptions are incorrect, but I do appreciate you taking the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It's Google Nest. It's a good system, I just have a specific question about additional sensors. You don't seem to understand the subject, but your comment is super helpful.

I have a physical radiator in the room! And a smart thermostat. And a €30 sensor.. You want me to replace that with a smart socket and a fan heater and get an electrician to wire it through my ceiling?

Thanks both. But I'm just looking for an answer to my question. Silly comments tend to derail the tread and the actual question can get lost...

Jeeze didn't think that it was that silly. You can't have a normal socket in a bathroom so you'll need to plug in anything outside of the room hence the suggestion to put it in the ceiling and assuming that you have a socket in the attic you wouldn't need an electrican (assuming that you can wire a plug but that's just silly),by having it on a smart plug means you can control it remotely if you want.

Something like this https://www.screwfix.ie/p/blyss-wall-mounted-dry-inertia-ceramic-heater-2000w/437FH?gclid=CjwKCAjwrKr8BRB_EiwA7eFapumHGlyTDrgMcxAjcwxT9e0ZjVjeLvrfGyoTP4S_ONp57n2w_wgjxhoC0SYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds tends to work well,just because you have other stuff in the room doesn't mean that it'll be the best, as you said already the thermost isn't suitable for what you want so something will need to change anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ask a simple question... I'm not trying to control different radiators around the house. All I want to do is place a temperature sensor in the bathroom... And I'm just looking for some more details on how the scheduling works.

Your assumptions are incorrect, but I do appreciate you taking the time.

Right, so you don't want to control different radiators, you want to control 1 independently of the rest based on 1 sensor on a schedule which isn't available on the standard config of the sensor. I'd say a quick mail to their support team will get you your answer

Clareman wrote: »
    Right, so you don't want to control different radiators, you want to control 1 independently of the rest based on 1 sensor on a schedule which isn't available on the standard config of the sensor. I'd say a quick mail to their support team will get you your answer

Nope. I just want to add a temperature sensor to the bathroom and had a question regarding scheduling.

Thanks, that sounds lovely. I already have a Nest system and its great. I just have a specify question about scheduling when using a sensor...

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/9700013?hl=en

I think that's what you are looking for is it???

If you can give us the details of your heating, how many zones, if the bathroom is its own zone, what radiator controls you have in the bathroom, etc etc

Reading your posts I think you are trying to heat 1 room at a specific time while leaving the rest of the house unaffected, what you could do is turn off the other radiators in the zone and have the bathroom come on with the criteria you want, without something like a Tado that'll mean you will have to manually control the radiators.

• Advertisement

Nope. I just want to add a temperature sensor to the bathroom and had a question regarding scheduling.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9243487?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=e
    I think that has all the details.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/9700013?hl=en

I think that's what you are looking for is it???

If you can give us the details of your heating, how many zones, if the bathroom is its own zone, what radiator controls you have in the bathroom, etc etc

Reading your posts I think you are trying to heat 1 room at a specific time while leaving the rest of the house unaffected, what you could do is turn off the other radiators in the zone and have the bathroom come on with the criteria you want, without something like a Tado that'll mean you will have to manually control the radiators.

I have a two zone system + water. Thermostats in upstairs bedroom and living room. Living room thermostat also does hot water, which is mostly provided by solar.

I want all radiators on the first floor turned off. I just want the radiator/towel rail in the bathroom to turn on in the morning for one hour before anyone gets up. I can place the sensor in the bathroom...

My question was, considering the sensor has specific schedules for it to be active, does that mean that the heating is also limited to those schedules? I believe the answer is no... While the sensor is limited to a set schedule, that does not effect the heating schedule.

Example: the sensor is activated from 9pm - 7am (this just means that the sensor is providing a temperature reading to the thermostat/controller). But the heating does not have to be on from 9pm to 7am. I want the heating on from 6am - 7am.

Thanks, I'd been though that page a couple of times, but missed this:
    If you’re using Google Nest Temperature Sensors in your home, your thermostat will continue to follow its usual temperature schedule no matter which sensor is active. Your thermostat will always heat or cool to the scheduled temperature where the active sensor is located.

That's perfect, exactly what I needed to know & exactly how I need it to work.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Thanks, I'd been though that page a couple of times, but missed this:

That's perfect, exactly what I needed to know & exactly how I need it to work.

Thanks!

So how does this allow you to control the bathroom only ?

So how does this allow you to control the bathroom only ?

I don't use the other radiators... They are turned off at the valve. I just want a temperature reading from the bathroom to provide accurate information to the thermostat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

The Nest Temperaturs sensors (if this is what you are talking about - https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9248154) dont work in Europe unless things have changed.

The Nest Temperaturs sensors (if this is what you are talking about - https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9248154) dont work in Europe unless things have changed.

Lol, well that settles that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Lol, well that settles that

There is a simple solution to your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

With Tado, should you loose internet connection, is it possible to turn CH on it off? Is there a manual on/off button on the wireless receiver/extension kit?

With Tado, should you loose internet connection, is it possible to turn CH on it off? Is there a manual on/off button on the wireless receiver/extension kit?

No buttons for any manual override.

What I don't know is whether your last saved schedule is stored within your home setup. It would be nice to think that it is.

What I don't know is whether your last saved schedule is stored within your home setup. It would be nice to think that it is.

IIRC, You need the internet for the stat to respond manually, but I think this is changed with the V3+ bridge, as this is accessible to Apple home kit, which will address the stat on a point to point basis. I must experiment and see, but I have the V2 bridge.

Bit of a nuisance should you lose your internet connectivity for any reason, potentially left without heating.

I’m a sparks so could put it back to original setup pretty quickly, however for the normal person it could be a disaster

If it stored the last program then I suppose you would be ok?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Bought a Drayton Wiser Kit 3 in the amazon sales last week and now need to see about replacing our ESI ES3247B (2 zones and hw) controls with it.

How complicated a job would this be? Not sure if it's a sparks or plumber i'd call if i decide to not go the DIY route.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

I ended up panic buying a Tado° Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ with Hot Water Control plus a tado° Wired Smart Thermostat - Add-on during the last few minutes of the prime sale the other day and never checked if it was compatible!
    My system set up is
    Boiler- Ideal logic system s24ie
    Controller - EPH controls R37-HW E1820c
    Thermostat - EPH B1831
    Second thermostat- same as above.
    Both thermostats are wired thermostats.
    I've 3 zones in my house, upstairs downstairs, and hot water.
    I'm thinking now that I should've gotten the wired starter kit?
    I'm just wondering if I need to return it all, some of it or will it work with this set up?

• Advertisement

Bought a Drayton Wiser Kit 3 in the amazon sales last week and now need to see about replacing our ESI ES3247B (2 zones and hw) controls with it.

How complicated a job would this be? Not sure if it's a sparks or plumber i'd call if i decide to not go the DIY route.

Any advice?

Terminals 4, 3 and 6 on your device's wiring block to terminals 1. 2 and 3 on the Drayton wall plate.
    ESI

529825.jpg

Drayton

529147.jpg

deezell wrote: »
    Terminals 4, 3 and 6 on your device's wiring block to terminals 1. 2 and 3 on the Drayton wall plate.

Thanks Deezell, that makes sense, will have to have a look at the wiring block and see that it's that straightforward. Haven't been able to see any actual pics of the ESI wiring block online.

south wrote: »
    I ended up panic buying a Tado° Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ with Hot Water Control plus a tado° Wired Smart Thermostat - Add-on during the last few minutes of the prime sale the other day and never checked if it was compatible!
    My system set up is
    Boiler- Ideal logic system s24ie
    Controller - EPH controls R37-HW E1820c
    Thermostat - EPH B1831
    Second thermostat- same as above.
    Both thermostats are wired thermostats.
    I've 3 zones in my house, upstairs downstairs, and hot water.
    I'm thinking now that I should've gotten the wired starter kit?
    I'm just wondering if I need to return it all, some of it or will it work with this set up?

You should only need one Smart Thermostat for each existing Thermostat, and the new thermostats should be straight swaps.

However, you may need an extension krt in order to control the Hot Water.

TRV's are paired to Smart Thermostats by Tado. You can ask them to pair specific TRV's to specific Smart Thermostats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

You should only need one Smart Thermostat for each existing Thermostat, and the new thermostats should be straight swaps.

However, you may need an extension krt in order to control the Hot Water.

TRV's are paired to Smart Thermostats by Tado. You can ask them to pair specific TRV's to specific Smart Thermostats

Unfortunately Tado got back to me and said
    "
    The controller is not compatible and you won't be able to replace it with tado°."

They asked for photos of the thermostats and said "The thermostat is compatible and you will need the Wired Thermostat Starter Kit to replace this"
    I asked would I be able to control hot water with the wired kit and they replied No.
    I think I'll have to send the whole thing back.

south wrote: »
    Unfortunately Tado got back to me and said
    "
    The controller is not compatible and you won't be able to replace it with tado°."

They asked for photos of the thermostats and said "The thermostat is compatible and you will need the Wired Thermostat Starter Kit to replace this"
    I asked would I be able to control hot water with the wired kit and they replied No.
    I think I'll have to send the whole thing back.

Doesn't make sense, if both your stats are wired,you can just drop one or both tado stats n place of one, then You just set the eph to always on, or remove it and bind the two stat wires for CH 1 and CH2 from terminals 5 and 7 to the live of the ext kit. You then connect the HW wire from 3 to the Ext kit HW on terminal. If you want to uses the main stat wirelessly, say CH1, then connect terminal 5 to the ext kit CH on, and either turn up CH1 old stat full or else remove it and join the live and return together and blank off the hole in the wall.
    I don't see their problem, it's perfectly possible to setup a 3 zone system with 1 stat with ext kit, and one extra wired stat. Maybe they think you have wireless stats to the EPH, which would mean no existing wires for the wired Tado stat.

Thanks Deezell, that makes sense, will have to have a look at the wiring block and see that it's that straightforward. Haven't been able to see any actual pics of the ESI wiring block online.

That's it in the first image.

That's it in the first image.

Sorry, I meant a pic of the actual backplate, not a diagram. Helps me visualise the job.

Sorry, I meant a pic of the actual backplate, not a diagram. Helps me visualise the job.

Ah I see. Note I said wiring block for the ESI, it doesn't appear to have a wired backplate, just a terminal block, which may be unpluggable from the unit after it's detached from the wall. Instructions are brief, to put it mildly.
    https://www.esicontrols.co.uk/assets/es3247b-installation-instructions-web.pdf

Doesn't make sense, if both your stats are wired,you can just drop one or both tado stats n place of one, then You just set the eph to always on, or remove it and bind the two stat wires for CH 1 and CH2 from terminals 5 and 7 to the live of the ext kit. You then connect the HW wire from 3 to the Ext kit HW on terminal. If you want to uses the main stat wirelessly, say CH1, then connect terminal 5 to the ext kit CH on, and either turn up CH1 old stat full or else remove it and join the live and return together and blank off the hole in the wall.
    I don't see their problem, it's perfectly possible to setup a 3 zone system with 1 stat with ext kit, and one extra wired stat. Maybe they think you have wireless stats to the EPH, which would mean no existing wires for the wired Tado stat.

I have to say, I cannot see how a Tado cannot work, albeit needing to re-work something.

A simple option would be, if you planned to install Smart TRV's, then you could leave the upstairs zone permanently open and then you just have the main stat for heating and hot water.

Tado is designed as a two zone system but Deezell is always the guru around here.

I feel that Tado have clearly misunderstood something which you have told them.

• Advertisement

They sell additional wired stats to pair to the bridge, so it's not unreasonable to expect them to function as a seperate zone stat. Perhaps when he registered his main kit it appeared as the single ch zone plus HW, they're unaware he has an extra stat. If you gave them your current controller info and had only registered 1 stat, I could see how support would say it wouldn't work, (unlike the utilities flogging the Hub Controller dumb stat, they will happily combine your two zones into one on installation, and do a legger).

Advertisement