Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's dog and its owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭susign

pilly wrote:
    Personally I think it's an over-reaction if that's all the dog is doing.

pilly wrote:
    I'm confused. How has the problem spiralled? Am I getting it right in that the dog is not doing any harm apart from going to the toilet? I know it's a nuisance but I'm just wondering why you think things have spiralled.

No over re-action by an means, that statement is ignorant to the law. I was in the horrible situation if have to shoot two stray dogs on my land €2700 worth of damage caused with sheep dead, vetinary bills and still working at getting the wounded sheep to back into condition for sale. The owner was caught via text alert (came to collect stray dogs not knowing one of them was dead) they had to foot the bill. The second dog had to be put down. Every owner believes their own dog wouldn't attack animals. After the horrific mess I was put in, farmers in our area shoot the dogs as no point arguing with owners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

ganmo wrote: »
    Bringing in a load of ****ting sheep to stop a ****ting dog seems absurd to me, especially as you seem concerned mostly about picking up ****.

The sheep **** would be a temporary problem for a permanent solution.
    So how does it work exactly? Would you need to set up a business or do some paperwork to declare this as farm land?Would you not need to put in a proper fence to keep livestock, especially as this neighbour will be looking for things to complain about.
    After you post the act through the letterbox, what happens next? Do you have to make a log of evidence or is it just that once the dog comes into the garden and they take away the dog to be destroyed? 
    Which farmer is going to let you use their sheep as bait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

pilly wrote: »
    So shoot the dog because he has an irresponsible owner. I can't believe people on here.

No one suggested shooting the dog. They said tell the owner you will though in the hope they do the right thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Set up a motion activated sprinkler system.

Or if that's too expensive could you try spraying him with a hose a few times? That might stop him coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Is the dog from dangerous breeds and therefore would need muzzle. If he doesn't have on warden should be able to take.

Perhaps poo left outside door of house etc where it would get on shoes etc. would also be idea.

How about a campaign on social media being shown to customers. If affecting his business he might stop. Local IFA leader had dog bothering my poultry. I complained repeatedly and was laughed at. He didn't laugh when I attended the local IFA meeting and informed everyone of damage his dig had done. I never saw his dog again.

Can understand your frustration particularly when he seems aggressive. You don't want kids playing in ****e etc or worse being bitten.

Heard of case where neighbor brought neighbour to court over barking dogs and he won. Man had to keep indoors or get rid. Judge would find on your side as he's been in court before.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Jayop wrote:
    It's an absolute dose picking up someone else's dog's ****e from your garden. I live in an estate, I clean up after my dogs who aren't allowed to run wild, yet I have to pick up someone else's dogs crap a couple of times a week from my front garden too.

I live in a rural area with numerous dogs who wander around but I've fences and gates to stop them coming in.

If you want your property private and protected it's down to you to build these things.

I have a dog and only walk her on a lead and bring bags but occassionally there may be a **** outside my gate sometimes at worse. I wait for it to dry up and then sweep it up, no biggie.

My overall point is if you dont want unauthorised people on your property then you protect it.

tk123 wrote:
    Build a fence/wall so the dog can't get in? Not an idea situation as you'll be out of pocket but both dog and neighbour will be out of your hair then at least and you won't have to deal with him, the dog or the poo!

tk123 wrote:
    Build a fence/wall so the dog can't get in? Not an idea situation as you'll be out of pocket but both dog and neighbour will be out of your hair then at least and you won't have to deal with him, the dog or the poo!

tk123 wrote:

Molly1961 wrote:
    notjustsweet, I don't think I want to spend money to fence an entire acre of a garden for my neighbours' dog. I shouldn't have to either, I don't let my dogs out of my property to roam about and be a nuisance to other people. We, the Gardai and the Dog Warden cannot reason with them. I don't think the electric fence is a bizarre idea, I was hoping to get some other ideas that may have been tried and tested. I understand it is not the dog's fault, but the owners are more than happy to let this situation continue on. I would be worried having my dogs on someone elses property, not knowing if weedkiller, slug bait or other dangerous things are out there that could harm my dog.

Molly1961 wrote:
    notjustsweet, I don't think I want to spend money to fence an entire acre of a garden for my neighbours' dog. I shouldn't have to either, I don't let my dogs out of my property to roam about and be a nuisance to other people. We, the Gardai and the Dog Warden cannot reason with them. I don't think the electric fence is a bizarre idea, I was hoping to get some other ideas that may have been tried and tested. I understand it is not the dog's fault, but the owners are more than happy to let this situation continue on. I would be worried having my dogs on someone elses property, not knowing if weedkiller, slug bait or other dangerous things are out there that could harm my dog.

It may seem harsh but contact nearest farmer with shot gun. Speaking from experience all stray dogs are dangerous once they get together. They attack sheep for sport, straying once is fine, straying repeatedly means the most cost effective option is shooting. It saves suffering of sheep (even if they're not yours, the cruelty to sheep is tough to see). I contacted the guardy after finding the damage in my field, guardi told me shoot to kill. That's only leagal if they are at risk of causing or have caused damage on your property though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I live in a rural area with numerous dogs who wander around but I've fences and gates to stop them coming in.

If you want your property private and protected it's down to you to build these things.

I have a dog and only walk her on a lead and bring bags but occassionally there may be a **** outside my gate sometimes at worse. I wait for it to dry up and then sweep it up, no biggie.

My overall point is if you dont want unauthorised people on your property then you protect it.

sometimes outside your gate is different from every day and a dog that seems to be encouraged to do it on their property.

The owner shouldn't be letting their dog run wild. That should be your starting point rather than having a go at the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Diemos wrote: »
    Well the dog would be shocked, saying he owuld be electrocuted makes it sound like it would kill the dog, this is not the case.

An electric shock is being electrocuted. I didn't say or imply the dog would be killed, I'm not sure why you decided to say I did!

Taking steps to deliberately cause pain to an animal is cruel, the owner is to blame and not the dog.

Tbh now people are recommending op shoots the dog or gets a farmer to do so I'm out of this thread as its making me feel quite sick.

So how does it work exactly? Would you need to set up a business or do some paperwork to declare this as farm land?Would you not need to put in a proper fence to keep livestock, especially as this neighbour will be looking for things to complain about. After you post the act through the letterbox, what happens next? Do you have to make a log of evidence or is it just that once the dog comes into the garden and they take away the dog to be destroyed? Which farmer is going to let you use their sheep as bait?

We are talk about dogs not humans, simple phone call to guards as to what happened and guards handle the rest. I have been Through it recently and it was handled professionally. As regarding the fence, farmer fences his own animals in, doesn't fence dogs out. Once they cross farmers own land farmer is in his own right once he is licensed for the gun. It's not pleasant putting a dog down but we need to be responsible for own animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

kylith wrote: »
    Bonus points for the roof!

Was going to say shame it'd be a no-go since they're on the other side of a road, but a little training should sort out any problems with range.
    Build a trebuchet as a hobby exercise. You'll have the range sorted in no time.

While you're building that, put the occasional dog turd in an envelope, address it to them and put it in the post. No stamp needed.

Tbh now people are recommending op shoots the dog or gets a farmer to do so I'm out of this thread as its making me feel quite sick.

It disgusting I know, but I was literally sick with the sight if my lambs with heads hanging off and fleased mother's trying to lick them clean also. Sorry for the graphics here, but you need to see it from both sides. The owner wasnt going to cover my costs only for the guards had the dead dogbto bring to his house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Is the dog from dangerous breeds and therefore would need muzzle. If he doesn't have on warden should be able to take.

There's no such thing as "dangerous breeds" in Ireland, it's a restricted breeds list. And no, St. Bernards aren't on it.

susign wrote: »
    So how does it work exactly? Would you need to set up a business or do some paperwork to declare this as farm land?Would you not need to put in a proper fence to keep livestock, especially as this neighbour will be looking for things to complain about. After you post the act through the letterbox, what happens next? Do you have to make a log of evidence or is it just that once the dog comes into the garden and they take away the dog to be destroyed? Which farmer is going to let you use their sheep as bait?

We are talk about dogs not humans, simple phone call to guards as to what happened and guards handle the rest. I have been Through it recently and it was handled professionally. As regarding the fence, farmer fences his own animals in, doesn't fence dogs out. Once they cross farmers own land farmer is in his own right once he is licensed for the gun. It's not pleasant putting a dog down but we need to be responsible for own animals
    So you are a sheep farmer, right?
    Would you lend your sheep to the OP to be used as bait?

Dial Hard wrote:
    There's no such thing as "dangerous breeds" in Ireland, it's a restricted breeds list. And no, St. Bernards aren't on it.

Most breeds are safe as far as im aware of, the problems usually starts when a stray dog finds another stray -they get playfull and chase animals, sheep being easier targets than rabbits unfortunately. Some dog owners don't think of the risks when dogs stray. My neighbours are very good. The dogs I confronted travelled over 2 miles

So you are a sheep farmer, right? Would you lend your sheep to the OP to be used as bait?

Although your above post is more of a smart statement rather than a question I will respond. No I surly woul not, the dog only needs to be on the land, no farmer ever got in trouble for that. Shooting is a last resort. If the owner wont have the decency to accept responsibility there's no way I would have sympathy if he doesn't care. I was only ever in the unfortunate situation to have to do it once, it's not a nice thing by any means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I was going to suggest something similar. If there was a local farmer who had a spare sheep to graze, then deal with the dog that's worrying the sheep.

Implying the dog should be shot is not a solution. It's incredibly dumb. By all means, if you want issues with the law, follow this advice.
    Jayop wrote: »
    especially in an enclosed garden

It's obviously not very enclosed, is it?
    Jayop wrote: »
    No one suggested shooting the dog. They said tell the owner you will though in the hope they do the right thing.

Which would only compound the problem.
    So you are a sheep farmer, right?
    Would you lend your sheep to the OP to be used as bait?

This idea is idiotic.
    Molly1961 wrote: »
    ganmo, dog not approachable. Fence too costly. Anti-thief paint, is it legal?? Love the control of dogs act with sheep.

You have done all you can without spending money or altering your garden. Continue returning the poo and continue making complaints about the roaming dog, but if you are not getting anywhere with your neighbor, your only option is to splash out on some cash and install a fence or other deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Molly1961

Jayop, thanks for that. I sometimes wonder whether those people responding that it is all harmless and not really a nuisance let their dogs do its business in other people's gardens/property. As the dog warden said, they love the dog, but not the responsibility that comes with it. The care for my dogs, walking, feeding, cleaning up, etc. etc. takes up a lot of my time and I was well aware of it before I got them. The fact that my neighbour had a wonky leg (and brain) at the time they got their puppy that has now grown into pony size says it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In all seriousness though fling it back with a shovel.

So you are a sheep farmer, right? Would you lend your sheep to the OP to be used as bait?

Although your above post is more of a smart statement rather than a question I will respond. No I surly woul not, the dog only needs to be on the land, no farmer ever got in trouble for that. Shooting is a last resort. If the owner wont have the decency to accept responsibility there's no way I would have sympathy if he doesn't care. I was only ever in the unfortunate situation to have to do it once, it's not a nice thing by any means
    I'm just asking questions. I'm not trying to be smart at all. I just don't think any farmer in their right mind would lend sheep to the OP to be used as bait. We already know these neighbours are unreasonable and are 'playing a game' as the OP put it.
    I haven't said anything about farmers' rights. If a dog is attacking your sheep I'm 100% behind you, shoot the f**ker. 
    But mainly I'm discussing the feasibility of the OP borrowing some sheep and using this Act, which I think is a ridiculous idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

No over re-action by an means, that statement is ignorant to the law. I was in the horrible situation if have to shoot two stray dogs on my land €2700 worth of damage caused with sheep dead, vetinary bills and still working at getting the wounded sheep to back into condition for sale. The owner was caught via text alert (came to collect stray dogs not knowing one of them was dead) they had to foot the bill. The second dog had to be put down. Every owner believes their own dog wouldn't attack animals. After the horrific mess I was put in, farmers in our area shoot the dogs as no point arguing with owners

I totally agree. I live in an area surrounded by farms with livestock. I am fully aware and agree that if my dogs were chasing livestock that they would be shot. That is exactly why they are never unsupervised in the garden. People seem to treat their dogs these days as their "babies", I love my dogs, but they are dogs, not humans.

na1, well, I love that gun. Sadly out of price range.

I'm just asking questions. I'm not trying to be smart at all. I just don't think any farmer in their right mind would lend sheep to the OP to be used as bait. We already know these neighbours are unreasonable and are 'playing a game' as the OP put it. I haven't said anything about farmers' rights. If a dog is attacking your sheep I'm 100% behind you, shoot the f**ker. But mainly I'm discussing the feasibility of the OP borrowing some sheep and using this Act, which I think is a ridiculous idea.

In that case I apologize for my response. I also realized I am after upsetting alot of people by my comments based on some responses. I need to clarify that I am not suggesting luring a dog to a place to get shot. It is only if the farmers in area can be notified of the straying dog on a regular basis. If the farmer sees it on his land he uses his own sensible judgment. Its alot less cruel than dozens of lambs being butchered alive. I am still pnly recovering from this experience, and also is the owner. I was only lucky I found the owner. Most farmers can't prove it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

So how does it work exactly? Would you need to set up a business or do some paperwork to declare this as farm land?Would you not need to put in a proper fence to keep livestock, especially as this neighbour will be looking for things to complain about.
    After you post the act through the letterbox, what happens next? Do you have to make a log of evidence or is it just that once the dog comes into the garden and they take away the dog to be destroyed? 
    Which farmer is going to let you use their sheep as bait?

To buy sheep you need to get a flock number from the dept, they come out and have a look at your facilities.

The ground would have to be stock proof which sounds like the garden isn't.

Posting the act through the letterbox isn't nessecary just giving the guy a hint at what going to happen.

Once a dog is shot for dog worrying livestock the shooter has 48 hours to inform the gardai. No obligation to inform the dog owner

Molly1961 wrote:
    I totally agree. I live in an area surrounded by farms with livestock. I am fully aware and agree that if my dogs were chasing livestock that they would be shot. That is exactly why they are never unsupervised in the garden. People seem to treat their dogs these days as their "babies", I love my dogs, but they are dogs, not humans.

Thanks for your comment :)

Or if that's too expensive could you try spraying him with a hose a few times? That might stop him coming back.

Sorry, but I work from home, so don't have the time to wait around for a number of hours with a hosepipe until the dog gets the urge. Not sure if you are a dog owner, but that would only work with a yorkshire terrier type dog. I still like the electric fence solution best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Molly1961 wrote: »
    ganmo, dog not approachable. Fence too costly. Anti-thief paint, is it legal?? Love the control of dogs act with sheep.

How much would an electric fence be? Bear in mind you wouldn't need to keep it powered for long, just until the dog got stung a few times and learned to stay away.

How much would an electric fence be? Bear in mind you wouldn't need to keep it powered for long, just until the dog got stung a few times and learned to stay away.

We still have a mains fencer from when we had a goat many years ago. Only need to enclose around the hole that the dog made in our hedge. I suspect this is the way forward then. Someone mentioned about liability?? What is that all about. If I put up a sign to say that there is an electric fence, is that not enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

Would you consider spraying lemongrass around the area that the dog is breaking through? I don't think dogs like citrus scents so it might deter him. Does he poo in the same place? Again, I'd make up a spray with the lemongrass oil and spray it around that area.
    Worth a shot surely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement