Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last minute CAO choices (advice needed)

• 29-06-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all! The deadline for CAO choices is fast approacing and I'm still unsure what to put as my first choice. I'm interested in second level teaching and law but I'm unsure of I should just go for law? I'm considering arts at NUIG because I could do history, English and law, but I've been told so often that teaching, especially with regards to history and English, is v hard to secure a job in.

I would also be interested to hear what people think is the best option for law, civil law or corporate law?

I'm the first person in my house to go to college so my mother is in the dark and can't offer me much advice. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toryhillgoats

Hi all! The deadline for CAO choices is fast approacing and I'm still unsure what to put as my first choice. I'm interested in second level teaching and law but I'm unsure of I should just go for law? I'm considering arts at NUIG because I could do history, English and law, but I've been told so often that teaching, especially with regards to history and English, is v hard to secure a job in.

I would also be interested to hear what people think is the best option for law, civil law or corporate law?

I'm the first person in my house to go to college so my mother is in the dark and can't offer me much advice. Thanks a million!

Hey! I hope this response isn't too late! Sorry if it is!
    Civil Law = 3 years/4 years international. It can be done with German and French at advanced and Italian at beginners. It covers all the subjects you need for both the solicitor and barrister exams. You have the option to do an Erasmus if you have an average of over 60% even if you don't do a language! Also in final year in semester two you do a work placement in the legal sector so for a law firm etc
    Corporate Law = 4 years which can be non international or international (even if you don't do a language - languages offered Spanish (beginners), both German, French advanced - i.e. Done for the leaving ).You cover some of the subjects for the solicitor and barrister exams but not all it's about 60% law 40% business. You do accounting marketing etc so you need to like or be able to do these subjects as you'll be doing them into final year. Since you don't cover all the subjects for the barrister and solicitor exams they offer the llb (masters in law) for a year I think to cover you for the exams but it's an extra 6000€ for the year which would make it five years before you would potentially sit the exams. Not sure about work placement but there is one in the llb.
    BA Law = 3/4 years international -again with or without a language - languages on offer French, Spanish, Italian and German. Again you cover some but not all of the subjects for the exams so you will probably have to do the llb after again. You can combine Law with history or English of which the majority of people pick anyway. Unlike corporate and civil you have to compete to get into the top 100 to keep your place in second year. This is usually out of 200 and is easy to do if you do the odd bit of study. Often people find the subject too difficult so they drop it anyway. There is no work placement but there is one in the llb.

Civil is the fastest route to becoming a solicitor, corporate is good if you like business or law and are not too sure and ba is good if you're not sure if you want to do law but don't want the hassle of switching courses or starting anew the following year.
    I can't comment on history or English but my friends who love history love it because you get to study such different topics to leaving very so if you did it for leaving it's ten times better than it and for English, in university it's nothing like how it's done for the leaving so it can be hit or miss. Honestly the best advice that I got is to do what you like and then you'll excel.
    Did grand in the leaving and I am now top of my year in nuig because I love my course, was going to do accounting for the jobs but changed my cao and I've never regretted it as I would have more than likely dropped out.
    Best of luck! I hope I've helped and anyway it all works out in the end so don't worry! 👻

Advertisement