Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four year olds appetite

Options
  • 29-06-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

My just turned four years old girl is a good eater. She eats all her veg, eats a lot of fruit and will try anything once! She is constantly saying she's hungry though. I don't want to restrict her but ita literally every 30 minutes or so, in between meals, she asks. If she asks, ill give her sme fruit or a babybel or something. She doesn't get a lot of treats. She gets fed well in creche and as far as I know doesn't look for extra food while in there, but it seem a constant thing at home. Do I give her food every time she is hungry, or do I restrict at certain times? I have food issues myself and want to make sure she doesn't develop any. At a loss at what the right thing to do is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Could she actually be thirsty? It's common for people to mistake thirst for hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

bee06 wrote: »
    Could she actually be thirsty? It's common for people to mistake thirst for hunger.

I thought that too so I give her a drink as well but she usually gives out and says she just wants food!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Met a friend's four year old lately .....doing the exact same thing.Every thirty mins she was looking for a sandwich or fruit etc.My older one has definite phases of this, they tend to coincide with her growing out of every item of clothing she has. I'd feed her but keep it fruit etc and make sure it's not too close to her meals, so that she can fill up in breakfast, dinner etc.They do a lot of growing, so it's hard to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My kids say this constantly. Like ourselves , I think they like to eat if they are bored. So I try to distract them, e.g. Ok you tidy up all your toys and when they are tidy we will get something to eat.
    I suppose it could become a problem if she constantly snacks and then doesn't want dinner which happens with mine sometimes.
    I find nuts a good snack as they are more filling than fruit or veg , and lots of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I have this with my two year old and have done since she could talk - drives me insane. Literally every half hour "I wanna eat" argh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

MSo I try to distract them, e.g. Ok you tidy up all your toys and when they are tidy we will get something to eat.

This is a fantastic tactic for lots of different situations. "I want to watch a cartoon" - well tidy up all your toys, and and hour later she's still fumbling around playing with some of the toys she was 'putting away'

Advertisement