Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company closing Notice

Options
  • 29-06-2017 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If a company is going under because they won't be able to pay wages, what is the notice period for employees? Can the company just literally lock them out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi,

If a company is going under because they won't be able to pay wages, what is the notice period for employees? Can the company just literally lock them out?

If they can't pay wages, what's the point in notice? You won't be paid during the notice period, you'd be working knowing you won't be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The employees don't know. Middle management do and would prefer to tell the employees but are not allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The employees don't know. Middle management do and would prefer to tell the employees but are not allowed

What have middle management got to lose by telling employees? If it's going under, it's going under. You must be middle management if you know, so do the decent thing and allow the employees to start job hunting so they can pay their mortgages and support their families.

davo10 wrote: »
    What have middle management got to lose by telling employees? If it's going under, it's going under. You must be middle management if you know, so do the decent thing and allow the employees to start job hunting so they can pay their mortgages and support their families.

I've nothing to do with it, I'm a public servant. It's a mate but they've been told they aren't allowed to say anything as management and that nothing needs to be said under law. I was curious if that is truly the case.

Edit: Sorry for clarity

The company cannot pay wages from x date
    The company management do not plan to tell employees until x date plus two weeks.

In otherwords the date that they plan on telling the rest of the employees would mean they had worked two weeks which they know they don't currently have the money to pay them for

Is that even legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

That sounds as if they are trading while insolvent which I believe is illegal. If they cant pay the shop floor you can be sure that middle management wont be paid either.

It also puts the directors on very sticky ground legally and open to prosecution on a number of charges.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    That sounds as if they are trading while insolvent which I believe is illegal. If they cant pay the shop floor you can be sure that middle management wont be paid either.

It also puts the directors on very sticky ground legally and open to prosecution on a number of charges.

It all sounds very messy. Albeit that it's a fair possibility I'm not getting the full story

Advertisement