Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measuring 5 days behind at 28wks.

Options
  • 29-06-2017 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

At scan today was told babs measuring 5 days behind but still at 50th percentile. But that otherwise all looked well and his growth curve was consistent. Trying not to dwell as these measures can vary. I'm inclined to up my protein intake from now just in case. I'm due a growth scan anyway in the hospital at 32wks because my placenta was lying low. And back to Gp next week so can always chat with her if I need to do anything else in the meantime. Anyone have this experience? This was a private scan, outside the public hospital and not due back to hospital for 4wks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

73trix wrote: »
    At scan today was told babs measuring 5 days behind but still at 50th percentile. But that otherwise all looked well and his growth curve was consistent. Trying not to dwell as these measures can vary. I'm inclined to up my protein intake from now just in case. I'm due a growth scan anyway in the hospital at 32wks because my placenta was lying low. And back to Gp next week so can always chat with her if I need to do anything else in the meantime. Anyone have this experience? This was a private scan, outside the public hospital and not due back to hospital for 4wks.

Hi Trix,

5 days behind is nothing, they told me that they are concerned when measurements are less than or greater than 2 weeks either side of your EDD.

To put into perspective, my baby was measuring around 50th centile for everything, except small stomach and weight which bought her down to 7th centile. I had to go for fetal assessment scans every other week and growth scans every other week. She picked up to around 17th centile so she is out of the danger zone and I am back in the local clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I would have thought 5 days v little but he must have said "measuring small" about 3 times! I'll be back to the regular hospital sonographer and clinic in 4wks so will see what they're saying then.

That must have been a worry for you but seems she's doing much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I would have thought 5 days v little but he must have said "measuring small" about 3 times! I'll be back to the regular hospital sonographer and clinic in 4wks so will see what they're saying then.

That must have been a worry for you but seems she's doing much better.

Ahh it was a worry, they just said small babies can go into distress more easily and to keep a close eye on movements. I came off the steroid I was taking and it seemed to help pick up growth, consulant said she was surprised as I was on such a low dose and she's seen many women on higher with no adverse effects, but it was a small risk and why I was getting a growth scan in the first place.

But yeah, I wouldn't lose any sleep over 5 days difference and 32 weeks the baby could always have a bit of a spurt! That was the other thing they said, they couldn't be 100% sure it was definitely the steroids as they would have expected head and femur measurements to be small and some babies just pack on more weight the last few weeks. Never had any scans after anomaly on AJ so I couldn't say that maybe my babies are just like that.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you quite petite yourself? My SIL had a scan and the sonographer had the absolute crap scared out of her saying how the baby was measuring very small etc. She's very small herself, like a size 6, and quite petite.

She saw her consultant a week later and was asking him about it and he just looked at her and said "sure look at the size of you, of course you're not going to have a big baby, don't be worrying everything is grand." Baby came out just under 7lb and was perfect.

Toots wrote: »
    Are you quite petite yourself? My SIL had a scan and the sonographer had the absolute crap scared out of her saying how the baby was measuring very small etc. She's very small herself, like a size 6, and quite petite.

She saw her consultant a week later and was asking him about it and he just looked at her and said "sure look at the size of you, of course you're not going to have a big baby, don't be worrying everything is grand." Baby came out just under 7lb and was perfect.

I'm average but Def not petite. My partners nieces and nephews have all been just under or over 6lb so maybe this one will be small. our son was a 9+pounder tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

5 days really isn't bad. I have the opposite problem :( My baby is measuring huge, almost 3 weeks ahead. His percentiles were 98, 93, 90 and 89. I've been so upset and worried since my scan. I was 32 weeks at the time and he measured 35.

My partner is very tall but I'm still freaked out. The worst part is I'm based in Paris and if your baby is more than 7lbs it is seen to be huge. The doctor was horrible to me during the scan and very judgmental.

I had the GTT test done before and bloods were perfect. I had them redone after the scan and they were perfect too. I feel so guilty, I feel like I'm doing something to make the baby huge and I'm worried about his health.

I'm coming home on July 5th for the birth so will be having a scan in Ireland then. I feel awful :(

5 days really isn't bad. I have the opposite problem :( My baby is measuring huge, almost 3 weeks ahead. His percentiles were 98, 93, 90 and 89. I've been so upset and worried since my scan. I was 32 weeks at the time and he measured 35.

My partner is very tall but I'm still freaked out. The worst part is I'm based in Paris and if your baby is more than 7lbs it is seen to be huge. The doctor was horrible to me during the scan and very judgmental.

I had the GTT test done before and bloods were perfect. I had them redone after the scan and they were perfect too. I feel so guilty, I feel like I'm doing something to make the baby huge and I'm worried about his health.

I'm coming home on July 5th for the birth so will be having a scan in Ireland then. I feel awful :(

Hi unknowing. For what it's worth, our lad was in the 90th percentiles across the board at 32wk scan and they were predicting my going early / having a 10pounder etc. He was 9lb 3 in the end. I'd no GTT or any other issues. Best of luck. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Hi unknowing. For what it's worth, our lad was in the 90th percentiles across the board at 32wk scan and they were predicting my going early / having a 10pounder etc. He was 9lb 3 in the end. I'd no GTT or any other issues. Best of luck. X

Same, I was always measuring between 90th and 95th percentile, little dude was only 7lb 3oz in the end, and that was at a week past due date! We had a really detailed 3D scan in Holles St at 39 weeks pregnant and I was warned he'd be very big, they don't always get these things right.

Thanks for the reassurance, makes me feel a lot better. It was a comprehensive 4D scan so I was worried it was an accurate estimation.

So happy to hear both your stories, not feeling as scared now x

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I think my first was measuring around 5 days behind at 24 weeks and around 12 days behind by the end. I was getting scans every week for a different issue and the consultant was not in the slightest bit concerned about the size. He estimated baby would be 6-7lb at term and he was born at 39 weeks at 6lb 12oz and perfectly healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was told they reckoned my baby would be about 6lbs. He came out a week overdue at 8lbs 2oz :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Oh and for what it's worth, he WAS actually in the 95ish percentile for height. But at 7lb 3oz, only around 25th percentile for weight. Not in a bad way, not a thing wrong with him. But in multiple scans, they had his tummy circumference and head circumference etc all came out measuring very high, whereas when he was actually born, they came out measuring bang on the average.

I don't know if it's the fact that he was tall and skinny that threw off the scan measurements? It's not weird that he has an athletic built, I've a few tall skinny siblings (although neither myself nor his dad are in any way tall or athletic!) Just a genes thing I guess.

Lady is a tramp, I will sleep easier tonight thanks to you x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My six month old measured 6 days behind on a couple of scans. They wouldn't change the edd because it had to be 7 or more. In the end she was 10 days overdue-don't know if that was because of the dates obviously but she was 8lb 4 when she arrived!

I think 5 days behind wouldn't be an issue and hopefully the hospital scan will put you at ease.

Advertisement