Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick rugby experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

bigpink wrote: »
    Does Jp McManus make money from gambling and the horse racing gambling industry?
    Well this venture is a gamble but having Jp and Poc well help it with the council and media
    We need more housing and hotel beds first and in time attractions

Yes we do need housing, but it's not an either or situation, we need all these things and we can't force people to build housing.

If private investors want to spend their money on a museum rather than housing then that's their lookout. You can't tell people what to do with their own money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

source wrote: »
    Yes we do need housing, but it's not an either or situation, we need all these things and we can't force people to build housing.

If private investors want to spend their money on a museum rather than housing then that's their lookout. You can't tell people what to do with their own money.

I agree with you but is say the local council will bend over backwards for these guys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I agree with you but is say the local council will bend over backwards for these guys

And I'm sure if someone came along willing to build hotels and housing they would be more than amenable to them too.

I know a person who was trying to get a food hall market going.Local heathly independent suppliers etc it was a very good plan and they could not get any support at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's worth at least 10 million to the city!

Is that every week or every fortnight....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know a person who was trying to get a food hall market going.Local heathly independent suppliers etc it was a very good plan and they could not get any support at all

There's a huge difference between someone wanting to open a shop and someone wanting to develop something as large as a hotel or apartment block or this museum.

It was a project as a community business hub was for the benefit of the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A couple of inaccuracies there Townie. The Munster Rugby Store didn't close due to lack of interest. Lifestyle took over the sale of Munster apparel and it was decided to let the lease lapse as they already had multiple outlets around Limerick selling the same gear.
    Also the country doesn't grind to a halt for GAA. Certain counties might around All Ireland final time, but as there's not national team (compromise rules isn't a sport) the whole county doesn't.
    The 6 nations and Ireland matches in particular have some of the highest sport TV audiences year on year in Ireland. During the last world cup 1.6m people watched the France game. A Wales v Australia game had 800K viewers.
    While rugby is a smaller sport than GAA and football, it's growing rapidly in non traditional rugby areas

Now this for some facts

In 2016 a year without a RWC, rugby games came 14th (NZ v Ire), 18th (France v Ire 6N), and 19th (Eng v Ire 6N) in the list of must watched TV programmes, of sports programming that was 10th, 11th and 12th.
    That year was dominated by Euro 2016 but GAA also was ahead of rugby
    http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Heres-the-most-watched-TV-shows-in-Ireland-in-2016/389335.htm

In 2015 a year with a RWC , rugby shows came 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th and 16th in the top 20, pretty impressive
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/listings/these-were-the-mostwatched-shows-on-irish-tv-in-2015-34353491.html

In 2014, again a year without a RWC, a rugby show came 6th in the top 10. Beating soccer and GAA
    http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/The-most-watched-Irish-TV-shows-of-2014-are/321956.html

And in 2013, no RWC, a rugby show was 11th in the top 20, beaten by GAA
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/ireland-most-watched-tv-shows-2013-1267197-Jan2014/

2012 the best rugby came in sports was 9th, in a year dominated by Euro 2012 an the London Olympics, but GAA was again ahead of rugby.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2013/0117/363267-rte-sport-scores-well-in-2012-viewing-figures/

in 2011 the RWC was again on, but this time in NZ and the time zones were all over the place, no rugby game made the top 10. Two GAA games did.
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/the-most-watched-programmes-in-ireland-last-year-332260-Jan2012/

The post claims that "6 nations and Ireland matches in particular have some of the highest sport TV audiences year on year in Ireland"

That is not really the case, there is a spattering of 6N games here and there but noting consistent. It's pretty consistent with it being the 4th most popular filed sport in the country.
    2015 and a RWC in England obviously did grab a big audience
    Also there is no evidence of Wales v Australia getting 800k viewers, England v Australia got 688k, That was the highest non Irish game and the only rugby game in any of the years I have quoted that did not contain Ireland.

Soccer seems to be determined by Ireland participation in big tournaments, 2016 and 2012 having lots of soccer in the top 10/20 and very little in 2014 when Ireland were not at the 2014 FIFA WC
    GAA hurling and football finals are more consistent that rugby or soccer.

I think there is a market for a rugby museum in Ireland, but I think the market would be bigger if it were located somewhere in Dublin, close to the stadium and the rugby heartland of south Dublin city.
    Not on a street in Limerick.

Ah if it isn't Todd. I thought you'd still be basking in the glory of Ireland not getting the 2023 RWC. But no you're still trawling boards to to find something about rugby that you can **** on.

Believe it or not, Rugby being in top 10 (or even 20) most watched sports events on TV in any given year counts as some of the highest viewed sports events in the country.

Note that I never claimed it had the highest audience.

Ah if it isn't Todd. I thought you'd still be basking in the glory of Ireland not getting the 2023 RWC. But no you're still trawling boards to to find something about rugby that you can **** on.

Believe it or not, Rugby being in top 10 (or even 20) most watched sports events on TV in any given year counts as some of the highest viewed sports events in the country.

Note that I never claimed it had the highest audience.

Can't gloat about RWC 2023 cos I'm banned from rugby form for suggesting that the bid was not a good idea.

Your setting the bar pretty low with rugby being in the top 10 or 20 sports events on TV.

If rugby was as popular as people suggest then multiple Ireland 6 nations games would be in the top 10 not just the odd one or two.

And like you never claimed rugby had the highest audience I too said that a rugby museum may be feasible, but in Dublin rather than Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm happy with the concept of a museum but if the artist's impression is what they're planning to build there then I'm not sure it fits in with what's surrounding it.
    I'd actually have preferred if they took over and renovated what was the Globe on Cecil Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Can't gloat about RWC 2023 cos I'm banned from rugby form for suggesting that the bid was not a good idea.

Your setting the bar pretty low with rugby being in the top 10 or 20 sports events on TV.

If rugby was as popular as people suggest then multiple Ireland 6 nations games would be in the top 10 not just the odd one or two.

And like you never claimed rugby had the highest audience I too said that a rugby museum may be feasible, but in Dublin rather than Limerick

Sorry to rain on your parade, but we've already got a Rugby Museum in Limerick http://thomondpark.ie/museum-meeting-rooms-in-munster/information-irish-event-facility/
    and luckily for Limerick, the local self made billionaire is funding another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It was a project as a community business hub was for the benefit of the city

There is one in Southill

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but we've already got a Rugby Museum in Limerick http://thomondpark.ie/museum-meeting-rooms-in-munster/information-irish-event-facility/
    and luckily for Limerick, the local self made billionaire is funding another one.

I think the debate is more about the feasibility of the project and whether it will be a success.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

i get why some people are questioning the appeal of a rugby museum in limerick. it doesn't fit with he existing limerick offering like the hunt, the limerick and the frank mccourt museums, but IMO this is a good thing. these are all quality museums, but the only one that actively draws people to limerick to visit it is the frank mccourt museum, and the numbers visiting this aren't huge. the other 2 are nice things to do once you visit limerick, but no-one will come to the city just to see them. the limerick rugby experience, if successful could do exactly that.

there are 150k registered players (all ages/sexes) in the island of ireland, while england have 2 million registered players. these numbers don't take into account people such as myself who played all the way through underage and since left, or people who love the game but never played. the target audience is out there and if this project is successful it could potentially draw a new type of traveller to the city. anyone who follows rugby in europe will have hear of munster and limerick so having such an attraction, if its good enough could entice people to visit. i don't think we will see anyone from the southern hemisphere travelling, but there are plenty of people from that direction who are living in Ireland and the uk too!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

:rolleyes:
    Instead of throwing your eyes you'd be far better off not talking nonsense ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Townie_P wrote: »
    Instead of throwing your eyes you'd be far better off not talking nonsense ;)
    How was i talking nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Coslo

Hi all,

Not sure if this is still active, but I am doing a journalism project on the reaction to the Limerick Rugby Experience and was wondering would anyone be interested in doing a quick interview?

What about the Thomond Park museum!Or the one in Parnell street?
    I think a rugby museum might work in a smaller scale with les hype and build it slowly but because it’s paul o Connell and Jp McManus people are fawning over it
    Jp has serious power and will get rules and rulings overturned

One of the most successful business men that Limerick has produced wants to back a rugby museum in Limerick. He wouldn't be putting his money behind it unless he'd done some due diligence. It's a private endeavour with no public money involved so even if it does fail, then it's of no issue to anyone other than the private investors.
    I can't understand why certain posters are against it other than their dislike of rugby.

Is his money not from gambling and horse racing?He is very weathly and a good guy no doubt but still a tax exile.Is the horse industry tax free??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Is his money not from gambling and horse racing?He is very weathly and a good guy no doubt but still a tax exile.Is the horse industry tax free??

What is wrong with being a "tax exile" Reality is he lives overseas and pays the relevant taxes in the country he resides in. The law for you is the exact same and you can live overseas too if you wish, and avail of the local tax rules.

jasper100 wrote: »
    What is wrong with being a "tax exile" Reality is he lives overseas and pays the relevant taxes in the country he resides in. The law for you is the exact same and you can live overseas too if you wish, and avail of the local tax rules.

He does contribute a lot to the city and county, so in that regard I dont mind if he is exploiting the tax laws.

You actually have a problem with absolutely everything bigpink

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

If you go abroad and make money you are a tax exile, if you go abroad and go broke you are an immigrant.

No hope it goes ahead but it’s a huge risk.Actually what is the useage on the planning I.e museum cultural?Or can it be changed to retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

hopefully the rugby museum will be open by the time the tag world cup comes to Limerick

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/limerick-will-host-the-2021-tag-rugby-world-cup-37788280.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

mdmix wrote: »
    hopefully the rugby museum will be open by the time the tag world cup comes to Limerick

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/limerick-will-host-the-2021-tag-rugby-world-cup-37788280.html

My understanding is that this will take place in UL and teams will be staying in UL accommodation?

mdmix wrote: »

Doubt many from a tag tournament will go to a museum it’s more a social and drinking event

Doubt many from a tag tournament will go to a museum it’s more a social and drinking event

You're way off there :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

panda100 wrote: »
    My understanding is that this will take place in UL and teams will be staying in UL accommodation?

I'd say it's fairly likely some of the 3000+ family etc might wander outside the UL campus at some stage over the few days.

Advertisement