Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick rugby experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

panda100 wrote: »
    My understanding is that this will take place in UL and teams will be staying in UL accommodation?
    It does and they will but they'll all be in the city regularly as well
    bigpink wrote: »
    Doubt many from a tag tournament will go to a museum it’s more a social and drinking event
    They certainly would. There'll be plenty visiting museum in thomond and going on tour there as well as any other activities in city and beyond...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Does anyone know how well the Thomond Park museum and tour does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Just digging this up, this has officially been approved and work is to start in the coming weeks.

Is there a link to the plans online? I cant seem to find them, it is now to incorporate the fine wines shop too. Id love to know the height of this as it looks taller than the AIB block across the road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

dave 27 wrote: »
    Just digging this up, this has officially been approved and work is to start in the coming weeks.

Is there a link to the plans online? I cant seem to find them, it is now to incorporate the fine wines shop too. Id love to know the height of this as it looks taller than the AIB block across the road

All the planning docs are here
    GN4_DAT_11869148.jpg--a_new_impression_of_the_international_rugby_experience__which_has_been_designed_by_top_architects_niall_mclaughlin.jpg

All the planning docs are here
    GN4_DAT_11869148.jpg--a_new_impression_of_the_international_rugby_experience__which_has_been_designed_by_top_architects_niall_mclaughlin.jpg

Thanks for that, did i miss something here or does it state the overall height anywhere? At a guess I would say its just over 30m tall but could be wrong

• Advertisement

I honestly can't wait for this. It's gonna be fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It screams Celtworld 2.0 to me! Guess we’ll have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

It screams Celtworld 2.0 to me! Guess we’ll have to wait and see!

I'd forgotten about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

32 metres

BazzFan123 wrote: »
    32 metres

Where did you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

Skyscrapercity and that person said they saw it in the planning documents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

What is the point of this building?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stab*City wrote: »
    What is the point of this building?

To house an experience of Limerick Rugby and Rugby in general

Mc Love wrote: »
    To house an experience of Limerick Rugby and Rugby in general

Why just rugby though? Can it be expanded to include other sports?

Because of the history of rugby in the city.
    Why should it have to include other sports? With so much of Munster rugbys links to the city and success of Munster Rugby rugby should be prime focus.
    What cities have general sports museum focusing on all sports achievements?

Because it's a private investor and they can do whatever they want.

Because of the history of rugby in the city.
    Why should it have to include other sports? With so much of Munster rugbys links to the city and success of Munster Rugby rugby should be prime focus.
    What cities have general sports museum focusing on all sports achievements?

Do Cork have one?
    Because it's a private investor and they can do whatever they want.

Ok so that's why then. Must be a big rugby fan.

Do Cork have one?
    There isnt a museum in Cork for any sport/sporting organisation
    He's a sports fan. Doesnt differentiate from all accounts. Huge racing. Limerick GAA fan as well.

Do Cork have one?

Why would Cork have one? This is intended to be unique. It isn't intended to be a Limerick only/specific experience. It's called International Rugby Experience specifically because it's not about the history on Limerick rugby, it's about the history of the sport in general.

Why would Cork have one? This is intended to be unique. It isn't intended to be a Limerick only/specific experience. It's called International Rugby Experience specifically because it's not about the history on Limerick rugby, it's about the history of the sport in general.

Oh right, Fair enough. Wonder will it be popular with people outside of Limerick other than match days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Oh right, Fair enough. Wonder will it be popular with people outside of Limerick other than match days.

Time will tell, i don't think it will be that busy tbh. But they're throwing a lot of money at it. If it's anything like the last venture JP threw a lot of money at, I'm sure it will be a success

Most of the crowd in for the Munster matches is for beer and go to the match can’t see many going in
    Only just families but even museums can be boring for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote:
    Time will tell, i don't think it will be that busy tbh. But they're throwing a lot of money at it. If it's anything like the last venture JP threw a lot of money at, I'm sure it will be a success

The footbridge?

Mc Love wrote: »

Ya its just an odd choice I think, I could understand if it was a GAA experience or a more Limerick related topic but Rugby?

How well does The Thomond Park experience do?

Didn't even know there was one..

Ya its just an odd choice I think, I could understand if it was a GAA experience or a more Limerick related topic but Rugby?
    Why would it be more understanding if it was GAA or general Limerick related.
    Rugby between Munster, parish clubs in the city and success of them, Thomond Park etc

Again, it's not meant to be Limerick specific. A Limerick specific museum wouldn't pay the bills. I have no idea if it will work, but their aim is to attract rugby fans from around the world who are visiting Ireland to come to Limerick.

Why would it be more understanding if it was GAA or general Limerick related.
    Rugby between Munster, parish clubs in the city and success of them, Thomond Park etc

Well considering Rugby is an English sport and Munsters success has dwindled in recent years, I'm just wondering what impact a, for the most part middle to upper class sport experience would have on a working class town like Limerick.

• Advertisement

There is no Thomond Park experience. It's the Munster Rugby museum and stadium tour. The Experience has nothing to do with Munster rugby.

Advertisement