Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick rugby experience

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Stab*City wrote: »
    Well considering Rugby is an English sport and Munsters success has dwindled in recent years, I'm just wondering what impact a, for the most part middle to upper class sport experience would have on a working class town like Limerick.

Rugby in Limerick is most definitely not a middle to upper class sport. Ever heard of Shannon and Young Munster?

And Rugby is not an 'English sport'. The IRFU is older than the GAA.

And for the umpteen time, this project is not related to Munster or dependent on their supporter base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Well considering Rugby is an English sport and Munsters success has dwindled in recent years, I'm just wondering what impact a, for the most part middle to upper class sport experience would have on a working class town like Limerick.
    where the sport of rugby originated from should have no relevance to this discussion and Munsters support has steadied/increased from its lowest level and the sport is far from middle/upper class in most of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Rugby in Limerick is most definitely not a middle to upper class sport. Ever heard of Shannon and Young Munster?

And for the umpteen time, this project is not related to Munster or dependent on their supporter base.

Don’t doubt one time rugby was huge in working class areas but deffo not now.Not too many locals from Weston playing with Young Munster nowadays

bigpink wrote: »
    Don’t doubt one time rugby was huge in working class areas but deffo not now.Not too many locals from Weston playing with Young Munster nowadays

How do you know? Have you been to any under age or junior games? I'm from a working class area and I guarantee you that it's still popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Still very much is between work being put in by Marys, Thomond etc.
    Still extremely popular and how do you know? Do you attend club games be they adult or age grade?

• Advertisement

Still very much is between work being put in by Marys, Thomond etc.
    Still extremely popular and how do you know? Do you attend club games be they adult or age grade?

Father is Young Munsters go sometimes still but he tells me the working class heart is dying in the club it’s becoming much more middle class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Yes i have heard of all the clubs actually, Rugby was invented in England, so yes it is an English sport. And the IRFU may be older than the GAA by a few years but the sports are centuries apart. And yes i do think this venture is very much dependant on the Munster supporter base. You think people will come to Limerick especially to see a few jerseys on the wall? I dont think youll get many FAI supporters travelling down from Dublin after the soccer.
    where the sport of rugby originated from should have no relevance to this discussion and Munsters support has steadied/increased from its lowest level and the sport is far from middle/upper class in most of the country.

And why not because you say so? I could understand if Limerick was "the home of rugby" but its not. I have Munster season tickets and you don't need to tell me about attendance i see all the empty seats except for Champions Cup and Leinster games regularly. And i also see the demographic going to these events and yes very very middle - upper class. Go to a Limerick Fc match see the difference first hand if you don't believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

. And yes i do think this venture is very much dependant on the Munster supporter base. You think people will come to Limerick especially to see a few jerseys on the wall?

I think any visitor to the city is a potential customer of this...regardless of their roots or club or sport they support....the same as any attraction in any city. I'm not an art fan, but I've gone to art museums all over the world.

I'd say a few jerseys on the wall is a very low estimation of what this will be tbh. I'd expect from what I'm hearing and the people involved, this is going to be quite high tech and interactive..

I've gone to loads of similar places in other cities, that are not something I would go to or have interest in normally. I'm sure everyone has,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

tototoe wrote: »

I'd say a few jerseys on the wall is a very low estimation of what this will be tbh. I'd expect from what I'm hearing and the people involved, this is going to be quite high tech and interactive.

So do you reckon they'll have replicas of some of the skulls that the Claw stamped on, possibly with a bit of artificial blood thrown in? I'm sure the likes of Dan Crowley or Olivier Roumat would be happy to contribute their x-rays.

Like say the Croke Park museum it’s grand but boring enough most people just want to see the stadium parts

• Advertisement

I think any visitor to the city is a potential customer of this...regardless of their roots or club or sport they support....the same as any attraction in any city. I'm not an art fan, but I've gone to art museums all over the world.

I'd say a few jerseys on the wall is a very low estimation of what this will be tbh. I'd expect from what I'm hearing and the people involved, this is going to be quite high tech and interactive..

I've gone to loads of similar places in other cities, that are not something I would go to or have interest in normally. I'm sure everyone has,.

Good points. But that's even worse high-tech and interactive gets old very fast what was high-tech when they planned this may not be high-tech anymore. I think the jerseys on the wall would be a safer bet!

I'm going to put myself in an american tourists shoes for a sec.

1. I've never heard of rugby
    2. I've never heard of Limerick
    3. Lets go to Bunratty

I think museums have a much broader appeal than something a niche as this. I think its somebody's pet project is all and i fail to see how it will survive unless funded by said somebody start to finish.

And why not because you say so? I could understand if Limerick was "the home of rugby" but its not. I have Munster season tickets and you don't need to tell me about attendance i see all the empty seats except for Champions Cup and Leinster games regularly. And i also see the demographic going to these events and yes very very middle - upper class. Go to a Limerick Fc match see the difference first hand if you don't believe me.

Have you been to any local rugby games? Underage or junior? Where is your ST for in TP? I'm on the West Terrace and it most definitely not a middle to upper class crowd.
    I think its somebody's pet project is all and i fail to see how it will survive unless funded by said somebody start to finish.

JP isn't funding this. He's putting up €10 of the total €30m cost.

I honestly don't get the negativity towards someone (the only ones) putting private money into developing an empty city center site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Good points. But that's even worse high-tech and interactive gets old very fast what was high-tech when they planned this may not be high-tech anymore. I think the jerseys on the wall would be a safer bet!

I'm going to put myself in an american tourists shoes for a sec.

1. I've never heard of rugby
    2. I've never heard of Limerick
    3. Lets go to Bunratty

I think museums have a much broader appeal than something a niche as this. I think its somebody's pet project is all and i fail to see how it will survive unless funded by said somebody start to finish.

No offence, but I think you are just being negative.

None of us know what this will be like, and none of us know whether it will work or not. But I do believe, the people behind will have their homework done on the market available to them....but sure whatever you are having yourself!

Private investment that’s a fair point fair play
    Look it’s Jp involved he has huge influence inLimerick and gets his way always so this project will happen
    Just debating how it will perform

Private investment that’s a fair point fair play
    Look it’s Jp involved he has huge influence inLimerick and gets his way always so this project will happen
    Just debating how it will perform

It went to ABP and they approved it. I doubt JP has much influence there.

Nobody is saying it will be successful. In fact those of us 'defending' the project have all said that we don't know how it will turn out,

Have you been to any local rugby games? Underage or junior? Where is your ST for in TP? I'm on the West Terrace and it most definitely not a middle to upper class crowd.

JP isn't funding this. He's putting up €10 of the total €30m cost.

I honestly don't get the negativity towards someone (the only ones) putting private money into developing an empty city center site.

Yes, both. West stand. So thats where all the rif raf are down below me!!
    No offence, but I think you are just being negative.

None of us know what this will be like, and none of us know whether it will work or not. But I do believe, the people behind will have their homework done on the market available to them....but sure whatever you are having yourself!

Sorry if it sounds negative but i just fail to see how this will be a success. Sounds like a big trophy room for JP.

It went to ABP and they approved it. I doubt JP has much influence there.

Nobody is saying it will be successful. In fact those of us 'defending' the project have all said that we don't know how it will turn out,

Jp has huge influence I’d say

Jp has huge influence I’d say

Over An Bord Pleanala?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sorry if it sounds negative but i just fail to see how this will be a success. Sounds like a big trophy room for JP.

Stop trolling :rolleyes:

Over An Bord Pleanala?

In general in Limerick he got planning permission for a huge house,all the work in Adare and the big vip parties etc plus he’s a millionaire he has influence and the fact he’s investing in the city

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Stop trolling :rolleyes:

Trolling? i guess time will tell with this project.

In general in Limerick he got planning permission for a huge house,all the work in Adare and the big vip parties etc plus he’s a millionaire he has influence and the fact he’s investing in the city

He may have influence in the city, but what you're inferring is illegal influence on the planning process. This the project also got planning permission rubber stamped by a national body, which points to LCCC making the correct decision in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

What would have stopped him building/altering in either of those projects if you were in a position to do so?

Not illegal didn’t say that that means backhanders and criminal activity
    I mean he has influence cause he so rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not illegal didn’t say that that means backhanders and criminal activity
    I mean he has influence cause he so rich

I don't know what point you're trying to make, your post is all over the place, whether that's on purpose of not I really don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

People giving out about nothing in Limerick and empty units. A huge plan is put in place and will be followed through on and same people still give out. Typical of limerick/ireland really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

People giving out about nothing in Limerick and empty units. A huge plan is put in place and will be followed through on and same people still give out. Typical of limerick/ireland really.

What huge plan are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Anybody know what this huge plan for Limerick is, and where we can see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

zulutango wrote: »
    Anybody know what this huge plan for Limerick is, and where we can see it?

Maybe you have been sleeping I assume its the Opera Centre .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Sorry I was considering this rugby museum as a huge plan, they want to attract rugby fans from all over the world yet here we have people ****ting on it before it has even opened. Its pathetic.

Advertisement