Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick rugby experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

mart 23 wrote: »
    Maybe you have been sleeping I assume its the Opera Centre .

ok, I thought he/she was referring to an actual plan as opposed to a single project. Granted, the Opera proposal is very significant, but it doesn't constitute a plan for the city. One might argue that the Limerick 2030 plan is a plan for the city but it's a very basic one. There's the city development plan, which is quite underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

People giving out about nothing in Limerick and empty units. A huge plan is put in place and will be followed through on and same people still give out. Typical of limerick/ireland really.

No its people giving out about where the money is being spent i think you will find. Limerick needs alot of things of course and yes lots of things have been very good for the city, but "the rugby experience" cmon, if i want to experience the glory of rugby ill go to the actual Rugby hall of fame and museum in Rubgy. Why do we always try and latch on to things that are not ours. Looking at the bigger picture i think we are going through a bit of an identity crisis.

But hey if it goes ahead i really do hope it is successful and I for one will visit and bring the family. Just because i question its purpose does not mean i don't want it which is probably more typical of Limerick/Ireland really.

Sorry I was considering this rugby museum as a huge plan, they want to attract rugby fans from all over the world yet here we have people ****ting on it before it has even opened. Its pathetic.

ok, we're using different definitions of plan then. That's fair enough.

The rugby experience might indeed be great for Limerick. I'd have preferred to see it on a different site, although I think that centrality is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

bigpink wrote: »
    Don’t doubt one time rugby was huge in working class areas but deffo not now.Not too many locals from Weston playing with Young Munster nowadays

what absolute bollox ... come out to Coonagh next Sunday morning and see the profile of kids and families.

there from all corners of the city and county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stab*City wrote: »
    No its people giving out about where the money is being spent i think you will find. Limerick needs alot of things of course and yes lots of things have been very good for the city, but "the rugby experience" cmon, if i want to experience the glory of rugby ill go to the actual Rugby hall of fame and museum in Rubgy. Why do we always try and latch on to things that are not ours. Looking at the bigger picture i think we are going through a bit of an identity crisis.

But hey if it goes ahead i really do hope it is successful and I for one will visit and bring the family. Just because i question its purpose does not mean i don't want it which is probably more typical of Limerick/Ireland really.

Jesus you're so negative! Almost as bad as the people complaining about Starbucks taking over an empty unit. Opening a third outlet in the city is positive as they obviously see growth in the city.

Identity crisis? What are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

No its people giving out about where the money is being spent i think you will find.

Private money being spent on a private venture, if it was public money then I'd say you have a small point, but if private investors want to put their own money into this project then more power to them I say.

If it's a success, and I hope it is, then fantastic. If its a failure, then private individuals have lost their money. The city either stands to gain from a new attraction or return to the status quo, no public money will be lost, and what has for the last 20 years been an empty building will return to being an empty building.

I honestly don't understand the massive push back to this project from some people in this city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Where a private investor spends his money shouldn't matter to us, it's his money and instead of spending it abroad he is intending to spend it on Limerick. Hardly a bad thing?

Where a private investor spends his money shouldn't matter to us, it's his money and instead of spending it abroad he is intending to spend it on Limerick. Hardly a bad thing?

I'd disagree with you there, in principle. Obviously we don't allow people to just build whatever they like because they have the money to do so. There's lot of stakeholders to be consulted and it's why we have a planning process.

zulutango wrote: »
    I'd disagree with you there, in principle. Obviously we don't allow people to just build whatever they like because they have the money to do so. There's lot of stakeholders to be consulted and it's why we have a planning process.

Oh I know that but there is no consequences for the tax payer if this fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm delighted this is going through.... screw the negative begrudgers here...
    The first rugby museum was in New Zealand, the second in Twickenham. Limerick has long had an association with rugby, so why not think big, and have it here.
    Majority of visiting fans to Thomond (for a Pro12, Heineken cup game) will take the museum tour in.
    Every touring school side/club side in the west of Ireland, will take the museum tour.

The last couple of times I was home I took friends/family out to the Thomond Experience. There was a bus load from Wales one time and a bus load from Scotland another time, touring with their club/school. They loved it and spent a lot of money on merchandise also.

here is the link to the NZ rugby museum.
    http://rugbymuseum.co.nz/

Here is a link to the Twickenham rugby museum...
    http://www.worldrugbymuseum.com/

Remember, this museum is a rugby museum, not a Limerick/Munster rugby museum (although there will probably be a lot of Munster representation). There will be rugby from all walks of life represented.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Jesus you're so negative! Almost as bad as the people complaining about Starbucks taking over an empty unit. Opening a third outlet in the city is positive as they obviously see growth in the city.

Identity crisis? What are you talking about?

Well i guess time will tell if I'm being negative or realistic. Just don't see the point of it is all.
    source wrote: »
    Private money being spent on a private venture, if it was public money then I'd say you have a small point, but if private investors want to put their own money into this project then more power to them I say.

If it's a success, and I hope it is, then fantastic. If its a failure, then private individuals have lost their money. The city either stands to gain from a new attraction or return to the status quo, no public money will be lost, and what has for the last 20 years been an empty building will return to being an empty building.

I honestly don't understand the massive push back to this project from some people in this city.

So if i want to build a niteclub next to brown thomas or maybe "the strip club experience" down at the old dunnes, or the Amsterdam red light experience up in an unused house on catherine st its cool as long as its my own money?

Oh I know that but there is no consequences for the tax payer if this fails.

It wouldn't be great if we lost a few 200+ year old buildings and were left with a large empty monolith on the site.

Well i guess time will tell if I'm being negative or realistic. Just don't see the point of it is all.

So if i want to build a niteclub next to brown thomas or maybe "the strip club experience" down at the old dunnes, or the Amsterdam red light experience up in an unused house on catherine st its cool as long as its my own money?

If building something like that would bring in the inevitable footfall and money to the area that the rugby museum will then you wouldn't have many people complaining.

I know you're being disingenuous with your examples, so I'll simply say this: As long as its your own money and has been though, and approved by the relevant planning procedures and authorities, which is where the impact of any proposed project on its surrounds is reviewed, yes.

source wrote: »
    I know you're being disingenuous with your examples, so I'll simply say this: As long as its your own money and has been though, and approved by the relevant planning procedures and authorities, which is where the impact of any proposed project on its surrounds is reviewed, yes.

ya but just because you can build something does not mean you should. anyway lets hope its not a block of offices in 5 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ya but just because you can build something does not mean you should. anyway lets hope its not a block of offices in 5 years.

If it is then it's still better that the long term vacant building it is now.

Which is why planning exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yes i have heard of all the clubs actually, Rugby was invented in England, so yes it is an English sport. And the IRFU may be older than the GAA by a few years but the sports are centuries apart. And yes i do think this venture is very much dependant on the Munster supporter base. You think people will come to Limerick especially to see a few jerseys on the wall? I dont think youll get many FAI supporters travelling down from Dublin after the soccer.
    You are focusing on points that have no relevance on the viability of this venture and a museum for sport is far more than jerseys on a wall. Its not necessarily very dependant on the munster support base but as much school groups, visiting fans coming to Limerick for games as well as tourists in general
    And why not because you say so? I could understand if Limerick was "the home of rugby" but its not. I have Munster season tickets and you don't need to tell me about attendance i see all the empty seats except for Champions Cup and Leinster games regularly. And i also see the demographic going to these events and yes very very middle - upper class. Go to a Limerick Fc match see the difference first hand if you don't believe me.
    What relevance would Limerick being home of rugby or anything else have with the potential success of this venture?
    And i work these games in bar in ground if not attending with a ticket. Crowds are not very middle upper class.
    Good points. But that's even worse high-tech and interactive gets old very fast what was high-tech when they planned this may not be high-tech anymore. I think the jerseys on the wall would be a safer bet!

I'm going to put myself in an american tourists shoes for a sec.

1. I've never heard of rugby
    2. I've never heard of Limerick
    3. Lets go to Bunratty

I think museums have a much broader appeal than something a niche as this. I think its somebody's pet project is all and i fail to see how it will survive unless funded by said somebody start to finish.
    Many Americans and all other tourists will regularly go to museums etc even if not heard of material within it. Thats point of going to a museum.

If thats the case then why bother with museums at all if not ina home origins of the sport etc? This museum will have exhibitions looking at rugby in general/munster rugby. This isnt latching onto anything. Should any premier league football teams not have a museum in their stadiums because theyre not the home of the sport?
    Having a museum like this isnt any form of identity crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hope it does well, although if the plans are for it to be a venue that hopes to attract visitors to Limerick (rather than just being a place to visit for those that are already there), it will have to be pretty impressive, as rugby isn't all that popular in all that many countries.

You are focusing on points that have no relevance on the viability of this venture and a museum for sport is far more than jerseys on a wall. Its not necessarily very dependant on the munster support base but as much school groups, visiting fans coming to Limerick for games as well as tourists in general

What relevance would Limerick being home of rugby or anything else have with the potential success of this venture?

Let's call a spade a spade here, this is some rich guys trophy cabinet nothing more nothing less. Yes it will be a nice addition to the city and i hope it does well but its not something I would have expected here. I've already said i would visit myself so lets see how it goes I guess.
    And i work these games in bar in ground if not attending with a ticket. Crowds are not very middle upper class.

And I've had a season ticket for a long time, have been involved in supporters club events attend all the christmas parties and so on, I guess we will agree to disagree.
    Many Americans and all other tourists will regularly go to museums etc even if not heard of material within it. Thats point of going to a museum.

If that's the case then why bother with museums at all if not ina home origins of the sport etc? This museum will have exhibitions looking at rugby in general/munster rugby. This isn't latching onto anything. Should any premier league football teams not have a museum in their stadiums because theyre not the home of the sport?
    Having a museum like this isnt any form of identity crisis.

But England is the home of soccer as it was invented there so your prem league argument is a joke. I think museums are different to this anyway. Is this a museum or an experience? No i don't mean that by opening a rugby experience the city is going through an identity crisis I mean in general. Its was proven that we weren't the home of culture we sure ain't the home of rugby either wonder what's next.

• Advertisement

I agree with the TLS here, ther crowds are not very middle upper class, that is downright incorrect. I can assure you of that.

Let's call a spade a spade here, this is some rich guys trophy cabinet nothing more nothing less. Yes it will be a nice addition to the city and i hope it does well but its not something I would have expected here. I've already said i would visit myself so lets see how it goes I guess.
    Its far from a rich mans play thing. "nothing less" you know that how? So what if you didnt expect it. Rugby is very popular in Limerick. Its a sport for all people in Limerick and many people who do travel to Limerick are told about the sport in the city and history of it. This attraction can tie into that and draw from it
    And I've had a season ticket for a long time, have been involved in supporters club events attend all the christmas parties and so on, I guess we will agree to disagree.
    What based on your experiences makes you think the crowds are leaning towards middle/upper class people???
    But England is the home of soccer as it was invented there so your prem league argument is a joke. I think museums are different to this anyway. Is this a museum or an experience? No i don't mean that by opening a rugby experience the city is going through an identity crisis I mean in general. Its was proven that we weren't the home of culture we sure ain't the home of rugby either wonder what's next.
    A museum for a sport doesnt only have to be in the place that the sport originated from. And my premier league argument is far from a joke. If you want extend it to Barcelona, Real Madrid or anyone else. Those clubs museums/experiences.
    Are either of those clubs the home of soccer. No. But they have museums/experiences of their culture/history in place because of demand/interest.

I agree with the TLS here, ther crowds are not very middle upper class, that is downright incorrect. I can assure you of that.

I disagree with you both, but sher since you can assure me of it ill take your word for it.. :rolleyes:

Its far from a rich mans play thing. "nothing less" you know that how? So what if you didnt expect it. Rugby is very popular in Limerick. Its a sport for all people in Limerick and many people who do travel to Limerick are told about the sport in the city and history of it. This attraction can tie into that and draw from it

What based on your experiences makes you think the crowds are leaning towards middle/upper class people???

A museum for a sport doesnt only have to be in the place that the sport originated from. And my premier league argument is far from a joke. If you want extend it to Barcelona, Real Madrid or anyone else. Those clubs museums/experiences.
    Are either of those clubs the home of soccer. No. But they have museums/experiences of their culture/history in place because of demand/interest.

I guess i'll wait to see exactly what's in this experience when it opens. Lets hope it does draw the crowds.

Again your argument is a joke, The barca museum is based on the team from there, same with RM and anyone else's museum or experience and usually based in the grounds of the stadium. This is a RUGBY, in general, so I'm told experience in the middle of our main shopping street, not out in TP or Garryowen or another clubs grounds.

I guess i'll wait to see exactly what's in this experience when it opens. Lets hope it does draw the crowds.

Again your argument is a joke, The barca museum is based on the team from there, same with RM and anyone else's museum or experience and usually based in the grounds of the stadium. This is a RUGBY, in general, so I'm told experience in the middle of our main shopping street, not out in TP or Garryowen or another clubs grounds.
    Its on main street as footfall will be greater. And its separate entity to Munster Rugby/Thomond Park which has its own museum already and doesnt have space for this anyway.
    How is my argument a joke. We dont know the full make up of what will be in this venue anyway

Its on main street as footfall will be greater. And its separate entity to Munster Rugby/Thomond Park which has its own museum already and doesnt have space for this anyway.
    How is my argument a joke. We dont know the full make up of what will be in this venue anyway

Your comparing a venture that has "nothing" to do with a certain club to ventures that are based in the grounds of clubs and have material all relating to the clubs where they are based. Shall i go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

You must have fierce fancy tickets for Thomond Park if all you see is upper middle class people

I disagree with you both, but sher since you can assure me of it ill take your word for it.. :rolleyes:

I can tell you I know people from the island that regularly go to matches, as well as other non - upper middle class area's of Limerick, but believe what you want to believe.

mitresize5 wrote: »
    You must have fierce fancy tickets for Thomond Park if all you see is upper middle class people

That's not what i said. I said middle to upper class. East terrace for years and now in the stand.

• Advertisement

I can tell you I know people from the island that regularly go to matches, as well as other non - upper middle class area's of Limerick, but believe what you want to believe.

Well good for you, I grew up in a similar location to St Mary's Park. And again i didn't say upper middle class, I said middle to upper class. And yes of course your one friend down da island and lots of others will attend matches, do you go to matches yourself?

Advertisement