Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick rugby experience

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Let's say it doesn't draw the crowds and doesn't make enough money to stay open. What happens then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can you explain your meaning of middle class? I just want to know, because most of the people I know that go to or partake in rugby are of a working class background.

Yes I'm a ST holder, and I also attend AIL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Mc Love wrote: »
    Can you explain your meaning of middle class? I just want to know, because most of the people I know that go to or partake in rugby are of a working class background.

Yes I'm a ST holder, and I also attend AIL games.

Lower - Middle - Upper, its actually quiet simple. You stand or terrace?

Stab*City wrote: »

Working class - Middle - Upper, care to understand how you determine how someone belongs to each class or how you know there are middle to upper class at the games?

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I'm a little uneasy with all this horse **** of lower, middle and upper class.

this is Limerick City for gods sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This class thing is ironically quite British, we don’t really have upper class here at all. The perceived difference between working class and middle class is how much you earn. It’s in people’s minds and generally the people worry about it are people with their own issues.

The rugby experience is probably not something that will draw people to Limerick but could certainly do well and give people visiting an extra option during a visit. I doubt too many tourists go to cities for just one thing but the more there is to do the better people’s experience is of the place. I went to the ice hockey hall of fame in Toronto without knowing anything about hockey and enjoyed it. I’ve been to museums all over the world often without having a particular interest in the subject and have enjoyed them.

Working class - Middle - Upper, care to understand how you determine how someone belongs to each class or how you know there are middle to upper class at the games?

Both.

Oh jesus. :rolleyes::confused:

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I'm a little uneasy with all this horse **** of lower, middle and upper class.

this is Limerick City for gods sake.

And your point?

salmocab wrote: »
    This class thing is ironically quite British, we don’t really have upper class here at all. The perceived difference between working class and middle class is how much you earn. It’s in people’s minds and generally the people worry about it are people with their own issues.

The rugby experience is probably not something that will draw people to Limerick but could certainly do well and give people visiting an extra option during a visit. I doubt too many tourists go to cities for just one thing but the more there is to do the better people’s experience is of the place. I went to the ice hockey hall of fame in Toronto without knowing anything about hockey and enjoyed it. I’ve been to museums all over the world often without having a particular interest in the subject and have enjoyed them.

Look its quite simple guys, the crowd including all the housewives and girlfriends who go to the Munster matches are considerably different to the lets say another sport like the soccer crowd. If you cant see that then you are blind.. Im not trying to pigeon hole muster fans its a broad observation.

Yes i can see this being a big hit with Munster fans and general rugby fans visiting the city on match days but the wider public no. Ya of course everyone will visit and check it out at least the once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Your comparing a venture that has "nothing" to do with a certain club to ventures that are based in the grounds of clubs and have material all relating to the clubs where they are based. Shall i go on?
    The venture not associated directly with any club/team doesnt mean that there wont be interest. The general nature means it will still attract significant interest especially because it doesnt just focus on a certain area/team in the sport
    I can tell you I know people from the island that regularly go to matches, as well as other non - upper middle class area's of Limerick, but believe what you want to believe.
    Exactly.
    care to expand a bit more on that as its far from that simple and there isnt really upper class here especially compared to what would be considered upper class in Britain anyway.
    Look its quite simple guys, the crowd including all the housewives and girlfriends who go to the Munster matches are considerably different to the lets say another sport like the soccer crowd. If you cant see that then you are blind.. Im not trying to pigeon hole muster fans its a broad observation.

Yes i can see this being a big hit with Munster fans and general rugby fans visiting the city on match days but the wider public no. Ya of course everyone will visit and check it out at least the once.
    It isnt that simple actually as pointed out by many people here
    The crowds going to munster games are not considerably different to those going to GAA games etc
    You are pigeon holeing fans though
    This will be of considerable interest to people beyond general rugby fans on match days. Plenty tourists come to city and general area for holidays and this will be right up there alley...

• Advertisement

Oh jesus. :rolleyes::confused:

Maybe Jesus will guide you to answer my question. Wives and Girlfriends? Can you elaborate anymore on that? Are you suggesting that the crowd is made up of mostly wives and girlfriends? Do you know if the husbands and boyfriends are there too? Did they bring the kids along as well?

The venture not associated directly with any club/team doesnt mean that there wont be interest. The general nature means it will still attract significant interest especially because it doesnt just focus on a certain area/team in the sport

Exactly.

care to expand a bit more on that as its far from that simple and there isnt really upper class here especially compared to what would be considered upper class in Britain anyway.

It isnt that simple actually as pointed out by many people here
    The crowds going to munster games are not considerably different to those going to GAA games etc
    You are pigeon holeing fans though
    This will be of considerable interest to people beyond general rugby fans on match days. Plenty tourists come to city and general area for holidays and this will be right up there alley...

Glad someone around here can see into the future. Look like i said ill wait and see how it goes. You compared a generic rugby experience to the likes of Prem league, Barca and RM onsite stadium museums, big difference. If a barca museum opened up in the middle of Las Ramblas tomorrow it would have a direct connection to a local market. As you said this is not munster connected and i just don't see the point other than if JP said he wanted to drop a dump on the middle of o'connell street 99% of the town would agree and be afraid to open their mouths for fear of what we would lose out on next.

I can name 10 people off the top of my head in my own family who would have zero interest in a rugby experience no matter where it is... Its hard enough to get people to come to Limerick not to mind visit something as niche as this.
    Maybe Jesus will guide you to answer my question. Wives and Girlfriends? Can you elaborate anymore on that? Are you suggesting that the crowd is made up of mostly wives and girlfriends? Do you know if the husbands and boyfriends are there too? Did they bring the kids along as well?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Have to say, reading through impassioned arguments about the class breakdown of local rugby support is about as rewarding as being kicked in the balls.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Have to say, reading through impassioned arguments about the class breakdown of local rugby support is about as rewarding as being kicked in the balls.

I wasn't trying to break down any classes in Munster rugby supporters, all I was trying to say was that I thought in my opinion that the supporters were a little different to other sports supporters. Many people will say the same just not the rugby people obviously. And you know what nobody is forcing you to read this either. :D

I wasn't trying to break down any classes in Munster rugby supporters, all I was trying to say was that I thought in my opinion that the supporters were a little different to other sports supporters. Many people will say the same just not the rugby people obviously. And you know what nobody is forcing you to read this either. :D

I'm subscribed to the thread in the hopes of reading about the Limerick Rugby Experience project.

Unfortunately I can't tell that a post is going to be garbage before I read it.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm subscribed to the thread in the hopes of reading about the Limerick Rugby Experience project.

Unfortunately I can't tell that a post is going to be garbage before I read it.

Sure you can just like i saw you removed my name from your original post.

Sure you can just like i saw you removed my name from your original post.

You have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Both.

Yeah I'd like this expanded on more. Is somebody taken surveys at the game to see how much money you earn, getting you to read some Q cards to study how posh your accent is, whether you shop at Penny's or Brown Thomas, eat at Chicken Hut or Marco Polo, or is anybody that doesn't have their pants tucked into their socks and says "story cuz" automatically classed as middle class.

Yeah I'd like this expanded on more. Is somebody taken surveys at the game to see how much money you earn, getting you to read some Q cards to study how posh your accent is, whether you shop at Penny's or Brown Thomas, eat at Chicken Hut or Marco Polo, or is anybody that doesn't have their pants tucked into their socks and says "story cuz" automatically classed as middle class.

You pretty much answered your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Glad someone around here can see into the future. Look like i said ill wait and see how it goes. You compared a generic rugby experience to the likes of Prem league, Barca and RM onsite stadium museums, big difference. If a barca museum opened up in the middle of Las Ramblas tomorrow it would have a direct connection to a local market. As you said this is not munster connected and i just don't see the point other than if JP said he wanted to drop a dump on the middle of o'connell street 99% of the town would agree and be afraid to open their mouths for fear of what we would lose out on next.
    You dont grasp irony if you're going on about people and seeing into the future.
    Barcelona wouldnt be opening a museum on ramblas as they have their own in their stadium. If a museum opened on las ramblas then it would have a connection to local market as well as would have great footfall for potential visitors.
    You are though by saying rugby supporters are different. How exactly are they different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Hopefully the Rugby Experience does well because Limerick badly needs more major tourist attractions. However I don't think the museum itself will act as a standalone draw for tourists, more as an add-on for something to do while in the area.

People don't like to hear it but rugby is a minority sport in the global context, outside of the UK we don't get many visitors from the few countries where rugby is popular.

At least with the backing of JP it shouldn't be under too much financial pressure from the start and will hopefully be given time to find its feet.

Treepole wrote: »
    Hopefully the Rugby Experience does well because Limerick badly needs more major tourist attractions. However I don't think the museum itself will act as a standalone draw for tourists, more as an add-on for something to do while in the area.

People don't like to hear it but rugby is a minority sport in the global context, outside of the UK we don't get many visitors from the few countries where rugby is popular.

At least with the backing of JP it shouldn't be under too much financial pressure from the start and will hopefully be given time to find its feet.

I doubt anyone thinks people will be going to Limerick to see the rugby experience but yes it’s an extra thing to do like most tourist things on the world. Very few things on their own get people to go somewhere, cliffs of moher and titanic are two in Ireland that possibly have people say let’s go there and see that most things work the other way round.
    Rugby supporters are very well aware of the reach of rugby nobody doesn’t like to hear it, that’s just something people say when they want to rag on the game.
    I’d say a fair few people from overseas go to Croke Park and GAA has an almost non existent life off this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

salmocab wrote: »
    I doubt anyone thinks people will be going to Limerick to see the rugby experience but yes it’s an extra thing to do like most tourist things on the world. Very few things on their own get people to go somewhere, cliffs of moher and titanic are two in Ireland that possibly have people say let’s go there and see that most things work the other way round.
    Rugby supporters are very well aware of the reach of rugby nobody doesn’t like to hear it, that’s just something people say when they want to rag on the game.
    I’d say a fair few people from overseas go to Croke Park and GAA has an almost non existent life off this island.

So you agree with everything I said?

Treepole wrote: »
    So you agree with everything I said?

Yeah apart from the bit about rugby’s popularity, don’t think I suggested I wasn’t agreeing with you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Looks like work is about to kick off on this in the next few weeks. The council just posted about temporary traffic arrangements coming into effect next Friday 12th April lasting for 2 -4 months. I assume its just for the demolition of the current buildings as it will never be built that fast.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/road-notices/new-traffic-system-oconnell-street-cecil-street-limerick
    From 10am Friday 12th April 2019 a no left turn prohibition will be introduced to prohibit traffic turning from O’Connell Street to Cecil Street.

In addition traffic on Lower Cecil Street will be prohibited from entering Cecil Street.

Existing night time taxi ranks on the South side of O’Connell Street will be relocated to the North side and on to Cecil Street.

This temporary traffic management system is being introduced to enable construction of the International Rugby Experience Project and will operate for 2-4 months.

Advertisement