Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees shedding leaves....like Autumn.

Options
  • 29-06-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed trees shedding leaves in last few weeks?...Was very windy here last night and lots of leaves from different native trees down this morning,all healthy green leaves from healthy trees!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I have had that - particularly from a holly tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Was thinking same myself. Have so many swept up over last few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most leaves in our garden have been coming from the eucalyptus; started before the weather took a nosedive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I should add that the holly leaves are old looking, there were some fresh leaves from various trees torn off in a high wind a while ago, but the leaves that are falling at the moment are yellowed. I assumed it was something to do with the dry weather. There is a very good crop of berries forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It could also be salt carried on the heavy winds inland from the sea if there is damage showing in the fallen leaves. We don't appear to be having this problem this year but had it a few years back in the apple trees especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Holly trees shed leaves continually all year long, being evergreen. (You'll always see a thick, prickly carpet of dead leaves underneath)
    We only notice it when a lot fall at the same time.

I think this leaf fall may be due to cold windy weather coming after a dry spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All trees lose leaves due to dry weather in order to reduce evaporation. The windy spell just shifted those that had been shut down.

Advertisement