Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a classic car from UK

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

PauloMN wrote: »
    Well I made it to Dublin port. Eventful day, awful weather and traffic but the main thing is the car was great and am just arriving on the ferry into Dublin. Can relax a bit more now. Less than an hour home and no deadlines to meet. Made ferry check-in by 5 mins in Holyhead! Didn't even get chance to take pics, Will do so tomorrow. Knackered now, was up at 4am and a lot of driving. Great to have her home though, my first classic!

Like I said, brilliant adventure! So when are you doing it again ??

I've done four European runs and seven UK runs and I never tire of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Looks tidy! Have you had the Reg valued in the UK at all? May be worth a weeks process to sell it on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Look fantastic. Love the colour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Looks class Paulo ! Told you it would be a fun trip

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks all. Am delighted with it, it's not perfect but it's a very good, genuine example and with a little time and effort could be great. Will probably have it at the Trim show on Sunday so if anyone is there pop over and say hi. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭clonagam

I have a new unused middle silencer box that I believe fits your car. Any interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Couple of photos from last night:

20170711_234750.jpg

20170712_005440.jpg

Looks class Paulo you lucky man, I'm in 2mind's about trim I miss just stay home and watch the Dublin.kildare final instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I might make it to Trim, unsure just yet. If i do ill bring my E28 and ill keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Thanks for letting me sit in your lovely car today PauloMN .. All the best with it ..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

noelf wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me sit in your lovely car today PauloMN .. All the best with it ..

Nice to chat to you Noel! Good day for it, had a wander about after chatting to you and saw some beautiful cars. Never get bored looking at old cars!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 kcopsspock

Silvera wrote: »
    I brought in a classic from the UK last year. Myself and a mate took an early flight over picked up the car and headed off on a road trip - we visited Haynes Motor Museum near Yeovil - before catching the ferry home the next day.

As regards the road tax, I had similar concerns. The seller stated that the car was taxed and by the time the change of ownership was received by the DVLA I would be long home. My classic was MoT'd so that wasnt a concern in my case.

Incidentially I wouldnt advise anybody to drive on UK roads without having a current MoT in place - the UK police take a dim view of this. For example, technically, a car (without an MoT) in the UK cannot even be transported on public roads by lifting the front wheels with a tow truck as the rear wheels are still in contact with the road. So driving without an MoT is a big no no.

I would also highlight the importance of typing up a detailed receipt (two copies actually - one for you and one for the seller). I did so on an A4 page and had my mate witness our signatures. This receiept is needed when VRT'ing the car - and will also be part of the cars history going forward. In my case, I was stopped by a UK Border Force officer at the ferry port and they asked to see proof of ownership - so the reciept came in very handy! :)

This pre-printed Cartell receipt is ideal if you dont want to type up one of your own -

They also have good general car-buying advise on this page -

Also be careful that the car is up to driving safely on the road - especially the hours and hours which can be spent on UK motorways.

I presume that you realise that the seller must be a motor trader if he is current driving it on trade plates? Nothing wrong with that once he wasnt pretending to be a 'private' seller for one reason or another. The normal advise about meeting the seller at his home or business address applies...plus seeing proof of his id if possible. There are lots of stolen classics in the UK - a recent copy of Classic Car Weekly paper had a feature on this topic. Buyer beware always applies.

Having said all that I hope the car works out well for you and you enjoy the road trip / experience! :)

The cartel invoice above is a great find for me, over the years i couldn't count all the paper/pen ones i've done, all private sales but its something i like to do, one for seller, one for buyer, i even state the time of day, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great to have her home though, my first classic!

Looks fantastic, love the colour and the wheels! The 525e had some sort of overdrive in the autobox didn't it, for fuel economy? I knew all the details at the time from reading car mags, but I've long since forgotten :D

I thought you had a W123 at some stage, or am I mixing you up with someone else from the motornet days?

Advertisement