Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Storage Location

Options
  • 30-06-2017 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi folks,

So I've been informed by my local FO that my gunsafe must be located in my attic due to the build/layout of my house. This will obviously increase the cost of things as I will have to lay a floor in the attic (which was planned for next year anyway, just don't have the money for that right now).

So get around this my father-in-law has offered to allow me to store my rifle once purchased, in his safe. He is in Dublin and I am in Meath. How does this affect the License Form? Do I just provide his address as the location? Or is this a question for my local FO? Courtlough charge €100 a year rental on safes.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Can you attach it to chimney brest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

As suggested Chimney breast or gable wall and then a couple of sheets of ply to see you through till you lay floor properly...I put my dad's in his attic for him and that's all he has..some form of lighting as well..
    The rental option is a bit of a pain to be honest you would only access to your gun when they are open if attic isn't an option then I would ask your local FO if it's ok to store it at your father in laws house, again a bit of a pain have to travel that distance to your gun..
    If it was me I definitely would be trying to sort the attic out even temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Hack12 wrote: »
    Can you attach it to chimney brest?
    harr wrote: »
    As suggested Chimney breast or gable wall and then a couple of sheets of ply to see you through till you lay floor...
    If it was me I definitely would be trying to sort the attic out even temporarily.

The house is timber frame and we have no chimney which is why I was told gable end in the attic. I'll check out some builders providers this weekend I guess a temp ply floor would be best option!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

alan0387 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

So I've been informed by my local FO that my gunsafe must be located in my attic due to the build/layout of my house.
    First off your FO is the firearms officer (a made up title as no such post exists, but it is what it is) is not the CPO. That is the Crime Prevention Officer. That is the person that will dictate whether your security is sufficient or not and s/he will tell you what you need and where it goes.

The SI on secure accommodation lays out the minimum standards so once you've fulfilled this standard you can request a visit from the CPO. Most people just get a visit, but you can request one to discuss the safe location with the CPO. Might be better able to help you out and his/her decision goes straight to the Super.

So that is option one.
    How does this affect the License Form? Do I just provide his address as the location? Or is this a question for my local FO?
    I don't want to be disrespectful to the FOs of the country but in the end they process the paperwork. Yes they have influence and shouldn't be treated ignorantly, but they don't make the important calls. The CPO and Super do.

That being said you can tick the box on section 3.5 of the FCA1 where it says "If the firearm will be stored at a location OTHER THAN the address on the application tick this box". Tick this box and on a separate piece of paper explain your situation, the recommendation of the FO and provide your Father in Law's address, name, detail , already a firearm owner, etc. This will more than likely cause a visit from the CPO, but perhaps not. The FO may take it as good enough.

So with his address and your address on the FCA1 you can now store the gun at either address.
    Courtlough charge €100 a year rental on safes.
    It's an option, but i'd prefer to have my firearm under my control.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Be careful with guns in the attic it has a tendency to make them rust like ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Not sure if your father in law has guns or not but suspect he does. Depending on the amount of guns in the house it may increase the security requirement needed in the house. Monitored alarm etc. There is nothing that states it must be attached to a brick wall even though it is best practice. General rule of thumb is once tools are needed you are ok. I have seen this before in timber frame houses where the CPO was ok with the safe mounted in/on a built in wardrobe as the back wall of wardrobe made the safe secure (using high standard clamps into the wall).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I think your 'over thinking' the attic thing too much. For years my father stored his guns and plenty of other items ( Christmas decorations, household items etc) in the attic with no flooring.
    A couple of lengths of boarding will make a simple 'gang way' and a wide piece to support the safe and act as a kneeling / standing spot while fiddling about . The anchor points in the back of the safe will take the majority of the weight and besides that with some of the amount of rubbish I've seen stored in attics I'd have no worries over structural support (if that's a concern).

The atmosphere in attics can be cruel but a simple solution is to use a gun sock or some such material. This will cut down condensation.

If you or anyone else here may be storing their firearms for a period of time when not in use (my o/u and .22 only come out for a short period of the year) I would suggest using Renaissance Wax (used to preserve museum pieces). Dries to a non tacky coat that can be buffed to a polished finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Don't forget that unless your father in law has his own licence for your rifle, he'd be in unlawful possession of a firearm.
    At the very least, he'd need to run this proposed scenario by his own Garda Superintendent. They might be willing to give some sort of written 'permission' for this, or they may insist on him licencing the rifle himself.
    This may also have knock on consequences for his security requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Why can't you lay the safe on the floor and bolt it to the concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Be careful drilling into a chimney that you don't go straight through the flue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Apologies for the late reply, I greatly appreciate all contributions here! :cool:
    I was shown a great idea by the American company Tactical Walls. However they do not conform to our regs :( check em out, they are awesome though!
    Cass wrote: »
    Tick this box and on a separate piece of paper explain your situation, the recommendation of the FO and provide your Father in Law's address, name, detail , already a firearm owner, etc. This will more than likely cause a visit from the CPO, but perhaps not. The FO may take it as good enough.

So with his address and your address on the FCA1 you can now store the gun at either address.

It's an option, but i'd prefer to have my firearm under my control.
    This was what my father in law suggested. Saves me money on a safe initially too.
    Be careful with guns in the attic it has a tendency to make them rust like ****
    I would be using some form of passive air dehumidification, like the drier insert from a car a/c rad. I have one that I keep with my cordless drills and batteries in a toolbox in the shed :D
    Hack12 wrote: »
    Not sure if your father in law has guns or not but suspect he does. Depending on the amount of guns in the house it may increase the security requirement needed in the house. Monitored alarm etc. There is nothing that states it must be attached to a brick wall even though it is best practice. General rule of thumb is once tools are needed you are ok. I have seen this before in timber frame houses where the CPO was ok with the safe mounted in/on a built in wardrobe as the back wall of wardrobe made the safe secure (using high standard clamps into the wall).
    Yes he owns a rifle and shotgun. He has a restricted license and the adequate security measures required already. Unfortunately I have no fitted wardrobe in the house, all freestanding, plus my wife is not a fan of guns so she would want it well out of reach of the kids :(
    I think your 'over thinking' the attic thing too much. For years my father stored his guns and plenty of other items ( Christmas decorations, household items etc) in the attic with no flooring.
    A couple of lengths of boarding will make a simple 'gang way' and a wide piece to support the safe and act as a kneeling / standing spot while fiddling about . The anchor points in the back of the safe will take the majority of the weight and besides that with some of the amount of rubbish I've seen stored in attics I'd have no worries over structural support (if that's a concern).

The atmosphere in attics can be cruel but a simple solution is to use a gun sock or some such material. This will cut down condensation.

If you or anyone else here may be storing their firearms for a period of time when not in use (my o/u and .22 only come out for a short period of the year) I would suggest using Renaissance Wax (used to preserve museum pieces). Dries to a non tacky coat that can be buffed to a polished finish.
    Well it would be a rough temp job right now anyway at this stage just enough to satisfy the law until a more permenant solution was sorted.
    I've never heard of that wax so will look it up. Thanks! :)
    Melodeon wrote: »
    Don't forget that unless your father in law has his own licence for your rifle, he'd be in unlawful possession of a firearm.

They might be willing to give some sort of written 'permission' for this, or they may insist on him licencing the rifle himself.
    This may also have knock on consequences for his security requirements.
    He has all the required security for his license so would just be if both Garda stations were happy with this arrangement. I highly doubt they would take into consideration this would only be a temporary measure.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Why can't you lay the safe on the floor and bolt it to the concrete?
    Only concrete is the foundation and subfloor downstairs. Completely timber and plasterboard everywhere else.
    Be careful drilling into a chimney that you don't go straight through the flue
    No chimney so worries there!

Advertisement