Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs forum

Options
  • 30-06-2017 6:34am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057757609

Can this decision be discussed in the open discussion section (which I see is empty).

As can be seen from the thread on the spurs section this decision has not gone down well and long established members are planning to move on.

Moderator has acknowledged that the thread was very very low maintenance.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I appreciate you are asking for a discussion on the closure, but could you be more precise over exactly what you wish to discuss. I provided a little background to the closure of the Spurs and Chelsea forums in the stickied posts I made in each forum. I have had a quick look and cannot find any posts by yourself in that forum.

The main soccer forum is open to discuss Spurs along with other football topics

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

As I see it it was a very well behaved sub forum with reasonable traffic. Members invested time to build a community / friendship over 10+ years and this facility has been removed from them with no consultation / open discussion. Local mods also seem to be disappointed with the decision (a real kick in the teeth to the time and effort that they put into this site at no cost).

Boards feedback post the announcement has been a failure, the feedback from the users of the sub forum that they are going to leave the site seems to not matter to them, no communication post their announcement.

Applying the logic behind the decision will the motoring sub forums be consolidated into the main motors forum? Will Galway city and county be consolidated...

I think it's only fair that boards are transparent in their real motives / objectives and the potential impact on other areas of the site. Should users bother to continue posting to sub forums if they have no future.

This decision and the implementation process is a continuation of the recent contempt that boards are showing to their user base, they really don't care.

Is that it so? End of discussion. Maybe my posts aren't being published again.

No further information on future clean ups. Unofficial discussion (because official feedback/discussion is banned) seems to be that these sub forums were targeted while plenty of ghost sub forums have escaped and mods weren't really consulted? Is it sub forums which have a community feel and need little / no modding that ye are targeting?

So for example it could be a case that we see an announcement in the motors detailing sub forum some morning that admins have decided to close (against mod wishes and common sense), and users have a week to say goodbye and they won't be commenting further?

Then the following week the roads sub forum is closed. Maybe you could merge music into motors because they both start with the letter M . And on and on

Just an FYI to fellow boards members.

As you can only see my posts on this thread it may look like I'm a lone "whinger" (as admins call users who try use the feedback mechanism) please note that other posters have tried replying to this thread but their posts are not being published.

I wonder if the admins motives here are to make it look like my feedback is isolated and everything is fine and dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

despite accusations there is no admin conspiracy at play here.

There have been threads opened by 3 other Spurs forum users. Yours was selected by an admin to be the one he would respond to.

However, in light of the posts in the Spurs Hosted forum and the concerns raised by other Hosted forum users we have decided to hold an open discussion on the plan for Hosted forums. (I'm not arranging this so I don't have a go-live date for you).

(also, its not that replies to this thread are not being published, replies are not possible to this thread except from the OP or an admin, we don't get to see the reply *to this thread* and make a decision not to allow it). We do see new threads and we assess those on the post itself and the current discussion in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no conspiracy, but rather the rules of the forum are being applied. In the interests of clarity, only the OP can reply to a thread in this current version of Feedback. This is outlined in Niamh's sticky at the top of the forum.

If others want to add Feedback, they can submit a new thread of their own, and I can confirm that others have indeed done so. We have received their Feedback, even if has not been published.

LoLth wrote: »
    despite accusations there is no admin conspiracy at play here.

There have been threads opened by 3 other Spurs forum users. Yours was selected by an admin to be the one he would respond to

You state my thread was "chosen", seriously what did beastly add in his reply below, it's like a politicians reply, answers zero of my questions. The only reason my reply was "chosen" is because they wanted to take a pot shot at my posting history and to take the easy road versus the other posters who tried to start a discussion.
    Beasty wrote: »
    I appreciate you are asking for a discussion on the closure, but could you be more precise over exactly what you wish to discuss. I provided a little background to the closure of the Spurs and Chelsea forums in the stickied posts I made in each forum. I have had a quick look and cannot find any posts by yourself in that forum.

The main soccer forum is open to discuss Spurs along with other football topics

Do you not see how this looks? A decision is forced with no discussion with those impacted, my thread out of pure luck gets published (I'd say with plenty of regrets though), then completely ignored. After my post today 2 admins are in like a lightening bolt on the defensive.
    LoLth wrote: »
    However, in light of the posts in the Spurs Hosted forum and the concerns raised by other Hosted forum users we have decided to hold an open discussion on the plan for Hosted forums.

Why not just openly disclose this rather than all the secrecy?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You state my thread was "chosen", seriously what did beastly add in his reply below, it's like a politicians reply, answers zero of my questions. The only reason my reply was "chosen" is because they wanted to take a pot shot at my posting history and to take the easy road versus the other posters who tried to start a discussion.

I responded to you as you were the first poster to raise the subject. It quickly became clear that you really have little interest in the forum itself and I discussed with the other Admins the option of opening up a thread started by a regular in the forum

However as stated above we are proposing an Open Feedback thread on our plans for the Hosted Forums, and there is little point in running 2 threads covering off similar issues

Advertisement