Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 month old sleep

Options
  • 30-06-2017 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone
    We have an 18 month old boy and life is great :-)
    We have one small issue that i would like to get opinions on. 
    He sleeps great in his cot at home, we put him in at 8pm and he is happy there on his own and goes off to sleep and all is well.
    The issue is when we take him to a hotel , or to his grandparents house. He might sleep ok in a travel cot or in the bed with one of us but once we return home and put him back into his cot then he roars crying and we have to let him cry it out again for an hour before life is back to normal the following night.This happens even if we are just away for one night
    So at the moment we just dont stay away with him as we dont want to voluntarily put him through the cry it out .
    Is there anything we can do here or do we just have to wait it out ? Does anyone know how long it will take to grow out of this. We were hoping to go on holidays next summer when he would be 2yrs 8 months old but i dont want to go if there will be bad nights when we return. It wouldnt be fair on him

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does he have a teddy or a blanket or a comforter that he could bring with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

yeah he has a teddy, but its not the night away thats the problem
    its the night after he returns home

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

He will be a different child by next summer, so I really wouldn't worry too much.The language inprovement and developmental jump from 18 mths to 2yrs and 8 months is huge.( my LO just turned three, so I've seen it this year!)

Start talking to him about.Tell him what's going on 'we're going to a hotel, and you will have a cot there.When we go home you'll be back in your own nice bed in your own room'.Bring teddies or blankets.I just found constantly telling them about what was going to happen was a huge help.Especially as they head for two years old.It gives them language and prepares them for the change.Preparation and early warnings of a new thing or a change are key for toddlers.

Thanks
    Its great at the moment except for this issue. Last xmas we couldnt spend any time at our in laws due to this

we cant have everything i suppose :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you read to him and bedtime?

• Advertisement

no, he goes into cot and goes off to sleep himself no problem

Advertisement