Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad mini 2 bricked by repair shop.

Options
  • 30-06-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all

Hi all I got junior a Ipad mini 2. Anyway he dropped it and cracked the screen. So I dropped it in to the local repair shop for a new screen. Ipad is repaired and collected charge is 80 euro fair enough.

So within a few days Siri starting up randomly the screen works loose then goes blank. The Ipad will still work just no display.

So back to the shop to the shop it went. Now I get a call saying them can't fix it and have tried 2 different LCD's. I'm guessing they have bricked the mainboard.

I am well miffed being down 300 on the Ipad and 80 on the original repair
    just looking for advise on a path forward. Not wanting to name and shame just yet. But I am considering the ombudsman office.

Thanks John

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Which Ombudsman?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

I'm thinking here?

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers

Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You could make a small claims application, but you would have to show that the repair shop caused the problem given that the iPad was working fine for the first few days. If as you say the screen came loose (suggesting it wasn't put back in properly) and there's no sign of other damage (i.e. you didn't let it fall, drop it water, etc), then you might have a case. If you want to go down this route your best bet would probably to bring it to another repair shop and find out exactly what's wrong with it and how much it will cost to repair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JB123 wrote: »
    I'm thinking here?

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I was wondering. They aren't an ombudsman, they can really only give advice. Sad professor's way is the only way really open to you, but the small claims court will cost you €25 which you don't get back. It would seem to be throwing good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Ok thanks for the reply's.

So basically you have to suck it up. You would think you would at least get the 80 euro for the repair back.
    It's not worth it with having to go and pay to have it checked again.Then deal with the small claims system.
    It seems a secondhand Ipad might be the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JB123 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the reply's.

So basically you have to suck it up. You would think you would at least get the 80 euro for the repair back.
    It's not worth it with having to go and pay to have it checked again.Then deal with the small claims system.
    It seems a secondhand Ipad might be the way forward.

I wouldn't say you have to suck it up. As part of the claim you would include the cost to repair/replace the iPad. Getting another shop to assess the damage wouldn't cost that much. It mightn't even be necessary as they are unlikely to dispute the claim, but it would be helpful to know exactly what's wrong with the iPad and what they damaged.

Threatening them with the small claims court might be enough assuming you've exhausted all other avenues with them. Did you tell them the screen fell out? What did they say?

Advertisement