Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

14 team Pro 12 from 2017/2018??

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

On then TV deal, BT sponsorship of the wlesh and scottish teams seems to have ended

Edit - they still sponsor Edinburgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The global season restructuring that was announced is only for international rugby. The leagues haven't announced anything.

Leagues have to follow suit. Players can't take their half summer holidays before the summer internationals and half after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leagues have to follow suit. Players can't take their half summer holidays before the summer internationals and half after.

Well they don't have to do anything. I would think its likely they will follow suit but I don't think anyone should be assuming that the leagues will do anything just because the Unions have decided they should.

Although its promising that the leagues were present for some of the discussions, so I'd hope that they were part of the agreement rather than there being problems remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

icdg wrote: »
    Outside of France they haven't really shown interest in rugby. Yet.

Elsewhere, Irish Times reporting today that touring parties to SA won't be allowed add new players to teams between the two matches, which is seemingly impacting the plans as to how Ireland players will be introduced into the Leinster squad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/leinster-shorn-of-their-top-talent-for-trip-to-south-africa-1.3196139?mode=amp

It's only the Lions players they're talking about there. We'll still have the likes of Toner, Jordi, Rhys, Leavy, Conan, Carbery and both Kearneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's only the Lions players they're talking about there. We'll still have the likes of Toner, Jordi, Rhys, Leavy, Conan, Carbery and both Kearneys.

Van Der Flier or is he out for some reason?

South Africa v Australia will be in the Free State Stadium on the 30th of September. Cheetahs v Ospreys is being lined up as a double header as it is being played on the same day. That's a real treat for any Ospreys fans making the trip. 3 games in 10 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

errlloyd wrote: »
    That's a real treat for any Ospreys fans making the trip. 3 games in 10 days!

That'll be one man happy anyway!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Outside of France they haven't really shown interest in rugby. Yet.

Elsewhere, Irish Times reporting today that touring parties to SA won't be allowed add new players to teams between the two matches, which is seemingly impacting the plans as to how Ireland players will be introduced into the Leinster squad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/leinster-shorn-of-their-top-talent-for-trip-to-south-africa-1.3196139?mode=amp

Not allowed by whom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Not allowed by whom?

The Pro14 are paying for the travel to SA so I imagine they want to keep costs down?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would imagine no one would stop Leinster flying them down on their own dime - though I don't envisage that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not allowed by whom?

"New Pro14 rules" says the first line of the article; so I take that to mean Celtic Rugby.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would be pretty daft to have extra rules about the playing squad for specific fixtures.

What are teams supposed to do if two players in the same position get injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

errlloyd wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »

Van Der Flier or is he out for some reason?

Him too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would imagine no one would stop Leinster flying them down on their own dime - though I don't envisage that happening.
    awec wrote: »
    It would be pretty daft to have extra rules about the playing squad for specific fixtures.

What are teams supposed to do if two players in the same position get injured?

Problem is if Leinster send down say 33 players and pay for the extra 5 on their own dollar then it kinda forces the hand of everyone else to do the same otherwise they are at a disadvantage over the two fixtures vis a vis Leinster.
    So it makes sense (mutual benefit if you will) for everyone to agree reasonable limits for the SA trip and stick to them. I'm guessing there'd have to be a meaningful financial penalty to force teams to stick by such an agreement.

An exception for verified injuries in key positions would seem reasonable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

An exception for verified injuries in key positions would seem reasonable though.

What are the key positions, and the non key positions, of a rugby team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

9-15 obvs. Any old fattie can play in the forwards... ;)

Everyone has a fairly important role to play but I would say 3, 4 or 5, 9, 10, 13 probably the key key key positions. A rugby team cannot function without a semi-competent scrum-half. He touches the ball far more than anyone else on the team, so what he does with it is obviously quite important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

"New Pro14 rules" says the first line of the article; so I take that to mean Celtic Rugby.

I take it to mean that their travel is being covered and that cover does not extend to guys who are being flown out mid-tour. If teams were then allowed to fly guys back and forth it would favour the wealthy guys I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness teams arent likely to want to change too many players between the 2 games anyway as logistically its better to have the players on the ground for the second game for a week and a bit however if someone has an injury to say a hooker then there is no way the league are going to stop another coming out.

• Advertisement

Will this be the general discussion thread for the season?

If so can we change the name, just like. The combination of numeric digits, the / and the double question make makes my eyes bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would it be better to start a new thread for the season instead of having it thrown in with 123 pages of discussion about the change from pro12 to pro14.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, this one has served its purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/30/the-breakdown-pro-14-expansion-germany-spain-canada

Interesting article. Canada, America, Spain and Germany also still under consideration. Also Proteas 14 made me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/30/the-breakdown-pro-14-expansion-germany-spain-canada

Interesting article. Canada, America, Spain and Germany also still under consideration. Also Proteas 14 made me laugh.

This made me laugh...

'I met with Treviso’s owner recently and he wants to make it a rugby powerhouse'

• Advertisement

golfer555 wrote: »
    This made me laugh...

'I met with Treviso’s owner recently and he wants to make it a rugby powerhouse'

There was a brief time when Treviso looked like they were heading in the right direction tbf. Think they got up to 7th in the league one year, managed to win a HEC game or two as well. Squad just got pillaged after that.

There was a brief time when Treviso looked like they were heading in the right direction tbf. Think they got up to 7th in the league one year, managed to win a HEC game or two as well. Squad just got pillaged after that.

I wonder how much of this is to blame for Italian rugby not progressing. Everytime they start picking up results from having a crop of decent players come through they end up losing a lot of those quality lads overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I wonder how much of this is to blame for Italian rugby not progressing. Everytime they start picking up results from having a crop of decent players come through they end up losing a lot of those quality lads overseas.

Where is all the Italian 6N money going? Or is there just not that much of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

in that season it took a last minute sexy drop goal to beat them over there.

• Advertisement

Guinness PRO14 Elite Referee Squad – 2017/18

Mike Adamson (SRU)
    Competition debut:
    Munster v Benetton Rugby, Nov 2016
    Appearances: 8

Stuart Berry (SARU)
    Super Rugby debut:
    Toyota Cheetahs v Western Force, May 2012
    Super Rugby Appearances: 26

Andrew Brace (IRFU)
    Competition debut:
    Cardiff Blues v Zebre, Sep 2015
    Appearances: 23

George Clancy (IRFU)
    Competition debut:
    Border Reivers v Dragons, Oct 2004.
    Appearances: 89

Ian Davies (WRU)
    Competition debut:
    Connacht v Aironi, April 2012.
    Appearances: 64

Quinton Immelman (SARU)
    Super Rugby debut:
    Toyota Cheetahs v Sunwolves, March 2016
    Super Rugby Appearances: 8

Dan Jones (WRU)
    Competition debut:
    Munster v Zebre, Oct 2016.
    Appearances: 8

John Lacey (IRFU)
    Competition debut:
    Edinburgh v Ospreys, Nov 2008.
    Appearances: 63

Marius Mitrea (FIR)
    Competition debut:
    Connacht v Scarlets, Sep 2011.
    Appearances: 68

Frank Murphy (IRFU)
    Competition debut:
    Dragons v Edinburgh, Nov 2016.
    Appearances: 5

Nigel Owens (WRU)
    Competition debut:
    Border Reivers v Connacht, Aug 2002.
    Appearances: 152

Ben Whitehouse (WRU)
    Competition debut:
    Connacht v Zebre, Nov 2014.
    Appearances: 33

David Wilkinson (IRFU)
    Competition debut:
    Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets, April 2008.
    Appearances: 51

Read more at http://www.pro14rugby.org/2017/08/30/guinness-pro14-elite-referee-squad-named-for-the-201718-season/#paKRlDC6mGci8drC.99

Round 1 Appointments

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh
    George Clancy (IRFU)

Munster v Benetton Rugby
    Ian Davies (WRU)

Ulster v Toyota Cheetahs
    Andrew Brace (IRFU)

Ospreys v Zebre Rugby Club
    Quinton Immelman (SARU)

Dragons v Leinster
    Mike Adamson (SRU)

Scarlets v Southern Kings
    Frank Murphy (IRFU)

Connacht v Glasgow Warriors
    Ben Whitehouse (WRU)

Read more at http://www.pro14rugby.org/2017/08/30/guinness-pro14-elite-referee-squad-named-for-the-201718-season/#paKRlDC6mGci8drC.99

No Peyper. Excellent.

No Peyper. Excellent.

Quinton Immelman is pretty green, having only reffed a few super rugby game sthis season, but hes decent enough

Berry has more experience, including international games... but can be flaky and a bit of a homer, having received official complaints in the past.

No Peyper. Excellent.

Peyper is never available September through to December as he takes his extended holidays in New Zealand:

eyesopen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Supersport in SA announced today that they have secured Pro14 tv rights.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

season thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057780714

we'll keep this one as a historic reminder of the build up to the pro14.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement