Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can the new Feedback be discussed by the site users?

Options
  • 30-06-2017 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The changes to feedback are being given a proper test run before we are opening them up for discussion or debate.

This is not to say that they wont be reversed or altered but that this is now the starting point from which we move ahead but before we make any further changes we need to assess how this change is operating and how it compares to the system that has been in place up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

The Open discussion forum would be the place for this and an open discussion on the feedback changes will be opened once the testing period has been completed and an idea of how it is working has been formed.

However, I can see the merits of a discussion melting pot and I'll raise this with the admins. the problem here would be that it would be open to abuse unless moderated and any degree of moderation may be deemed censorship or attempts to suppress opinion. Its balancing the value of the forum to the community vs the potential for abuse by the minority.

I'll update when I have a response but in the meantime thanks for the suggestion.

The new feedback format has been in place for just over three weeks now. I would see the test period lasting two to three months. most new forums have a review at the 6 month mark - but this isn't a new forum ,just a new approach to a forum.

I'll update this when there is an actual date set.

• Advertisement

Testing period will be two months. During which time the staff and admins will discuss how the forum operates and identify issues, correct the mechanism (like we already stopped responses from OPs being moderated and introduced tags to make managing new threads easier).

Discussion with Cmods/mods will then take place to get their views as they will often be the ones called upon to offer a response should one be needed. this discussion should take about a week or two but I'm going to pin a deadline of 1 month on that.

Then I will open an Open Discussion thread where the current setup will be laid out and the the future plans/changes. All users will then be invited to take part in a moderated discussion. Where user opinion and suggestions will be taken into account and possibly spin off new feedback topics where a particular view or idea warrants further discussion out side of the main open topic.

The provision of a separate discussion section outside of feedback is a different issue and has been presented to admins and staff for consideration. I do not have a timeline for this yet nor do I have a definite deadline for when a timeline will be available. (we are not all available all the time so arranging strict deadlines can be tricky if we want to gather opinions).

I apologise if I did not specifically state the words but I had thought it fairly implicit in my response: currently that facility does not exist.

Feedback is not for discussing boards, it is for providing feedback and that is where some of the issues recently sprang from. If users want to have an open discussion and share their opinion on the feedback changes then they can when an open discussion thread is opened.

if you are talking about a general forum for users to discuss site issues, then that is the suggestion I have taken to the admins and will post an update when I have one.

thanks

• Advertisement

No one has said you are not allowed. It has been explained that you will be allowed. Just not yet, we are still working on the process before opening it up for discussion. We want to be sure that the process is providing the information that is helpful and reducing the interruptions to posters wanting to give feedback before we look at making changes.

However, your feedback above was taken as a suggestion for exactly that, a forum for the discussion of site events and issues and that is under consideration.

you are correct that there is nowhere to discuss the changes RIGHT NOW. and I have explained that this issue is under discussion.

I have also explained that users will be given the opportunity to air their opinions in the open discussion when it is created.

10 threads are currently not approved.

1 was from a user that closed their account

8 were on threads that were already being discussed (5 on one topic, 3 on another)

1 is feedback that the poster would prefer remain unapproved.

2 that are currently unapproved but will be responded to by an admin. just not me and not currently able to due to RL getting in the way.

....... wrote: »

answered above + count the ones approved.

How many have been submitted since the changes came into effect and of those how many were approved for publication. Dudara provided the info below on June 26th.

again, answered if you add the unapproved threads to the approved ones. There were a few others that were moved to their proper forum (helpdesk etc) and one that was deleted as a duplicate post.

And incidentally, roughly how many posts did Feedback attract in the days prior to posters not being allowed to respond to threads in Feedback?

lots. you can count them yourself, they arent hidden. However not all are actually feedback, are from actual users of boards or are on topic.
    This test period you refer to - what exactly is it you are testing for? What measure will you be using to determine whether or not new Feedback is a success?

testing is for a system to get feedback from users that want to provide feedback without losing the feedback through it getting lost in noise or discouraged because of an overly negative reception from other posters.
    Experience over years has shown that Feedback from users was often ignored here (regardless of whether or not it was perceived to be positive or negative).

and that is what is trying to be avoided. If you have 500 posts with differing opinions , sometimes completely opposite, you cannot address them all or act on them all without ignoring some. Also, not all reasons for accepting ot rejecting feedback is given. That's the nature of feedback, you give it and it is considered. It doesn't HAVE to be adopted.
    How is "helpful" Feedback identified?

by being considered by admins and staff and determined, in our experience with the site, to be helpful.

I do not have the ability to run a query against the server so must count threads manually, just like you.

As for the rest of your post, this has strayed from the original topic and has become a discussion of the feedback thread. This is currently not open for discussion as already explained.

also, it is a bit disingenuous to insinuate that details are being hidden or that I am not answering your questions when I have endeavored to answer any query you have posted up to this point.

from your latest post where you claim no information on where an open discussion might be held I can only surmise that you are either not reading the responses given or you are deliberately ignoring what you dont want to acknowledge.

Thank you for your feedback on the need for an open discussion on the site changes. As already posted, this is to be taken under consideration and an update will be posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement