Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when does going the extra mile become normal

Options
  • 30-06-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Ive worked for a company for nearly 10 years. 1 of my role models is bill Cullen. I remember watching an interview when I was a teenager where he spoke about coming in early, doing more then whats expected etc. roll on 10 years of living by this method and I've nothing to really show for it. my wages are no higher and my position is different but at the same level. Feeling a bit flat and demotivated and I fear if I come in and do what everyone else does (what theyre being paid to do) that management might see it as being lazy as ive done extra for so long that its expected. I know others in the same job are on higher wages but ive never liked to use that as an argument. What would you lot do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Look after number 1, OP. Yes- do your work, and do it to the best of your ability, but don't be a hero and start doing extra hours/weekends just to be "seen" to be doing extra. You rarely get thanked for it and if fact in most cases upper management just see you as the "go to" person when something extra needs doing or to fob a crappy job off to you. One of the hard lessons of working life is that hard work doesn't automatically mean respect, promotion or recognition. Being a drinking buddy of the boss, having the gift of the gab or just generally having a face that fits can get you much further than hard work ever will.

Since you have got yourself into this, you will have to get yourself out of it. Start going home on time, just walk out and if anyone says "this needs to be done today" say "sorry, would like to help but I'm heading home now, I have commitments". It might take them a few weeks to cop on but they will get the message OP. Your company existed before you, it will exist after you. Nobody is that important that they cant be done without. All these people who do 12 hour days and never turn off their phone are wasting their lives in my view. A job is a means to an end nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's a hiding to nothing. Unless you have a stake in the company you're wasting your time.

What's your end goal, to make more money? You have to think strategic, make a plan, look at the jobs market and what's in demand, then upskill etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LostHiigaran

I used to go way and beyond but it never really paid back. You work like everyone else for a week and your extra work is missed, you might be called up for slacking while someone genuinely slacking will be seen as a good worker.

You will find as well that personality matters as much as meritocracy. Be friendly to management and don't be afraid to get involved in anything. All they want to know if your eager, which can be better portrayed in how you act with your peers and management more than doing extra work will.

Most people make more money when they change jobs. Its good for the CV and your career having different aspects of the same field (and hopefully for your wallet).

It all depends OP. If there is only room for one boss there will only be one boss. If the bosses son is going to be the next manager then no amount of work will make you manager.

What do you want to achieve?

If say your goal is to become a manager you have to ask the current manager how you can achieve this and what would be the time frame.
    If they say it isn't possible or if it doesn't happen as they promised then you have to decide whether to move to somewhere else to try to achieve what you want.

You need to communicate to your superiors what your goals are. (Within reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

my goals are to climb the ladder and hopefully matter, the difference between here and there financially isn't great, i do get a better buzz out of making a difference. when i worked in the sales side of the business. the person who would literally run to the manager with every little issue got promoted ahead of me. it was only when i left the dept that i got a bit of recognition. Im now in the accounts side of the business which is fine, its mon to fri which is nice. my issue is i get paid the same as my colleagues. I know this. yet i perform a lot of the duties of the manager, accepting a lot of the resposibilities .... because i can. I fear if i turn around and say no, im doing my job that i will be seen as lazy despite the fact that im doing what i get paid to do. People say i should ask for promotion etc, on principle I feel the company should recognise and you shouldn't need to ultimatum them. Maybe that's an issue but im not gonna change that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    my goals are to climb the ladder and hopefully matter, the difference between here and there financially isn't great, i do get a better buzz out of making a difference. when i worked in the sales side of the business. the person who would literally run to the manager with every little issue got promoted ahead of me. it was only when i left the dept that i got a bit of recognition. Im now in the accounts side of the business which is fine, its mon to fri which is nice. my issue is i get paid the same as my colleagues. I know this. yet i perform a lot of the duties of the manager, accepting a lot of the resposibilities .... because i can. I fear if i turn around and say no, im doing my job that i will be seen as lazy despite the fact that im doing what i get paid to do. People say i should ask for promotion etc, on principle I feel the company should recognise and you shouldn't need to ultimatum them. Maybe that's an issue but im not gonna change that

How much are you earning per annum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

People say i should ask for promotion etc, on principle I feel the company should recognise and you shouldn't need to ultimatum them. Maybe that's an issue but im not gonna change that

People are right. The company's priority is to itself - if you do more work than you're paid to do, and/or do it better, they've got great value for money, but they don't need to recognise it because that wasn't what you were employed to do.

Everyone I know who's been in a similar position (and I mean everyone) has stagnated in that same position until they changed. Those who really wanted to stay with the company (becaused they liked the work/the ambiance/the overall conditions/whatever) and knew that they'd be hard to replace sat down with senior management and told them that they felt they deserved more financial recognition. If they didn't get it, they'd have to consider accepting an offer from another company.

Those who didn't really care just upped and left, and found a better offer in another company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I don't understand the phrase going the extra mile. It doesn't make any sense. For example, on any journey that I make, the mode of transport doesn't matter, if I go an extra mile, I'm not at my destination. I'm somewhere else. A mile away.

It's a good phrase for Ryanair to use, but not for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You go the extra mile for somone else, not for yourself! To use your transport analogy, as a driver you would willingly overshoot your destination to drop someone off at their destination, rather than leave them to figure out how to cover that extra distance on their own.

Climbing the ladder is a vague goal.

How big is the organisation?
    Could you find meaning elsewhere? (eg volunteering)

You talk about an employee who was always running to management - what can you learn from them? Are they a better communicator keeping management informed on what they were doing and how they were contributing?
    Did they ask for promotion?
    Edit: it is from the bible: Romans could force locals to work for them. Jesus said if they make you go one mile, go a second mile too.

• Advertisement

1 of my role models is bill Cullen.
    This was your first mistake. Bill oft expressed an opinion that people should work for free during a recession. He offered no opinion on how that approach might pay their bills or meet their commitments. This included how such people might perhaps buy the cars that he was trying to sell.
    roll on 10 years of living by this method and I've nothing to really show for it. my wages are no higher and my position is different but at the same level.
    The company that you work for does not value you. At all. As described above, cut back your hours to what it states in your contract. Discover personal commitments that don't allow you to work any extra. Use your new found spare time to brush up your CV and find yourself a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you don't say out loud "I want to be promoted" then your employer may never pay attention. They may assume that you're happy where you are. If you're hoping that they'll notice all your extra efforts, then you'll probably be disappointed.

Putting in extra effort is great, but it's got to be in the right areas and it's got to be backed up by a clear vision for yourself. Your bosses aren't mind readers. You've got to do the extra effort, then tell them you did the extra effort and tell them why it mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

If you are after a promotion you need to sit down with management and tell them that, not quiet an ultimatum but say you are interested in ....... Role and ask what you need to do to get there, at least that way you can review in a few months and see if you are any closer, if not seriously consider looking for something else.

Not trying to offend you but it seems very naive to thing that just because you are doing extra work and taking on responsibility that the company will automatically give you a promotion and extra money, if you are willing to do extra work for more money then they will sit back and let you for as long as they can, they are a money making ( I assume) business after all. In my experience with working for companies, if you don't ask, you wont get.

The guy they promoted over you probably told them his intentions, and they may have worried that he'd leave if they didn't promote him, whereas you haven't made you intentions clear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Agree that you need to sit down and talk to your employer about what is needed to move up in the company. You can't expect things to just be handed to you. You need to push for it and make sure it happens. If a promotion comes up and you don't get it, ask they why and what you need to do to get it next time. If it keeps happening they you are probably missing something that they want. What have you done over the last 10 years to make yourself attractive for promotion? Have you done any certs / courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Many books and interviews have been written, that all say the same common thing from those who were at the very top of their game.
    Go home and spend more time with your family, nature and the world.

No one at their last rites said they wished they spent more time at the desk/office/work.
    Apart from that lady in India that spent her time caring for the poor and desolate, but that was more of a vocation thing, than actual work.

How much are you earning per annum?

around 30k
    Climbing the ladder is a vague goal.

How big is the organisation?
    Could you find meaning elsewhere? (eg volunteering)

Large multinational

You talk about an employee who was always running to management - what can you learn from them? Are they a better communicator keeping management informed on what they were doing and how they were contributing?
    Did they ask for promotion?
    Edit: it is from the bible: Romans could force locals to work for them. Jesus said if they make you go one mile, go a second mile too.

The employee didn't inform of what they were doing. they simply complained a lot about the problems in the company. again my own issue maybe is don't complain unless you have a solution. its clear to everyone in the company what the issues were, being a parrot isn't constructive
    rustynutz wrote: »
    If you are after a promotion you need to sit down with management and tell them that, not quiet an ultimatum but say you are interested in ....... Role and ask what you need to do to get there, at least that way you can review in a few months and see if you are any closer, if not seriously consider looking for something else.

Not trying to offend you but it seems very naive to thing that just because you are doing extra work and taking on responsibility that the company will automatically give you a promotion and extra money, if you are willing to do extra work for more money then they will sit back and let you for as long as they can, they are a money making ( I assume) business after all. In my experience with working for companies, if you don't ask, you wont get.

The guy they promoted over you probably told them his intentions, and they may have worried that he'd leave if they didn't promote him, whereas you haven't made you intentions clear

It's not that im doing extra of my own work. Its the fact im doing most of the managers work and not getting paid to do it. the job description is posted clearly on internal websites and im doing what im paid for aswell as what someone else is paid for

Thanks for the feedback folks. Ill take it on board and request a meeting to find out what needs to be done or if there is anything else. In my mind ive always played sport, rugby & gaa. in both sports I was made captain, not by being the most skillfull but by putting the most in. prob naïve to think this attitude carries to professional life

request a meeting to find out what needs to be done or if there is anything else.
    I recommend having a firm deadline set. You've let this drift on for 10 years already.

What's your plan in case this meeting doesn't deliver what you're looking for?

this is the problem you see and I feel they know it. I love working for the company. I don't want to leave. I was hoping that by simply doing what I was paid to do then the higher ups would notice and a dialogue might start. like I said I don't want to ultimatum because at the end of the day ill most likely be the 1s to loose.

I don't want to leave.
    In that case, prepare to be disappointed. You have nothing to negotiate with and are probably wasting your time even having the meeting.

Why not just stop doing the extra work and wait for them to come to you?

That's the plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Unless you are prepared to leave then be prepared for disappointment. In a previous life I worked for a large multinational. They placed great emphasis on external appointments and rarely when someone was prompted internally it was generally someone who would accept none or a very small salary increase. After a few years of being looked over I just left and went to a rival with a huge salary increase. Within 4 months I was approached by my previous employer looking to give me the role they had previously dented me on many occasions. Between the two moves my salary increases by 30k over 7months.

Do not under any circumstances tell them that you don't want to leave as this automatically takes away you leverage. By all means tell them your preference is to stay but that you are prepared to leave.

Have you looked externally to see what you would be worth on the current jobs market? Would be a good idea to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Worked for an American company for a few years, never again, truly dreadful working environment. Highly exploitative. Most if not all workers at all levels treated poorly and encouraged to treat each other poorly. Lessons learned, be on time, the odd late is ok but don't make a habit of it, apologies for ill behaviour such as lates etc. do a days work, they are paying you afterall. Don't kill yourself, and most importantly, make friends and have a laugh in work as life's too short. If you're not happy, move on. Best of luck op

cheers for the advice folks

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

ssmith6287 wrote:
    It's not that im doing extra of my own work. Its the fact im doing most of the managers work and not getting paid to do it. the job description is posted clearly on internal websites and im doing what im paid for aswell as what someone else is paid for

What are the managers doing with their time that stops them from doing their job properly? Perhaps you should consider slowly easing back covering their workload, saying you need to leave work on time due to X Y or Z. Will the managers manager soon notice a backlog/shortfall? Would it be seen as 'poor form' if you reported your manager to his manager, presuming your and his workloads are easily visible?

Do not under any circumstances tell them that you don't want to leave as this automatically takes away you leverage. By all means tell them your preference is to stay but that you are prepared to leave.

Perhaps phrase it along the lines of
    "I really like it here and enjoy the work and like the company but I'm prepared to EXPLORE ALL THE OPTIONS"
    After working 30+ years with no meaningful promotion despite my work and efforts it felt like I was playing a game without knowing the rules so if its more money you're after then like another poster said get another job. I made two moves in three months and ended up 20% up.
    Good luck, I just wish the internet existed when I was at your point in careers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

OP from your posts it sounds like you are undervaluing yourself and because of this you are being undervalued.

If you want more money in your current job. Go into your boss, ask for a quick word. And say something like 'ive been here xxxx time, would you agree that ive gained much experience over this time?. Would you agree that i have been taking on more responsibilty lately and dealing with it effectively?. If he agrees then just go 'well i feel it would only be fair that this would be reflected with a revised renumeration for the added value im bringing to the company, dont you?

If he says no. The start looking elsewhere

Advertisement