Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Wicklow Way (2 days) as training for TDS

Options
  • 30-06-2017 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

[font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi all,[/font]

[font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I am running the TDS (UTMB) end of August and as part of my training, I am thinking of running the Wicklow Way over 2 days near the end of July (22nd+23rd or 23rd+24th). I would be skipping the first part from Marlay Park though.[/font]
    [font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]The in-laws are staying in Fethard-on-Sea (Wexford) for a week's holiday and I was planning to join them a bit later, after completing the WW.[/font]
    [font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]They would be able to drop me at Glencullen, Enniskerry or anywhere not too far from Bray. [/font]

[font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]My plan is to run 55K to Glendalough on the first day and the remaining 70K to Clonegal the next day.[/font]

[font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Would anyone know of a good cheap place to stay in Glendalough for one night? [/font]
    [font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Do you know of anywhere I could refill my water along the way? (I can carry approx. 2l.)[/font]
    [font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Also, does the trail stop at Clonegal, or would it be possible to continue on a bit further on the 3rd day? (Through Blackrock mountains, Blackstairs mountains...)[/font]

[font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Any advice would be very welcome :)[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

The Glendalough hostel is nice and cheap. Perfect location.

There's a water tap just after the road section heading toward Drummin. When you turn off road to head towards Paddock hill.

You can go on to the South Leinster way after Clonegal. It starts about 5km away from Clonegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mimich

Thanks Djoucer for the reply. 
    Any other spots for water or shops/petrol station not too far from the WW? That's actually my biggest worry...
    Also, if anyone is interested, feel free to join me anytime for any section...

[font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Hi all,[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont] [/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Just wanted to give you a quick feedback on my own 2 days Wicklow Way experience.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont] [/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I carried almost 3,5 liters of water (+some energy-bars, gels…) with me and just change of clothes for the night at Glendalough Hostel and for the next day.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I could fit everything in a the Utlimate-Direction AK hydration pack (11 l.) and a Salomon belt.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]My start point was Johnny-Fox Pub (Glencullen). Started at 9.30 am on Saturday morning[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]The weather was perfect (Sunny and 18 degrees) and despite that, the path wasn’t too crowded. Just a bit between the section Djouce – Luggala Lake.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I refilled water at the tap where Djoucer suggest above (just before the turn to Paddock hill). Perfect timing [/font][font=Wingdings, serif, EmojiFont]J[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I arrived in Glendalough in 5 hours after 40km (1437 meters elev. gain)[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Checked in Glendalough Hostel and straight went to the local Bistro where I could get really nice Fish & Chips and a Guinness for strength :)[/font][/font]
    Then to the local shop (petrol station in Laragh) in order to get my bananas + muffin (breakfast) and sandwich for the next day.
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I was in bed at 9pm, already quite tired and realizing that maybe stopping in Glendalough wasn’t the best option. I should have pushed to Glenmalure on that first day.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Next day, I woke up at 6am and left the hostel around 6.30am. Again, almost 3,5 liters of water with me.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Hiking Mullacor was very atmospheric as I spend most of the time in the clouds. But it was also quite difficult.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]The end of the day was very challenging and not as nice as the first part. Lots of road running involve and I started to have pain on both foot due to my running shoes I think.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I could refill water first in a sheep field where there was a tap (around Garryhoe, before going down Tinahely) and a second time in the pub "The Dying Cow".[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]I managed to reach Clonegal after 10h39’ and 80km (2321 meters elev. gain)[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]All in all, this was an amazing training experience through beautiful landscape.[/font][/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Don’t hesitate to ask me should you need more information.[/font][/font]
    Strava Day 1 https://www.strava.com/activities/1098495172
    Strava Day 2 https://www.strava.com/activities/1098499505

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice work. Day 3? ;):p

haha, after 2 days I was in bits ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

mimich wrote: »
    haha, after 2 days I was in bits ;)

Well done, sounds challenging but also nice solitude in a beautiful location

Advertisement