Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enforcement of road rules in Limerick CC- who's responsible?

• 30-06-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I've to drive through the city 3-4 times a day and have no option, thanks to the one way system, but to drive up William street.

It's infuriating the way people park anywhere they like in the middle of the road and stick the hazards on, thinking that's ok.

Who's responsible for enforcing this most basic of traffic laws? Is it the Gardai or traffic wardens or both? I want to make a complaint. Not that it will do anything but it's all I can do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I saw a car double parked with hazards on yesterday outside Ulster bank on O'Connell Street. Blocking the whole lane.

The Garda Traffic Core in front of me drove past slowly and didn't even look, let alone stop.

Nobody cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

It's all over the city. People walking out in front of moving traffic etc. It's crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cyclists using footpaths, its just the irish way, park where you like when you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I have to say I don't blame cyclists at all from using footpaths in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Not that bothered about cyclists on footpaths- grinds my gears (pardon the pun) when they use pedestrian crossings, not bothering to dismount - I almost hit a young lady who just cycled out in front of me one evening recently (rant over!)
    BTW I cycle myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

To answer op's question both AGS and the traffic warden have responsibility for policing this. AGS however is stretched to the limit so will generally leave something like this to the traffic wardens (whose sole job it is) to deal with.

Anyway the problem isn't enforcement, it's a societal one. It's deemed to be socially acceptable to park on double yellows or to double park in limerick.

I myself am a former member of AGS and I can tell you on quiet days in Limerick I often spent hours clearing illegally parked cars from William street, the issue was people could see you standing there giving a ticket to someone and would just pull in themselves, it was ridiculous.

A serious change is needed alright, the attitude of motorists who illegally park in our city needs to change for this problem to solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe the punishment just isn't good enough to help be a deterrent. They do it because they know the penalty is low. Normally the best way to get through to lazy ignorant motorists is by taking their money off them. Maybe issue higher fines/court summonses in these zones by using CCTV to identify the registration plates of illegal parkers.

source wrote: »
    Anyway the problem isn't enforcement, it's a societal one. It's deemed to be socially acceptable to park on double yellows or to double park in limerick.

I myself am a former member of AGS and I can tell you on quiet days in Limerick I often spent hours clearing illegally parked cars from William street, the issue was people could see you standing there giving a ticket to someone and would just pull in themselves, it was ridiculous.

A serious change is needed alright, the attitude of motorists who illegally park in our city needs to change for this problem to solved.

Yeah I totally agree that it's about attitude. That won't change unless there's enforcement though. People will continue to park where they like until there's a consequence.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe the punishment just isn't good enough to help be a deterrent. They do it because they know the penalty is low. Normally the best way to get through to lazy ignorant motorists is by taking their money off them. Maybe issue higher fines/court summonses in these zones by using CCTV to identify the registration plates of illegal parkers.

CCTV is a great idea. I don't even think we need to change the penalty, as €40 or whatever it is is enough to make people abide by the rules. We just need enforcement.

Is it the council that employs the wardens? If it is then I'm going to submit a complaint about it, would be good if others would do it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Traffic Management section of the Council I'd imagine. Maybe start with the contact details here but as with most Public Services expect to be either fobbed off or passed around from pillar to post:

https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/roads-and-travel/traffic-and-parking/pay-or-appeal-parking-fine

Saw the Gardai issuing a ticket for some clown parked in one of the lanes on William st today. Was great to see!

If they sustained it for a few days then the message would get through that you can't park wherever you like

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm back in Germany now and it has to be said it's totally different.
    Generally people respect parking restrictions and that is with even less enforcement. You hardly see the Polizei or Traffic Wardens, but you will also hardly see cars parked badly, or even abandoned willy nilly, all over the place.
    It really is a cultural thing. If you tackled someone in Limerick over bad parking, they would either laugh it off, or get aggressive.
    And it's all-pervasive and it starts with mass parking (bad), funeral parking (worse) and match parking (make a point of parking like the biggest arsehole).
    Then it goes on to "I'll only be a minute!" parking and, of course, "on private property the law doesn't mean sh*t!" parking, which is almost the worst, because there you can just abandon your car, the lines or signs don't mean anything.
    For me it's about respect for others. The approach to rules seems to be different. In Germany it's "The rules are there so we can all get along and everyone knows what their rights and obligations are". In Ireland it seems to be "Fcuk that, I'm not being bossed around, I'll just dump my car here, anyone has a problem with that, I'll just tell him to fcuk off"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Generally people respect parking restrictions and that is with even less enforcement. You hardly see the Polizei or Traffic Wardens, but you will also hardly see cars parked badly, or even abandoned willy nilly, all over the place.
    It really is a cultural thing. If you tackled someone in Limerick over bad parking, they would either laugh it off, or get aggressive.
    And it's all-pervasive and it starts with mass parking (bad), funeral parking (worse) and match parking (make a point of parking like the biggest arsehole).
    Then it goes on to "I'll only be a minute!" parking and, of course, "on private property the law doesn't mean sh*t!" parking, which is almost the worst, because there you can just abandon your car, the lines or signs don't mean anything.
    For me it's about respect for others. The approach to rules seems to be different. In Germany it's "The rules are there so we can all get along and everyone knows what their rights and obligations are". In Ireland it seems to be "Fcuk that, I'm not being bossed around, I'll just dump my car here, anyone has a problem with that, I'll just tell him to fcuk off"

I live in Spain. Its a 200 euro fine if you encroach on a footpath. That sorts it out fairly quickly. As in if you are on it you get the fine. Does not matter if you are in the car or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

John_Mc wrote:
    Saw the Gardai issuing a ticket for some clown parked in one of the lanes on William st today. Was great to see!

John_Mc wrote:
    If they sustained it for a few days then the message would get through that you can't park wherever you like

Would Mayorstone Gardai please deal in a similar manner with those who park dangerously on Shelbourne Road opposite the park entrance?

I'm sure the streets were clean too. That's what a country with a socially responsible population is like. Nothing like Limerick!
    chicorytip wrote: »
    Would Mayorstone Gardai please deal in a similar manner with those who park dangerously on Shelbourne Road opposite the park entrance?

You'd expect the Gardai to be enforcing the law all over the place. Not in Ireland though and definitely not in Limerick. They think it's better to catch people speeding at the end of a motorway in the name of "safety"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I live in Spain. Its a 200 euro fine if you encroach on a footpath. That sorts it out fairly quickly. As in if you are on it you get the fine. Does not matter if you are in the car or out.

I take it that's in Madrid or Barcelona.??
    It's certainly not the case in all Spanish cities/towns, and definitely not in the holiday resorts that I have visited, where parking is on par with the likes of William Street in Limerick or Main Street Rathkeale.
    Comparing Limerick to cities in Spain or Germany is a fallacy. A city like Limerick would be only classed as a small town in mainland Europe.
    Parking tickets are a waste of time in Limerick, be it €20 or €200.

washman3 wrote: »
    I take it that's in Madrid or Barcelona.??
    It's certainly not the case in all Spanish cities/towns, and definitely not in the holiday resorts that I have visited, where parking is on par with the likes of William Street in Limerick or Main Street Rathkeale.
    Comparing Limerick to cities in Spain or Germany is a fallacy. A city like Limerick would be only classed as a small town in mainland Europe.
    Parking tickets are a waste of time in Limerick, be it €20 or €200.

I don't see it as a falacy to expect that people adhere to the rules of the road, and respect their fellow citizens in the same way that they do in other countries. The size of the town or village is also irrelevant.

Why are you suggesting that we don't ticket anyone in Limerick cos it's a "waste of time"? Are you saying it should be clamping instead or do nothing at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

John_Mc wrote: »
    I don't see it as a falacy to expect that people adhere to the rules of the road, and respect their fellow citizens in the same way that they do in other countries. The size of the town or village is also irrelevant.

Why are you suggesting that we don't ticket anyone in Limerick cos it's a "waste of time"? Are you saying it should be clamping instead or do nothing at all?

Its a waste of time and resources because most of the time 'somebody knows somebody' and the ticket will be quashed, or like we've seen of late, people will go to court and swear blind that they never received the ticket.
    We're living in the dark ages with a Garda or Traffic warden writing parking tickets. Does clamping really work.? the jury is still out on that.
    If we want to get serious on bad parking we need drastic measures, confiscate the car for X amount of days and charge X amount to get it back. Where do we keep all the cars we confiscate? Plenty of empty yards around,after a few weeks/months only smaller compounds would be needed when the penny finally drops.
    Cut out the pussy-footing once and for all.
    That's my solution, whats yours.?

washman3 wrote: »
    Its a waste of time and resources because most of the time 'somebody knows somebody' and the ticket will be quashed, or like we've seen of late, people will go to court and swear blind that they never received the ticket.
    We're living in the dark ages with a Garda or Traffic warden writing parking tickets. Does clamping really work.? the jury is still out on that.
    If we want to get serious on bad parking we need drastic measures, confiscate the car for X amount of days and charge X amount to get it back. Where do we keep all the cars we confiscate? Plenty of empty yards around,after a few weeks/months only smaller compounds would be needed when the penny finally drops.
    Cut out the pussy-footing once and for all.
    That's my solution, whats yours.?

You're over exaagerating with the tickets being written off I think. Maybe the odd on is "lost" but it can't be endemic as you're stating.

As for what I'm suggesting - basic enforcement would be nice. I have only ever seen the wardens inspecting tickets on cars that are parked correctly, but never on william street or the like where pople literally park on the road.

I hate clamping but it works. I lived in Dublin for 10 years and if you park like a d*ckhead you are rightly penalised for it. There's no claiming you didn't know about it either.

I think the system you're talking about is called towing and that's obviously going to be more expensive to operate than clamping. It's overkill in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭jsd1004

You're over exaagerating with the tickets being written off I think. Maybe the odd on is "lost" but it can't be endemic as you're stating.

As for what I'm suggesting - basic enforcement would be nice. I have only ever seen the wardens inspecting tickets on cars that are parked correctly, but never on william street or the like where pople literally park on the road.

I hate clamping but it works. I lived in Dublin for 10 years and if you park like a d*ckhead you are rightly penalised for it. There's no claiming you didn't know about it either.

I think the system you're talking about is called towing and that's obviously going to be more expensive to operate than clamping. It's overkill in my opinion.
    I have a place in Malaga city. You pause/stop on the footpath ..you get a 200 euro fine. I have got one..
    They bring you to the atm for payment..makes you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Parnell Street holds Olympic trials for triple parking.

Just people going in for a bag of chips, like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

William Street is currently operating with one lane only. The other lane is used for parking and deliveries. So, why not just formalise the situation and provide some limited parking and delivery bays, and widen the footpath where possible. This would improve the street for retailers and pedestrians and even improve the situation for motorists too. Alternatively, you could have a contra-flow cycle lane going down William Street that would greatly improve the situation for cyclists.

zulutango wrote: »
    William Street is currently operating with one lane only. The other lane is used for parking and deliveries. So, why not just formalise the situation and provide some limited parking and delivery bays, and widen the footpath where possible. This would improve the street for retailers and pedestrians and even improve the situation for motorists too. Alternatively, you could have a contra-flow cycle lane going down William Street that would greatly improve the situation for cyclists.

Here we go again with the anti-motorist agenda.

If they did something like that then they would have to form a different route to get to the other side of the city for motorists. Traffic is funnelled there through the one way system in the exact same way as Henry street.

Also, it's not a good idea to do this on a road with so many bus stops on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Parnell Street holds Olympic trials for triple parking.

Just people going in for a bag of chips, like

Sure don't you know the warning lights make you invisible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

If they did something like that then they would have to form a different route to get to the other side of the city for motorists. Traffic is funnelled there through the one way system in the exact same way as Henry street.

You might want to rethink that a little. The people who display such a shocking lack of respect to all road users are motorists! That street operates at reduced capacity pretty much the entire time due to outrageous displays of ignorant, selfish, pathetic parking in the right hand lane! It's dangerous to other motorists, to pedestrians and to cyclists.

It's been occurring for as long as I can remember and at this point we'd be as well off to remove the lane, widen the footpath, throw in some extra loading bays and a cycle lane. The situation is an absolute mess with the existing arrangement!

I've no anti-motorist agenda. Just a pro-Limerick one. In any case, I have no idea how you interpreted my post as anti-motorist, unless you're in favour of the illegal parking situation on William Street. Your second point bears no relevance to the one I made.

Vanquished wrote: »
    You might want to rethink that a little. The people who display such a shocking lack of respect to all road users are motorists! That street operates at reduced capacity pretty much the entire time due to outrageous displays of ignorant, selfish, pathetic parking in the right hand lane! It's dangerous to other motorists, to pedestrians and to cyclists.

It's been occurring for as long as I can remember and at this point we'd be as well off to remove the lane, widen the footpath, throw in some extra loading bays and a cycle lane. The situation is an absolute mess with the existing arrangement!

I absolutely agree. I am on the OP who started this trhead as the situation is ridiculous.

I am forced to travel up William street 2-4 times a day during the week and it drives me mad each and every time. The solution, with the traffic flow as it is right now, is not to permanently close the right hand lane but to enforce the rules of the roads and clamp or toe the d*ckheads who abondon their cars there.

Pedestrians are just as bad on that road with most people running out across the road in front of incoming traffic.

I've no anti-motorist agenda. Just a pro-Limerick one. In any case, I have no idea how you interpreted my post as anti-motorist, unless you're in favour of the illegal parking situation on William Street. Your second point bears no relevance to the one I made.

You're against the NDR for a start. You basically want to close most lanes in the city (Henry st, William st) to encourage people to live there, which is fair enough, but you give no solutions to cars getting across the city.

As for the second point, if you close one lane and keep the bus stops there it will slow everything down as buses are slower and less agile than cars. I frequently see some tosser lorry driver blocking the right hand lane abeam the bus stop and the buses can't maneuver into the stops, so they stop in the middle of the road, then traffic is backed up across the Sarsfield bridge as far as the Strand. This will happen all the time with one lane permanently closed.

You're against the NDR for a start. You basically want to close most lanes in the city (Henry st, William st) to encourage people to live there, which is fair enough, but you give no solutions to cars getting across the city.

If we build the NDR would you agree to removing many of the traffic lanes in the city centre? Perhaps removing through-traffic altogether, as per the Groningen example? https://vimeo.com/76207227

If we build the NDR would you agree to removing many of the traffic lanes in the city centre? Perhaps removing through-traffic altogether, as per the Groningen example? https://vimeo.com/76207227

Yes, or an alternative to the NDR that everyone can agree to. As I said before, I've love Limerick to have the traits you're seeking and they are good ideas. But you can't do them without having the infrastructure in place for traffic. Ideally traffic could be routed around the city rather than through it.

We should have adequate public transport but we don't so most people drive and that fact can't be ignored.

As for your example there, there are 3 differences to the Netherlands:
    • Not as flat in Ireland so cycling is physically harder. Good for health but lazy people won't bother
    • Limerick has a terribly wet climate
    • Bike crime is rampant and the Gardai are doing SFA about it

I live on the Ennis road and am amazed at the lack of people walking and cycling into the city in the morning. In Dublin it's astonishing how many get to work this way and it's great to see

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As has already been pointed out to you, Groningen has a full ring road, which Limerick doesn't. You're against building the NDR to complete the ring around the city, so how to you propose to remove though traffic without a full ring road.

Advertisement