Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enforcement of road rules in Limerick CC- who's responsible?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

As has already been pointed out to you, Groningen has a full ring road, which Limerick doesn't. You're against building the NDR to complete the ring around the city, so how to you propose to remove though traffic without a full ring road.

I've previously said that the NDR only makes sense if you block through traffic, as they have done in Groningen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Here we go again........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

There is a simple solution to parking incentives for the wardens or privatise the damn department.

William street is a shambles, but if people would just use the more than ample multistorey and park in actual spaces it would work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

John_Mc wrote:
    As for your example there, there are 3 differences to the Netherlands: Not as flat in Ireland so cycling is physically harder. Good for health but lazy people won't botherLimerick has a terribly wet climateBike crime is rampant and the Gardai are doing SFA about it I live on the Ennis road and am amazed at the lack of people walking and cycling into the city in the morning. In Dublin it's astonishing how many get to work this way and it's great to see

The numbers commuting by bicycle in Dublin is still rather low (10% approx.) in comparison to other European capital cities. Cycling around Limerick City centre, as I do regularly, can be dangerous and stressful mainly because lack of observation by some motorists and, more frequently, pedestrians (jaywalkers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

chicorytip wrote: »
    The numbers commuting by bicycle in Dublin is still rather low (10% approx.) in comparison to other European capital cities. Cycling around Limerick City centre, as I do regularly, can be dangerous and stressful mainly because lack of observation by some motorists and, more frequently, pedestrians (jaywalkers).

Totally agree with you.

I don't think Ireland will ever get as high a percentage of people cycling to work as the european countrues because of the weather. It's a lot harder and more dangerous when it's dark, windy and wet.

I do think all motorists should have to try cycling in traffic for a while though. It definitely makes you more aware of how easy it is to hit someone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

John_Mc wrote: »

I don't think Ireland will ever get as high a percentage of people cycling to work as the european countrues because of the weather. It's a lot harder and more dangerous when it's dark, windy and wet.

My brother is living in Vancouver at the moment which has a lot more rainfall than Ireland and everyone cycles there. I cycle to UL everyday whether its raining or not. I have a pair of waterproofs that I stick on, take them off when I get to uni and am bone dry for the rest of the day. It takes me 20minutes to cycle from city and would take me about 45minutes sitting in traffic if I were to drive. Cycling is a no-brainer and Ireland being dark,windy,wet is a bit of a lazy excuse imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

panda100 wrote: »
    My brother is living in Vancouver at the moment which has a lot more rainfall than Ireland and everyone cycles there. I cycle to UL everyday whether its raining or not. I have a pair of waterproofs that I stick on, take them off when I get to uni and am bone dry for the rest of the day. It takes me 20minutes to cycle from city and would take me about 45minutes sitting in traffic if I were to drive. Cycling is a no-brainer and Ireland being dark,windy,wet is a bit of a lazy excuse imo.

It is a lazy excuse - I described it as such myself. Most people are lazy and are only looking for an excuse.

A horrible wet, dark, and windy morning in January is plenty of excuse for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

John_Mc wrote: »
    It is a lazy excuse - I described it as such myself. Most people are lazy and are only looking for an excuse.

A horrible wet, dark, and windy morning in January is plenty of excuse for them

Oh yep, sorry I totally missed what you were saying! I guess its laziness and the car culture we've adopted in Ireland too.

I pass the same people everyday on my commute and I have yet to see an overweight person commuting by bike. When I pass the cars sitting in traffic all I can see is obese people and children inside. These are usually the same people who don't understand when they get a stroke or cardiovascular disease. I don't know what we can do to incentive people to cycle/walk instead of driving but more awareness of the benefits on physical and mental health may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    Oh yep, sorry I totally missed what you were saying! I guess its laziness and the car culture we've adopted in Ireland too.

I pass the same people everyday on my commute and I have yet to see an overweight person commuting by bike. When I pass the cars sitting in traffic all I can see is obese people and children inside. These are usually the same people who don't understand when they get a stroke or cardiovascular disease. I don't know what we can do to incentive people to cycle/walk instead of driving but more awareness of the benefits on physical and mental health may help.

More restrictions on using cars and drastically more investment in alternatives. The problem with providing alternatives is that it's incredibly costly and inefficient and just not going to happen if we follow the low density development model. Vancouver is a very good example of where they resisted car-centric planning in the last half century, and it's the main reason it's such a nice city to live in, despite the weather. Other Canadian cities went the other way, Calgary being at the other end of the spectrum.

Advertisement