Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best teacher diaries?

Options
  • 30-06-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all! I am a post-primary teacher doing some online shopping for next year. Which teacher diary/planner would everyone recommend? Ideally a4 sized, with nine lessons as well as attendance/grade records. I know the Folens one is popular. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I order the pirongs one from England for the last three years. I love it. And lots of staff have gotten their own. None of the Irish ones have near enough space for planning

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

I order the pirongs one from England for the last three years. I love it. And lots of staff have gotten their own. None of the Irish ones have near enough space for planning

I just googled them, never heard of them
    Before. They look good. Do they literally have a page for every day to record each lesson, plan and homework given?

infor123 wrote: »
    I just googled them, never heard of them
    Before. They look good. Do they literally have a page for every day to record each lesson, plan and homework given?

A page per day yeah. I don't keep a physical roll call now as vsware is sufficient but I used to keep a folens on the table for roll call and use this for my planner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

WOuld a look in easons allow you to see the range? Or do they even stock them?
    Most get folens or educate.ie ones, they all tend to be the same ring binded things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Do we need to keep a physical class roll as well as eportal/vsware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

The Pirongs one is best for planning. I get one every year too. I'd love to try an Erin Condren one but I can't justify the price.

The Pirongs one is best for planning. I get one every year too. I'd love to try an Erin Condren one but I can't justify the price.

Me too. So expensive.

Crazyteacher it probably depends on management. I keep vsware religiously and was told it was fine to not keep a physical one as my individual info for each class can be pulled from vsware (that wasn't possible on eportal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We are provided with one and have to use it. (We have been told it's a legal document and we have to keep them on file until 7 years after the student has finished school.) It's from Lettertec. It's ok, but no room for planning and there's only 8 spaces for homework for the whole year, which is obviously completely inadequate. We also have to use vsware but must keep the hard copy attendance in case of emergencies apparently. Our principal does spot checks occasionally and takes them up to review.

The Pirongs and Erin Condren ones look lovely but there's no point if we have to use the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Tell me more about the Erin Condren
    ones please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

We are provided with one and have to use it. (We have been told it's a legal document and we have to keep them on file until 7 years after the student has finished school.) It's from Lettertec. It's ok, but no room for planning and there's only 8 spaces for homework for the whole year, which is obviously completely inadequate. We also have to use vsware but must keep the hard copy attendance in case of emergencies apparently. Our principal does spot checks occasionally and takes them up to review.

The Pirongs and Erin Condren ones look lovely but there's no point if we have to use the other one.

Is your principal a micro manager by any chance? What a degrading way to deal with trained, responsible, professional staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Grueller wrote: »
    Is your principal a micro manager by any chance? What a degrading way to deal with trained, responsible, professional staff.

Yes very much so unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A phenomenal waste of time also which has no impact on teaching and learning. Somebody needs to have a word with him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

We are provided with one and have to use it.

Our principal does spot checks occasionally and takes them up to review.

Wow!! Can't believe a principal would spot check teachers diaries - surely (s)he has enough to be doing? So degrading !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Technically any document you create in school is a 'legal document' and subject to FOI or can be called upon for legal cases.
    If you don't create it then it's not legal :pac:

He might be confusing it with legal 'obligations' to take a roll... but ye have vsware so that's that done.

Reminds me of an urban legend going around about another micromanaging principal who opened all mail or packages being sent to teachers in the school.... in case they were ordering drugs online!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emily_123

I use the erin condren one, but I would not recommend it to be honest. It does its job but not really worth the high price in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Do inspectors look at them on a visit? Would they have the right to?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Couldn't justify the price of the Erin condren one so I bought another from teachers pay teachers website. It was about 15 dollars and has free updates for life. I print off the parts I need. I don't use all of it. It's editable too so that's reallly handy during the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I just bought an O'Brien '17/'18 Mid Year diary in Easons for €20. A4 hardback with a page per day, good value for small enough money.

Advertisement