Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt in N Ireland whilst working in ROI

• 30-06-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I have a mate who asked me for some advice but I don’t know what to tell him.
    He has outstanding balances on credit cards in UK which he got when he was working in NI but he has since moved to ROI but still has been paying off the debt.
    He’s still working in the south but not earning as much as he use to - he was thinking of stopping paying the CC in UK and letting them go to court looking for it.
    However he asked me two things:
    Would this effect his credit rating in ROI?
    Would UK courts be able to make him pay using income generated in ROI?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

I have a mate who asked me for some advice but I don’t know what to tell him.
    He has outstanding balances on credit cards in UK which he got when he was working in NI but he has since moved to ROI but still has been paying off the debt.
    He’s still working in the south but not earning as much as he use to - he was thinking of stopping paying the CC in UK and letting them go to court looking for it.
    However he asked me two things:
    Would this effect his credit rating in ROI?
    Would UK courts be able to make him pay using income generated in ROI?

It won't effect his credit rating in ROI although if he applies for mortgage I think he may have to be living here so many years or they will ask for a credit report from UK.

Answer to second part unless its a substantial sum he owes in the UK they won't persuit a person no longer in the country I would imagine, just your friend will be blacklisted in that country and if he ever returns to live the said company can go after him to retrieve the funds.

Basically UK courts wont do anything if he doesn't live in UK anymore unless it was a serious crime obv

Advertisement