Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Bank Account - few questions

• 30-06-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi everybody! :cool: Happy Friday!

I am currently with AIB; getting hammered quarterly on charges simply because I don't keep a big enough balance in my current account to avoid them.

I have the following accounts with them:

- Current
    - Savings (where i lodge savings before I transfer them to my ''proper'' savings account with KBC)
    - Loan (small value left, €600)
    - Credit Card (limit 2.7K, balance €300ish)

my salary gets paid into my current account each month (circa 2.6K after tax).

I am thinking to potentially move to Permanent TSB: I'm hearing good things about them these days and quite tempted by the benefits and charges of their current account. What's important for me is:

- Good service
    - Lesser fees
    - Good online banking (important).

My only concerns, and I guess the whole point of this long-winded message is:

- we are hoping to buy a home in the next 6 months to a year (by that I mean, apply for a mortgage) and,
    - I would like to maintain my access to credit - I have a good history with AIB and can get credit with them no problem, if need be. Would that carry over or would I be jeapordising this?

Anyway, sorry for the loooong message!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you pay off the credit card in full every month? If you do then it appears you would have a good credit record which will show that loan and that (hopefully) you made all the payments to the schedule. So a prospective new lender would see your good credit record and probably offer you a mortgage but if there are any black spots on your record, you might be better off staying with your present bank because a different bank will simply say 'no' unless you have a squeaky clean record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Would you not be better off moving €2500 from your savings account to your current account to prevent the charges?

AIB waives bank charged when you keep €2500 on your account afair. So if your charges are around €15 per quarter (€60 per annum) then keeping €2500 there gives you €60 annualy which is 2.4% AER. Does your savings account give you better after DIRT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

I have a good history with AIB..................always remember the banks could not care less about you or whatever history you have with them and you should treat them the same............ you are a customer and valuable to any bank they need your business

also with PTSB and find them fine with no fees...........have moved babk a feew times if i get sick of them

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

Hi all!
    I decided to go for it; after being charged another round of bank charges for a quarter (nearly 40 squid!) I decided that enough was enough.

Whilst some might say, why not have savings sitting in my current account, I understand that and it may make sense but for me, it's not what I want. I want my savings entirely separate.

Have to say, first impressions of PTSB are very positive. Hope it continues in such a way!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi all!
    I decided to go for it; after being charged another round of bank charges for a quarter (nearly 40 squid!) I decided that enough was enough.

Whilst some might say, why not have savings sitting in my current account, I understand that and it may make sense but for me, it's not what I want. I want my savings entirely separate.

Have to say, first impressions of PTSB are very positive. Hope it continues in such a way!

Be careful with PTSB, they are starting to charge for their current accounts soon. I'd go KBC over PTSB. I moved from PTSB to KBC about 9 months ago and couldn't be happier. Their app is a lot nicer to use and they are a lot quicker to adopt new technologies like Android pay. Getting free banking with KBC is fairly easy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

Be careful with PTSB, they are starting to charge for their current accounts soon. I'd go KBC over PTSB. I moved from PTSB to KBC about 9 months ago and couldn't be happier. Their app is a lot nicer to use and they are a lot quicker to adopt new technologies like Android pay. Getting free banking with KBC is fairly easy too.

Hi there! Thanks for the heads up. In actual fact, I've taken a current account with them that has charges; it's 4 euro p.m set fee and I'm actually 'happy' with it as I don't have to worry about the unexpected bill-size.

I actually hold my savings with KBC and I am pretty impressed with them too, I must say. My only turn-off is that there are too few branches around the country but it's certainly a bank that i'd consider banking with in the future.

This move of accounts, however, was about more than just the fees. For me, I was growing ever more annoyed with the disregard for my custom that AIB had and I was adamant on moving away from the 'big two'. Of course, banks are banks but I would even go as far as to say I feel quite 'excited' by the move to a new bank.

Advertisement