Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring insurance to a rental

Options
  • 30-06-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Posted a few weeks ago asking what i needed to rent a car. having a few issues leading up to it and wondering if i could be advised before i call them for the 10th time.

So in order to rent a car i need a credit card with €1200+ on it for security in my own name. Fine..... but i don't have a credit card in my name so that's that.
    So i went for solution number 1 with transferring my own car insurance over to the rental for the week i need it and i wont need a credit card then.
    Problem now is my insurance company says they wont transfer my insurance over to a rental but they will do it for a loaned car. On the website it needs car details of the car i want to temporary transfer to but i don't know details as its a rental.

So what do i do?

I was looking at car hire excess insurance but again if i buy that online i'll still need a credit card with tons of money on it when i reach the rental desk.

So again what do i do?

The only option i was given at the desk of rental company was to transfer own car insurance over but the company i'm with says no, but on their website in my account section it says i can transfer but need car details..... sorry i know i'm on repeat here. Just my head is melting with it all and i'm due to travel in 1 week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Posted a few weeks ago asking what i needed to rent a car. having a few issues leading up to it and wondering if i could be advised before i call them for the 10th time.

So in order to rent a car i need a credit card with €1200+ on it for security in my own name. Fine..... but i don't have a credit card in my name so that's that.
    So i went for solution number 1 with transferring my own car insurance over to the rental for the week i need it and i wont need a credit card then.
    Problem now is my insurance company says they wont transfer my insurance over to a rental but they will do it for a loaned car. On the website it needs car details of the car i want to temporary transfer to but i don't know details as its a rental.

So what do i do?

I was looking at car hire excess insurance but again if i buy that online i'll still need a credit card with tons of money on it when i reach the rental desk.

So again what do i do?

The only option i was given at the desk of rental company was to transfer own car insurance over but the company i'm with says no, but on their website in my account section it says i can transfer but need car details..... sorry i know i'm on repeat here. Just my head is melting with it all and i'm due to travel in 1 week.
    I work for one of the biggest car rental company in ireland.Its not that easy to transfers over private car insurance as its high risk for your own insurer in case of claim,also rental agency looses comission on rental.Get someone who have credit card and add yourself as a second driver and either pay for full insurance or leave the deposit.Its also possible to hire a car with normal debit card but u will have to pay for full insurance .I dont know where u tried but I accept debit cards on daily basis when clients take full insurance and provide proof of Irish address

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You are bang out of luck I reckon OP.

You'll have to buy expensive comp cover from the rental co.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So what do i do?

You can get your own insurance transferred to a 'replacement car'. This is a form of rental, not from the regular car rental companies but from a car dealer, usually a bigger main or indie dealer. They usually have a stock of older cars which they are prepared to rent out to people who can supply their own insurance.

The typical customer is a person who's own car is off the road for repair but they don't really care so it's worth checking out. Ring a few local dealers, ask them if they have a 'replacement car' available to rent. If they do and the price is right, the format is that you bring your insurance cert., they will phone your insurance company, give them the details and get the policy transferred to their car.

It won't be a 171 model, more likely a 6 year old Corolla and don't expect it to be polished and valeted, most of them are in relatively poor condition inside but they are much cheaper than regular rentals because you are providing the insurance. Your own car must be grounded until you transfer the policy back to it.

Advertisement