Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Cancellation Fee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I can understand that you would loose a deposit, but how exactly could they enforce their charge otherwise? they have a name and a mobile number, just tell em to f off. if that racket took off they would start aping the airline and would overbook their restaurants.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Rackstar wrote: »
    It wasn't explained at all. Needless to say I'm glad they couldn't even find the booking. I'm limited where I am but will give this place a miss when we re book.

If there is a cancellation fee, it should certainly be clearly disclosed at the time of booking.

On a more general note, if the establishment (and this could be a restaurant, Hair Dresser, Nail Salon etc) incurs a cost due to a cancellation, whom should pay the cost, the other customers, or the person canceling.

Would you be happy paying a few euro more on your bill to cost the cost of cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

For all those who suggest that a cancellation fee is acceptable, what about if you tun up, sit down, read through the menu, get shirty service from staff and decide f this we are leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I hate it when I post on a thread and forget about it.

To clarify, the whole idea of restaurants demanding deposits is anathema to me. It shows the attitude of the owners toward their customers. And they "higher-end" the restauranteur believes himself to be, the worse it gets.

What they need to realise is that people choose to eat in their establishments over another. In most businesses the owner would be appreciative of this. It seems many restauranteurs feel that they're more important than the people who pay the wages. The fact is they aren't. Without the paying customer, they have nothing. These are people who feel they don't have to answer to their customers, and so treat them with contempt.

We've all heard about the chef who comes out to berate the customer because he complained that a part of the meal wasn't cooked properly. Or the other one who's been on radio complaining that his customers don't want to eat potatoes because they're on a low carb diet. "The potatoes are vital to the taste and construction of the meal".
    Then there's the poor woman who was told to get out of the restaurant because she said she didn't want to eat gluten and asked for an alternative to something.

The restaurant industry is full of these clowns. And I suggest that they are the very reason most restaurants fail quickly. The problem is in many cases that the owners aren't business people, they're ego driven chefs. And they feel that they don't have to answer to market forces.

Every small business has challenges on a daily basis. These idiots should just suck it up and get on with it. It's not like it'll cost a kings ransom to have a couple of minimum wage employees hanging around. Run the business properly and budget accordingly. I don't hear the owners of Eddie Rockets or TGI Fridays screaming that people aren't coming into the shop. Same business - different attitude.

Advertisement