Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions v New Zealand, 2nd Test, 1/7 8.35AM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Look at those incredible All Blacks walking around the field. That's what rugby is about. Out there win or lose.

Oh wait, that's the Lions! Who was it last week going on about that?

Direct quote:

"Win or lose, the All Blacks will be out there regardless. Fact."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Sweet jesus Sky are insufferable. Drama. Drama! DRAMAAAAA!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

robbiezero wrote: »
    "Are you are stunned as the rest of us" - Give it a break Sky, its not that earth shattering to beat 14 men with a kicker that couldn't hit a bulls arse with a shovel.

Sky drowning in their own hyperbole, immortality beckons he says to SOB. Ireland already beat them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Only saw second half....who needs to be dropped to give Lions a chance next week?....apart from Vunipolo?

Terrible discipline on offsides but back play excellent in last 20 mins.

Warburton. I'd pick Tipuric with POM on bench.

Itoje was off form today.

SOB was great, same with Murray. George was decent too.

Sinclair is a great impact player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

BBDBB wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the bit of an exchange of words as Farrell was walking off?

With who?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭fitz

He didn't say yes and thats not how the law works.

He also didn't jump into the tackle, he jumped to take the ball, then the tackle came in. Unlucky timing to go for a chop tackle, but it was a fair call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm always very impressed by rugby players in their interviews immediately after matches. Very well spoken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

He really did.

See how easy it is to play this game?

You are being sycophantic
    See how easy it is to play this game

Crazy kid on Sky needs to be turned into a meme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Basil3 wrote: »
    He definitely said a word in the affirmative. I've watched the conversation enough times to be sure.

Right, well I haven't watched it again so you may be right. Still doesn't change the fact you can't just jump into a tackle, that law wouldn't work.

It's harsh but it was absolutely correct. The Lions player jumped to collect the ball and was tackled in the air. It was a freak incident but it was black and white. Its a shame it was so important but "thats rugby" as someone said to me last week.

• Advertisement

Sexton with a pitch perfect pass to put George into space and he runs forward with no tacklers for 10m.

SKY "JAMIE GEORGE WITH AN AMAZING BREAK TO SET UP THE TRY"

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Warburton was excellent. Y'all are cray. O Brien showing why kiwis hold him in such respect. Faletau not doing enough but he will keep his place because of the try.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

Anyone else notice the bit of an exchange of words as Farrell was walking off?

yup.
    lot's of niggle this game
    personal on lots of Lions levels which is what they needed
    I do not care though
    the game next week will see a new game plan (again by the AB's)
    and I'm of to Spain in an hour
    So truly, game over, the wave of red won, good onya
    seeya next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Why do the studio interview in a glasss studio.... looks like a speshul day outing behind Ferris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

laugh wrote: »
    Crazy kid on Sky needs to be turned into a meme.

Getting tetchy with being shoved out of the limelight!

fitz wrote: »
    He also didn't jump into the tackle, he jumped to take the ball, then the tackle came in. Unlucky timing to go for a chop tackle, but it was a fair call.

Exactly. Its a shame, I wish it had been something else and I feel for Crockett. But I don't think Garces had a choice.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Why do the studio interview in a glasss studio.... looks like a speshul day outing behind Ferris

What's a special day outing?

Sephiral wrote: »
    Warburton was excellent. Y'all are cray. O Brien showing why kiwis hold him in such respect. Faletau not doing enough but he will keep his place because of the try.

Sam was ok
    excellent means dominate, Sam didn't do that
    he had an ok game to keep his place

Erik Shin wrote: »

Hate fans like that. Zero class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

SOB man of the match for me. For the ruck hold off alone leading to Faletau's try. But as hard as he worked all day noone worked as hard as Graeme Simmons trying to get soundbites out of Warburton, SOB and Hansen.

Batted back down by all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    Rugby's version of Geoff Shreeves interviewing Hansen
    Cringeworthy questions

Interview by interview he managed to up the level of annoying.

Desperately trying to get Read and Hansen to blame the ref to create a story for their news channel. An absolute hack.

laurie88 wrote: »
    excellent means dominate

Are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭crybaby

Enjoy the euphoria of the win but the reality of playing against only 14 will bite next week

NZ will be stunned and come back stronger next week
    They can only beat what is put in front of them. I don't think any reality will bite next week, it will be the same tough prospect it has always been, stop being so miserable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sexton with a pitch perfect pass to put George into space and he runs forward with no tacklers for 10m.

SKY "JAMIE GEORGE WITH AN AMAZING BREAK TO SET UP THE TRY"

The break started from behind Sexton when he chose that line, caught the pass and ran. The simplest of things in theory but something we see far too little of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

SlickRic wrote: »
    This is the single worst half I've seen from a Lions team, possibly ever.

Don't know about that now

• Advertisement

Are you sure?

in my book,
    quite sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Steve Hansen should be watched for how to talk about your team. He knows fine rightly that SBW deserved his red but you never sell out your players. You say well done to the opposition when they win and focus on what you can control.

Course, if he lost more often, he might not be so magnanimous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sam was ok

I thought Sam did a great job at slowing the ball down, and another day would have gotten more turnovers.

How many times did Garces shout "Leave it now 6"??? Everytime he said that it meant effectively that Sam had put himself in the way of quick ball and slowed it successfully. And he was doing it at succesive rucks in that multi-phase around the halfway where the lions kept knocking the All Blacks back.

crybaby wrote: »
    They can only beat what is put in front of them. I don't think any reality will bite next week, it will be the same tough prospect it has always been, stop being so miserable.

Same tough prospect :rolleyes:
    Beating 15 players who will get a bashing all week is a lot different that beating 14 with a kicker having a off day

Sam was ok

Excellent means dominate?

News to me.

Excellent means holding his own against the best in the world which he did and then some. He had a good game, deserved his place and if he had played last week like that I think it would have been a tighter game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

NO not at all.
    I think he's quality.
    I've no qualms if he stays or not, I'm in the black camp for life so if he goes or not
    The 4 nations though, they are split always with the choice

Good :)

I don't rate him as highly as you, I think he's one dimensional and tactically naive, his game management was poor, the lions didn't seem to know how to take advantage of the superior numbers before the half and particularly afterward. Credit to NZ for showing how to play with a man down, keep the ball and play in their half essentially.

There is a bit of tribalism, of course there is, but there is some validity to the criticisms of his initial selections, his choice of replacements mid tour, his use/nonuse of them and the way this team of top level professionals are utilised on the field

The break started from behind Sexton when he chose that line, caught the pass and ran. The simplest of things in theory but something we see far too little of.

You don't understand, IrishLeinsterman Sexton passed him the ball and at that exact moment he also teleported Jamie George, using his coveted St Mary's telekinetic prowess, so that his running line took him through the gap. Amazing play from Ireland and Sexton.

crisco10 wrote: »
    I thought Sam did a great job at slowing the ball down, and another day would have gotten more turnovers.

How many times did Garces shout "Leave it now 6"??? Everytime he said that it meant effectively that Sam had put himself in the way of quick ball and slowed it successfully. And he was doing it at succesive rucks in that multi-phase around the halfway where the lions kept knocking the All Blacks back.

Not enough pashun and angry faces is the subtext here. He was excellent. He'll start again next week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

News to me.

Excellent means holding his own against the best in the world which he did and then some. He had a good game, deserved his place and if he had played last week like that I think it would have been a tighter game.

To excel is to be markedly better than the others, so yes, dominate is a near synonym.

News to me.

Ignoring that Kaino had gone off. He was the worst of the back row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Better than them? Please

Not enough pashun and angry faces is the subtext here. He was excellent. He'll start again next week.

huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sky will have to confirm where Graeme Simmons' other hand is during these interviews. Absolute pest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

crybaby wrote: »

Lol, at someone called crybaby for calling me on being miserable :D

I don't see it as being miserable, I think that what we saw tonight was wonderful result, it keeps the series alive but NZ will be stung and will come back even more motivated and focused, which will be nigh on impossible to defeat imo

crisco10 wrote: »
    huh?

I agree with you, you posted nearly word for word what I did on the previous page.

Think about why people might be having a go at him though, who did he come into the team for...

• Advertisement

I agree with you, you posted nearly word for word what I did on the previous page.

Think about why people might be having a go at him though, who did he come into the team for...

Ah right. Gotcha. ;) Have to say, it's what I love about the lions, being able to have guys like Itoje and Warburton on "my" team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lol, at someone called crybaby for calling me on being miserable :D

I don't see it as being miserable, I think that what we saw tonight was wonderful result, it keeps the series alive but NZ will be stung and will come back even more motivated and focused, which will be nigh on impossible to defeat imo

Yeah, but was the alternative.

Lions lose the game so that NZ would take it easier in the 3rd test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Gatland totally vindicated in his selections.

The midfield worked well and Warburton was excellent.

Sort out the stupid penalties next week and it's game on.

At the end of the day, a deserved win for the Lions. 2 tries to 0, and tries win matches. I can't really remember the AB's seriously threatening the Lions line for the whole match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

in my book,
    quite sure.

Must be a short book. Maybe more of a pamphlet.

Lions have been notably worse in many games in this tour and previous tours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That's Jeff Wilson??? The most famous blond mane in rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Basil3 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, a deserved win for the Lions. 2 tries to 0, and tries win matches. I can't really remember the AB's seriously threatening the Lions line for the whole match.

They had a couple of grubbers that were very close to ending in a try. But yeah they weren't near as threatening as usual. This week the lions were the ones dangerous and clinical with the ball in hand, pity they didn't do it more.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Ignoring that Kaino had gone off. He was the worst of the back row

whatever
    game's over
    seeya

They had a couple of grubbers that were very close to ending in a try. But yeah they weren't near as threatening as usual. This week the lions were the ones dangerous and clinical with the ball in hand, pity they didn't do it more.

The Lions dealt with those grubber comfortably, both times the defender dotted the ball down virtually uncontested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Murray's got a great nack of scoring tries at big moments in big games.

Advertisement