Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions v New Zealand, 2nd Test, 1/7 8.35AM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think even if a penalty was given he'd be in a better place. The fact that a guy was concussed and there was no sanction regardless of how soft the incident is does not bode well.

Hearing at 9am this morning so we'll know soon. SBW outcome due shortly too. His hearing started at 6am.

long_b wrote: »
    Why does he wrao but then back off?
    EDIT: point being made that he was trying to dislodge the ball.

Will make ****e of the last test as a contest if he's suspended.

Would his history come into it as a mitigating factor?
    EDIT : He was also suspended during WC

This is SOB, the man who famously played 79:30 of a test against France when he should have been off for a swinging arm trying to decapitate the defenceless Pape. His history won't help.

In all seriousness, I didn't think there was much in it, but it was a swinging arm that resulted in a player being concussed, so who knows.

It's not even a swinging arm ffs it's a completely natural motion for a guy trying to latch onto the ball to hold the player up. There's no wind up.

He's going to be banned. The Lions have very little chance without him.

It's not even a swinging arm ffs it's a completely natural motion for a guy trying to latch onto the ball to hold the player up. There's no wind up.

He's going to be banned. The Lions have very little chance without him.

If he is banned, he would have to be gutted. He would have missed possibly the 2 most important matches of his international career in the last couple of years due to suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He's gotta get a ban for that for me. It's in the range of lack if care rather than malicious intent, unlike the Pape case, and those ones can seem harsh. But the reality is swinging arm to head and concussion. No reprieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Buer wrote: »

I honestly won't be shocked if he does get suspended as bans can be something of a lottery but

I thought they were pretty consistent really - within their own rules, and it with the rules themselves, and in addition, changing rules and guidelines, that we spectators sometimes find ourselves disagreeing. But that is because we differ with the authorities on what should and should not be sanctioned, or our in our guess before the judgement of what it will be. But to be fair, I dont think they are a lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

He shouldn't get a ban for that. In his favour is that we clearly see Naholo giving him what is known in the trade as a "camel bite".

But seriously that is a bit of a nothing and I hope SOB is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think even if a penalty was given he'd be in a better place. The fact that a guy was concussed and there was no sanction regardless of how soft the incident is does not bode well.

Hearing at 9am this morning so we'll know soon. SBW outcome due shortly too. His hearing started at 6am.

Israel Dagg gave Stander a concussion last November and there was zero citing.

WR need to get some level of consistency going with this.

I thought they were pretty consistent really - within their own rules, and it with the rules themselves, and in addition, changing rules and guidelines, that we spectators sometimes find ourselves disagreeing. But that is because we differ with the authorities on what should and should not be sanctioned, or our in our guess before the judgement of what it will be. But to be fair, I dont think they are a lottery.

There is a huge degree of inconsistency in what is cited and what relative bans are handed out. There is a disparity between hemispheres, countries and competitions.

For example, there was as much force and recklessness in Conor Murray's high tackle yesterday as there was in SOB's effort. Both a lot of nothing but Naholo was hugely unfortunate that he ended up concussed from such an innocuous incident.

The fact is there was one Lions action that genuinely should 100% be cited from yesterday and it has been completely overlooked.

How a commissioner can the Vunipola clear out less worthy of sanction is bewildering.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote:
    Sonny Bill gets 4 weeks

Roughly what I expected. Can have no complaints and, if Watson failed his HIA, he'd have been looking at a few more weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I expect a ban for SOB with the duty of care to players coming more and more to the fore. I think he was completely blind as to where his hand was going in and was really unlucky, but he's caught Naholo with enough force to knock him out.

I expect a 1 week ban after all is said and done.

Massive loss if he is gone. He's been the outstanding player on tour IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Christ If SOB gets banned for that I'll be incensed. He's trying to hold the player up, aiming for the ball, he can't see the wingers head from that angle, he doesn't get a latch so it doesn't turn into a maul he disengages. Not a swinging arm at all. Not a red card.

If anything what he does to Retallik (neck roll) a moment later is worse!

.ak wrote: »
    Christ I'd SOB gets banned for that I'll be incensed. He's trying to hold the player up, aiming for the ball, he can't see the wingers head from that angle, he doesn't get a latch so it doesn't turn into a maul he disengages. Not a swinging arm at all. Not a red card.

If anything what he does to Retallik (neck roll) a moment later is worse!

I really don't think he was trying to hold him up. He was going for a rip, but in reality, can he reach in past the other lions player and get a rip in? It was an extremely low percentage play, which wasn't really needed. Very unlucky, but wouldn't be surprised if he gets a ban due it not being a first offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Basil3 wrote: »
    I really don't think he was trying to hold him up. He was going for a rip, but in reality, can he reach in past the other lions player and get a rip in? It was an extremely low percentage play, which wasn't really needed. Very unlucky, but wouldn't be surprised if he gets a ban due it not being a first offence.

For me he's trying to hold him up, it's a restart and one player is already trying to hold him up, based on SOBs body position (bent knees, straight back) he's trying to latch under the ball and hold him up to slow the ball down. He's not made a successful latch tho and I don't think he can see the players head so I really can't see how that's citable.

What Mako did was worse imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hope SBW either clears off back to Rugby League, takes up boxing full-time or just gets brought somewhere to sort his head out. His mental issues have been glossed over for very long time.

I think he's absolutely trying to hold him up. Doesn't matter what he was trying to do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He's in there a long time, how long does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think he's absolutely trying to hold him up. Doesn't matter what he was trying to do though.

He struck Naholo there, can see it clearly in the clip, 100% deserves a ban.
    No attempt to "hold up", rather it was a strike to try to dislodge the ball and accidentally though recklessly resulted in a strike to the head.
    Have to protect the players, don't want to see this type of foul go unpunished or it will creep into every maul.
    The suspensions handed out are a lottery but unfortunately this should get minimum 2 weeks.

Stander to 6, Warburton to 7, any one of POM/Haskell/Tipuric on the bench.

He's in there a long time, how long does it take?

The record (set by Sean O'Brien) is set at 9 hours over two days.

Many of the numbers above are made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

4 week ban received.
    Odd that it's the same as SBW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Was there contact with Noholo and 23 (?) knee after O'Brien shoved him out of the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

4 week ban received.
    Odd that it's the same as SBW

Source?

Was there contact with Noholo and 23 (?) knee after O'Brien shoved him out of the way?

I suspect that may have been the damaging impact.

radharc wrote:
    Source?

None. No way that hearing is done, dusted and press release in under two hours.

I suspect that may have been the damaging impact.

23 knee definitely met resistance from something coming forward

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

ThisRegard wrote: »
    One was a straight out red with the replay shown over and over. The other was not picked up by the ref during play, no replay that I remember, but suspected by a poster or two.

So no, not funny at all.

Like you said suspected by a poster or two but never further than that, the definition of something being kept quiet

23 knee definitely met resistance from something coming forward

Certainly throws the source of the injury into doubt for me. But I ain't on the judging panel. :(

None. No way that hearing is done, dusted and press release in under two hours.

Murray tweeted further details about SBW ban, maybe that is what confused the poster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Hope SBW either clears off back to Rugby League, takes up boxing full-time or just gets brought somewhere to sort his head out. His mental issues have been glossed over for very long time.

You havent a clue buddy, mental issuses because he does a dangerous tackle :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote:
    Like you said suspected by a poster or two but never further than that, the definition of something being kept quiet

You must not have received the PM from the mods about the cover up. You've gone and ruined it now.

Omerta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Long time since citing hearing began, that's usually a bad sign?

Completely normal amount of time so far. It's a proper hearing in front of legal professionals and World Rugby appointees. Statements, presentation of evidence/footage, witnesses (if applicable), defences, deliberation etc.

ongarite wrote: »

John Langford is weighing up his distaste for anything Leinster related against anything New Zealand related!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't read much into it, SBW probably pleaded guilty and accepted the 4 weeks cause it's a nothing ban so that was done quickly. SoB will be arguing that he did nothing wrong which will mean a discussion, then if it's decided he did something wrong a penalty will be decided, if it's decided that it was a sending off offence it'll be decided if a ban is warranted. I think every decision can be appealed immediately also.

Worth pointing out that the match commentators were incorrect, Hansen advised that Naholo passed the HIA and was kept off purely as a precaution.

radharc wrote: »
    Source?
    Murray Kinsella @Murray_Kinsella
    ·
    1h
    SBW's ban had an entry point of six weeks, but two shaved off for 'early admission, his disciplinary record, good character and remorse'.

·
    1h
    SBW's ban had an entry point of six weeks, but two shaved off for 'early admission, his disciplinary record, good character and remorse'.

SBW is Sonny Boy Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If SOB gets a ban I'll go mad. Agree with .ak that what Vunipola did was worse, and what Cane did last week was even worse than both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

·
    1h

?

Not SOB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've Sky Sports News on in the background here to get news ASAP, everything seems to be BREAKING NEWS, the latest was about a cricket match yesterday and hte ticket tape at the bottom of the screen is about a Bournemouth midfielder signing a 4 year contract.

**Hides keyboard, cries**
    Oops, misread! Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wow , what a nasty derogatory statement - do you know anything about the man ??
    had a wild time in his younger days - doesn't drink anymore , and that takes courage - he is a super athlete, stupid mistake yesterday , any way I'm moving on .

Hopefully SOB is not cited either, terribly unlucky if he is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

thebaz wrote: »
    wow , what a nasty derogatory statement - do you know anything about the man ??
    had a wild time in his younger days - doesn't drink anymore , and that takes courage - he is a super athlete, stupid mistake yesterday , any way I'm moving on .

Hopefully SOB is not cited either, terribly unlucky if he is .

SOB has been cited...its his innocence or guilt they are deciding at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

#FreetheLions1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

SOB citings always go on for hours. It takes several hours for 10 bouncers and an elephant to tie SOB down to a chair for the hearing.

**Hides keyboard, cries**
    Oops, misread! Sorry!

Get thee to a coffee pot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Bill

You're as bad! :)

Sonny Bill Williams

Had anyone had their coffee yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Peregrine wrote: »
    SOB citings always go on for hours. It takes several hours for 10 bouncers and an elephant to tie SOB down to a chair for the hearing.

The first 2 hours are for the tranquilliser dart to wear off

• Advertisement
Advertisement