Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process for connecting existing dwelling to water main

Options
  • 30-06-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Some of my family are thinking about changing their water supply from a private well to a connection to the local mains supply that now runs along their rural side road.

We've contacted the Water Dept of the Local authority, were told where the local water main was, got the form to apply for a connection + list of contractors approved to open the public road and were told the connection cost for an existing dwelling.

But neither Irish Water nor the local authority's are helpful in explaining the DETAILS for existing dwellings. I've contacted Irish Water but I hope that someone here has been through this and might be able to fill in some blanks.

We know:
    * We take care of the pipework inside the boundary.
    * The approved contractor takes care of the pipework on the public side.
    * There's no planning permission issue.

Questions:
    * I guess we engage the approved contractor on the public side, and pay them? (Hardly included in the Irish Water connection charge!)
    * I've seen references online to road opening licences, traffic management issues etc. Assuming these are still relevant, are we right in thinking that the approved contractor organises them?
    * Who joins the internal & external pipework?
    * The application must include a map. Is the map that accompanies the deeds ok for this? If not, what do people typically use and where do they get them (Ordnance Survey, other?)?

Anything else we need to know about? (Yeah, a loaded question.)

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re connecting the pipework get in contact with an approved contractor, who will do the connection to mains, install the meter and if you have the pipe laid ready he may do it for you, depends
    The map will be the same as the PP maps from OSI

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockc68

Thanks.

Advertisement