Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using eir_WiFi on F2000 modems

Options
  • 30-06-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Please ignore the character  wherever it appears. It was inserted by the editor and I cannot remove it

Earlier this year eir updated the firmware on F2000 modem/routers to provide a guest broadband service for eir customers by using SSID eir_WiFi on other customer's routerswhen away from home.

I've not been able to use the service and have spent a month trying to get somebody in eir to tell me how to access the service. Now I wonder if the service is actually working - is there anybody on this forum who can say they have used the eir_WiFi SSID on their home router or on somebody else's router ?

To date:
    • I registered an account to use eir_WiFi on the My eir portal,
    • I tried to connect from 2 devices - an Android phone and an Android tablet -
    • I chatted online with a number of eir agents
    • I spoke with eir broadband support
    • I tested outside other eir customers houses out of range of my router to access their eir_WiFi networks because some eir agents told me that I would not be able to test the connection on the F2000 router in my own house
    • I visited an eir store where the SSID eir_WiFi was available and tried using my devices and the store assistant's phone
    [*]

Few of the eir people I spoke with understood the concept of eir_WiFi - the last person I spoke with wondered if the facility had been rolled out in a rush and maybe was not even working yet. 

Description of the service
    https://www.eirmobile.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir_wifi_terms_and_conditions.pdf ;

"eir WiFi is a service that allows eir customers to access the internet over WiFi at other eir Fibre customersâ„¢ homes, using a portion of their Fibre broadband capacity, using a second Service Set Identifier (SSID)."

Guest Customer 
    • eir WiFi is a free Wi-Fi service applicable to all compatible eir customers* 
    • Customers can connect as a Guest to the internet seamlessly to other Host eir Fibre modems when within WiFi reach of that modem
    • Customer can register for and avail of the eir WiFi service via the My eir portal 
    • A maximum of 5 devices can use a single one eir WiFi user name and password to access the internet simultaneously via one or more Host customers modem
    • 3MB Download and 1MB upload bandwidth is available for Guest users. This is the total aggregate allocation of upload and download broadband width across all guest customers i.e. not per Guest
    [*]

*eir customers who operate devices that support native 802.1x/EAP-PEAP authentication can be used for Guest WiFi

Guest FAQs  http://support.eir.ie/bb/faqeirwifi

[font=eir-medium-web, "Arial Medium"]How do I register for eir WiFi Guest service?[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]You can register for eir WiFi Guest service via My eir portal[/font]

[font=eir-medium-web, "Arial Medium"]How do I connect to eir WiFi service?[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Follow these 3 steps to connect to eir WiFi:
    [/font]
    1. Search for available wireless networks on your device
    2. Select 'eir WiFi' network from the list
    3. When prompted enter eir WiFi Guest username and password.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

pg17 wrote: »
    Please ignore the character  wherever it appears. It was inserted by the editor and I cannot remove it

Earlier this year eir updated the firmware on F2000 modem/routers to provide a guest broadband service for eir customers by using SSID eir_WiFi on other customer's routerswhen away from home.

I've not been able to use the service and have spent a month trying to get somebody in eir to tell me how to access the service. Now I wonder if the service is actually working - is there anybody on this forum who can say they have used the eir_WiFi SSID on their home router or on somebody else's router ?

To date:
    • I tested outside other eir customers houses out of range of my router to access their eir_WiFi networks because some eir agents told me that I would not be able to test the connection on the F2000 router in my own house
    • I visited an eir store where the SSID eir_WiFi was available and tried using my devices and the store assistant's phone

[*]

Few of the eir people I spoke with understood the concept of eir_WiFi - the last person I spoke with wondered if the facility had been rolled out in a rush and maybe was not even working yet. 

https://www.eirmobile.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir_wifi_terms_and_conditions.pdf ;

"eir WiFi is a service that allows eir customers to access the internet over WiFi at other eir Fibre customersâ„¢ homes, using a portion of their Fibre broadband capacity, using a second Service Set Identifier (SSID)."

Guest Customer 
    • Customers can connect as a Guest to the internet seamlessly to other Host eir Fibre modems when within WiFi reach of that modem
    • Customer can register for and avail of the eir WiFi service via the My eir portal 
    • A maximum of 5 devices can use a single one eir WiFi user name and password to access the internet simultaneously via one or more Host customers modem
    • 3MB Download and 1MB upload bandwidth is available for Guest users. This is the total aggregate allocation of upload and download broadband width across all guest customers i.e. not per Guest

[*]

*eir customers who operate devices that support native 802.1x/EAP-PEAP authentication can be used for Guest WiFi

[font=eir-medium-web,]How do I register for eir WiFi Guest service?[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]You can register for eir WiFi Guest service via My eir portal[/font]

[font=eir-medium-web,]How do I connect to eir WiFi service?[/font]
    [/font]
    • Search for available wireless networks on your device
    • Select 'eir WiFi' network from the list
    • When prompted enter eir WiFi Guest username and password.

[*]
    Yes - I use the service all the time - no issues.

I just registered on MyEir and got a username and password and put this into my mobile devices.

If you already have access to any routers Host SSID, then Host access will override Guest access on that particular modem. This is why you cant use guest access at home. Perhaps you were trying to test it on routers you already had access to? This is a reasonable policy, as Host access gives you the full Fibre bandwidth whereas Guest access is limited.

I find Guest WiFi particularly useful on Tablets as I already have lashings of Data allowance on my eir Mobile that I never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

[*]Yes - I use the service all the time - no issues.

I just registered on MyEir and got a username and password and put this into my mobile devices.

If you already have access to any routers Host SSID, then Host access will override Guest access on that particular modem. This is why you cant use guest access at home. Perhaps you were trying to test it on routers you already had access to? This is a reasonable policy, as Host access gives you the full Fibre bandwidth whereas Guest access is limited.

I find Guest WiFi particularly useful on Tablets as I already have lashings of Data allowance on my eir Mobile that I never use.
    [*]

Thanks babelfish1990 - that is encouraging - 

I tested on routers where I do not have access to the main SSID but could not get access to eir_WiFi on these routers

Can I ask how you entered the user name and password - 

• on some devices there is a setting "EAP method" which defaults to the value SIM while the other possible values for the setting are PEAP, TLS, TTLS, PWD and AKA 
    • some devices assume PEAP and these ask for a user name and password. 
    [*]

I tried all possible combinations with no success. Did you have to use these settings - what type of dialog did you get to enter the user name and password ? 

Am I correct in thinking you use the user name and password you set in the Guest Access Section of the Myeir portal ?

Thanks for your help.

[*]

I tested on routers where I do not have access to the main SSID but could not get access to eir_WiFi on these routers

• on some devices there is a setting "EAP method" which defaults to the value SIM while the other possible values for the setting are PEAP, TLS, TTLS, PWD and AKA 

[*]

I tried all possible combinations with no success. Did you have to use these settings - what type of dialog did you get to enter the user name and password ? 

Am I correct in thinking you use the user name and password you set in the Guest Access Section of the Myeir portal ?

Thanks for your help.
    [*]
    My Android devices simply asked for a username and password when I tried to connect to eir_WiFi for the first time.  I entered the username and password that I had obtained when I registered on MyEir.   This form of WiFi authentication with Username and Password is called PEAP.   

I also got it working on my Windows laptop.  However, configuring PEAP in Windows is much harder than Android.   Fortunately, I had come across PEAP before in other countries, so I knew how to set it up in Windows.  If you need help with Windows, I can give you further info.  

[*]

[*]

Thanks for your help.
    [*]
    Maybe the password you have chosen is an illegal PEAP format in Android?  Sometimes the rules about allowable characters in passwords can vary between different OS's.  I would stick to uppercase/lowercase letters and digits - maybe avoid special characters like hyphens? 

[*]
    My Android devices simply asked for a username and password when I tried to connect to eir_WiFi for the first time.  I entered the username and password that I had obtained when I registered on MyEir.   This form of WiFi authentication with Username and Password is called PEAP.   

I also got it working on my Windows laptop.  However, configuring PEAP in Windows is much harder than Android.   Fortunately, I had come across PEAP before in other countries, so I knew how to set it up in Windows.  If you need help with Windows, I can give you further info.  
    [*]
    I'll keep on trying with the Android and then try Windows if I get Android working (it is much harder to bring the laptop and stand on the street to configure and test) 

On my phone PEAP has these settings
    • Phase 2 authentication > None (can be set to None, MSCHAPV2 or GTC)
    • CA certificate (unspecified)
    • Identity - this is where I enter the username

• Anonymous identity - I leave this blank

• Password - I enter the password I set in the portal
    [*]

Advnced settings are 
    • Proxy > None 
    • IP Settings> DHCP
    [*]

Are your settings similar ?   Do you see anything I should change in the above ?

Today, I deleted my Guest account on the portal and will start over again tomorrow after waiting 24 hours. 
    This was advised by eir an few weeks ago - I did it then and am repeating now just in case it helps. 

• Advertisement

[*]
    I'll keep on trying with the Android and then try Windows if I get Android working (it is much harder to bring the laptop and stand on the street to configure and test) 

On my phone PEAP has these settings
    • Phase 2 authentication > None (can be set to None, MSCHAPV2 or GTC)
    • CA certificate (unspecified)
    • Identity - this is where I enter the username

• Anonymous identity - I leave this blank

• Password - I enter the password I set in the portal

[*]

Advnced settings are 
    • Proxy > None 
    • IP Settings> DHCP

[*]

Are your settings similar ?   Do you see anything I should change in the above ?

Today, I deleted my Guest account on the portal and will start over again tomorrow after waiting 24 hours. 
    This was advised by eir an few weeks ago - I did it then and am repeating now just in case it helps. 
    [*]
    Those settings look ok to me.  I would say you have a problem with your password.  Reset your password to something simple with just Uppercase & lowercase letters and numbers.  Did you have any special characters or spaces in your password?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Works without a bother for me. Problem is it tends to be a weaker signal and my phone tends to prefer it to my actual home network, so I get stuck with slow speeds until I turn WIFI off and on.

[*]Are your settings similar ?   Do you see anything I should change in the above ?

[*]
    Those settings look ok to me.  I would say you have a problem with your password.  Reset your password to something simple with just Uppercase & lowercase letters and numbers.  Did you have any special characters or spaces in your password?
    [*]
    I user just lower case and numbers for the account and password - I'll remove the numbers from the account name. 

You have given me an idea - I saw another application where I set the password with lower case but had to enter it with the first letter as a capital when signing on - I'll give that a try when I recreate the account. 

TheChizler wrote: »
    Works without a bother for me. Problem is it tends to be a weaker signal and my phone tends to prefer it to my actual home network, so I get stuck with slow speeds until I turn WIFI off and on.
    That doesn't make sense.  Your home router shouldn't allow you Guest access at home.  Also, the Host and Guest WiFi from your own router should be exactly the same strength.  What might be happening is that you are guesting on a Neighbour's router.  This can happen if part of your house (eg an extension out the back) is nearer to your neighbour's router than to your own.  Android is very poor at moving to stronger WiFi when you move into it, and it clings on to the first signal that you attach to.  If you attach to your neighbours WiFi when you are in the extension, you could move back into the main house and stay attached you your neighbour.   If this is happening, the best solution would be to use Home-plugs or meshed WiFi extenders (like Google WiFi or Orbi) to give yourself really strong WiFi throughout the house.  A cheaper solution might be to ask your neighbour if you can temporarily have access to his Host SSID.  Once his modem captures your MAC addresses, it will blacklist you from Guest access.   You can then "forget" his SSID, and you should be prevented from accidentally guesting on his network.   

TheChizler wrote: »
    Can I ask you if you are able to use eir_WiFi on the eir router in your house  ?

Some eir people told me you can eir router in your house and other eir people said you can only use another customer's router - obviously testing at home is easier than going out on the street to get out of range of the home router and finding the eir_WiFi from somebody else's router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

[*]

[*]

Thanks for your help.

[*]

[*]
    Hi, Would really appreciate settings for PEAP in windows 10 laptop

Thanks

Confirmed with a wifi analyser app that the signal from my gateway was what my phone was joining. MAC address was only one number different to my own network. Maybe when it was a weaker signal it was on a neighbours but I don't recall seeing more than one eir_wifi in the app.

Edit: come to think of it I was only checking cause I had trouble with internet access so maybe it was just taking ages to fail authentication.

hazchem wrote: »

[*]

Thanks
    [*]
    You will find numerous guides on-line for setting up PEAP.  It is quite common in campus type environments such as Universities.  Here is an example.   

http://www.fairmontstate.edu/it/sites/default/files/Windows%2010%20Wifi%20Turorial.pdf

When you get to Step 18, replace the student username & password with the Eir_WiFi username and password that you have registered/

[*]

Thanks

[*]
    You will find numerous guides on-line for setting up PEAP.  It is quite common in campus type environments such as Universities.  Here is an example.   

http://www.fairmontstate.edu/it/sites/default/files/Windows%2010%20Wifi%20Turorial.pdf

When you get to Step 18, replace the student username & password with the Eir_WiFi username and password that you have registered/
    [*]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for the link I had already followed one of those tutorials but with no success will try again if it worked for you it should work for me.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]W[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]hat really put me off was statement in EIR'S terms and conditions of use was the following "Computers and laptop running Windows Operating System are not supported"[/font]

[*]

Thanks

[*]

[*]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for the link I had already followed one of those tutorials but with no success will try again if it worked for you it should work for me.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]W[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]hat really put me off was statement in EIR'S terms and conditions of use was the following "Computers and laptop running Windows Operating System are not supported"[/font]
    [*]
    The procedure for setting up PEAP in Windows is quite arduous, and probably beyond the capability of many users.  I suspect this is why they don't officially support it.  It works perfectly on eir_WiFi once you have it set up.   I find eir_WiFi very useful on Android tablets and laptop.   I don't really use it on my mobile, as I always have spare data with eir-Mobile. Using eir_WiFi avoids the need to tether the tablets or laptop.  

[*]

Thanks

[*]

[*]

I'm starting over by deleting and re-creating my Guest account - I'll then try with Android and follow up by using the guide for windows. Thanks for posting it.

Yesterday, I deleted my Guest WiFI account and created a new one today and waited an hour as advised on the eir portal.

I tested on a eir_WiFi network well out of wifi range of my house entering the user name and password very carefully 
    • on Android - I got a message Incorrect Password (which may be a catch all text) anyway it failed to connect
    • I then configured Windows 10 for PEAP according to the guide mentioned above - I had no issues with setting the configuration - Windows gave me a failure message with words like "Cannot connect to this network"
    [*]

Is seems I am destined not to be able to use the eir_WiFi guest function  .......  

Any comments  ....  ?

Figured out my own issue. Turns out there's another eir_WiFi at the entrance to my park which my phone is latching on to whenever I come home. I was misreading the analyser app, was thinking I was connected to the SSID displayed at the top of the tree which is my own AP's public SSID, but it's actually the strongest in the list. Must see if there is some automation app that will automatically switch to my own network if it's in range.

421352.jpg

[*]

Thanks

[*]

[*]

[*]
    The procedure for setting up PEAP in Windows is quite arduous, and probably beyond the capability of many users.  I suspect this is why they don't officially support it.  It works perfectly on eir_WiFi once you have it set up.   I find eir_WiFi very useful on Android tablets and laptop.   I don't really use it on my mobile, as I always have spare data with eir-Mobile. Using eir_WiFi avoids the need to tether the tablets or laptop.  
    [*]
    Update folowed tutotial posted above worked like charm on a windows 10 laptop Thanks again babelfish1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

To date:

[*]

Guest Customer 

[*]

[font=eir-medium-web,]How do I register for eir WiFi Guest service?[/font]

[font=eir-medium-web,]How do I connect to eir WiFi service?[/font]
    [/font]
    • Search for available wireless networks on your device
    • Select 'eir WiFi' network from the list
    • When prompted enter eir WiFi Guest username and password.

[*]
    Hi pg17,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm very sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing trying to use our EiFi service. Can you PM me your account number and full name please? 

- Adam

• Advertisement

eir: Adam wrote: »
    [*]
    Hi pg17,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm very sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing trying to use our EiFi service. Can you PM me your account number and full name please? 

- Adam
    [*]
    PM sent to Adam followed by an update in another PM 

[*]
    Hi pg17,

- Adam

[*]
    [*]
    Thanks for that. I'll go through my PM's today and I'll be back in touch with an update for you.

- Adam

[*]
    Hi pg17,

- Adam

[*]

[*]
    Thanks for that. I'll go through my PM's today and I'll be back in touch with an update for you.

- Adam
    [*]
    Adam - It has been a week since I sent you the PM - do you have any update for me ? I would like to test again on Wednesday. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Unfortunately, Adam is currently on annual leave.

Can you please forward me your PM and I will follow this up for you?

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks,
    Anna

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Adam is currently on annual leave.

Can you please forward me your PM and I will follow this up for you?

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks,
    Anna

Hello Anna, I've been away and unable to follow-up until now - is Adam back from leave ? Should I PM him again or to PM you ? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

If you PM me your details I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks, 
    Anna 

Thanks, 
    Anna 
    Anna - I PMed you my details and a summary of the issue and the actions I took to connect to eir_WiFi

Thanks, 
    Anna 
    Anna - I PMed you my details and a summary of the issue and the actions I took to connect to eir_WiFi

Hello again Anna - I PMed you on July 21 (almost 2 weeks ago) but have heard nothing since then - do you have any news for me on this issue ? 

Thanks, 
    Anna 

Hello again Anna - I PMed you on July 21 (almost 2 weeks ago) but have heard nothing since then - do you have any news for me on this issue ? 
    Hi,

I'm afraid Anna is no longer with the company so this is why you haven't heard back about this. I do apologise for this. Is this still in relation to WiFi issue?

- Adam

• Advertisement

Thanks, 
    Anna 

Hi,

I'm afraid Anna is no longer with the company so this is why you haven't heard back about this. I do apologise for this. Is this still in relation to WiFi issue?

- Adam
    Hello Adam - yes it is still an issue with no progress since I first raised it on June 30. I send you 2 PMs before your annual leave, on 03-07-2017 at 17:07 and at 18:24 and PMed Anna on with the same information on 21-07-2017. I'll send you a PM now which will combine the two messages in one. 

Advertisement