Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reddit or Boards?

Comments

Pretty funny to see everyone claiming boards is great for conversation when my last thread got no replies.

A light topic gets fek all attention compared to misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Pretty funny to see everyone claiming boards is great for conversation when my last thread got no replies.

A light topic gets fek all attention compared to misery.

DOWNVOTE

Patww79 wrote: »

That's the obvious answer, but if there isn't a single poster on After Hours who has an opinion on, or watches vlogs, then the conversation here is pretty limited.

Now, I know that that sort of thread won't get past a few pages but the fact no one replied is a bad sign. I have a whole array of things I'm interested in that seemingly aren't "good enough" for After Hours because this place has clearly changed so much.

I could go and recreate threads I started a decade ago to prove my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Maybe it wasn't a good thread?

That's the obvious answer, but if there isn't a single poster on After Hours who has an opinion on, or watches vlogs, then the conversation here is pretty limited.

Now, I know that that sort of thread won't get past a few pages but the fact no one replied is a bad sign. I have a whole array of things I'm interested in that seemingly aren't "good enough" for After Hours because this place has clearly changed so much.

I could go and recreate threads I started a decade ago to prove my point.
    I've created a sensible post on Reddit with zero responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I use both but I've come to much prefer Reddit and I say that as someone who used Boards for a good few years before coming across Reddit. I initially didn't like Reddit's layout and also felt it was all over the gaff but after using it a bit you realise it's much better being able to just skip past stuff you don't want to see, unlike here having to trawl through pages of junk.
    Reddit has a more easy going feel to it, most of the subs I frequent anyway the posters are more supportive and friendly. Most threads here mostly descend into petty arguments and bitterness.
    Some of the AskReddit stuff is brilliant, creative and insightful which usually involves people sharing funny/crazy experiences whereas here it's generally the old "what would you do if you won the lotto?" type dullness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've been using Reddit for a couple of years now and never dipped into AskReddit before this thread, it's fantastic. The variety of very large, enjoyable forums over there is amazing really.

RedTie wrote: »
    But it's much more aimed at today's busy lifestyles. Who really has time to wade through 40 pages of posts anymore when all you have time for is the good stuff?
    Sounds like the perfect storm for an echo chamber.

I hate that you have to open links to pictures on Reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

I find the reddit layout terrible so I have to go with boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

764dak wrote: »
    I hate that you have to open links to pictures on Reddit.

No you don't, simply use hoverfree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

764dak wrote:
    Companies manipulate Reddit.

....and this is a surprise! The internet is awash with manipulation, it's called marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Mandela Effect forum on Reddit is a good laugh. Apart from that I don't really get the appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I went for Reddit.
    The main reason being forums I used to like to post in like Politics are now being dominated by Mods who like to become part of the story. And their sensibilities are such that its like walking on eggshells if you have a differing opinion to them.
    Politics Café mark 2 is a crazy one to work out. Its currently an echo chamber now, because all the interesting guys are either banned or couldn't be assed to re-apply. They keep trying to revitalize it by bringing over threads from this After Hours forum.
    The idea that Politics Café mark 2 is hands off is contradicted by the vetting process to get in and an assurance that the ban hammer is always over your head, but as there aren't specific rules, you can't be quite sure when it's going to come down.
    Reddit is the biz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I went for Reddit.
    The main reason being forums I used to like to post in like Politics are now being dominated by Mods who like to become part of the story. And their sensibilities are such that its like walking on eggshells if you have a differing opinion to them.
    Politics Café mark 2 is a crazy one to work out. Its currently an echo chamber now, because all the interesting guys are either banned or couldn't be assed to re-apply. They keep trying to revitalize it by bringing over threads from this After Hours forum.
    The idea that Politics Café mark 2 is hands off is contradicted by the vetting process to get in and an assurance that the ban hammer is always over your head, but as there aren't specific rules, you can't be quite sure when it's going to come down.
    Reddit is the biz.

It was meant to be a political output for AH. But I tried to reply to something on PC2 once and noticed a need to apply for access. Completely against the point. if it was too much work for moderators it should have been killed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Reddit ain't easy on the eyes imo. Prefer this structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It was meant to be a political output for AH. But I tried to reply to something on PC2 once and noticed a need to apply for access. Completely against the point. if it was too much work for moderators it should have been killed off.

Yeah, but killing off a once premium user forum like Politics Café (which they essentially have done) is like cutting off one of your arms. Forums like this survive on click-count, and that's a lot of click-count gone forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Nothing to do with the thread but I was on Spotify not 2 hours ago looking for a song, and a search brought back a band called 10000 maniacs. I thought, that's a cool and odd band name and continued about my business.

And now I see your username. :cool:

Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

OP now prefers Reddit anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Thread on Netflix is a good documentary. It's about a forum that Reddit users created to do their own investigation into finding the Boston marathon bombers.

It shows how crazy Reddit users can get. And it shows what can happen if a forum has really shitty moderators that have no clue what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I do like Boards, have been an user for 12 years but sometimes the heavy moderation and censorship here can be off putting. Yes moderation is important to maintain some order but I have noticed in recent years entire thread being deleted.

I find myself using Reddit more now but would still prefer Boards especially if the owners make it more open and returned to the old days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was searching Reddit for discussion on the sordid Hollywood Harvey Weinstein scandal and there was, to my surprise, only a couple of threads and half the comments on these were modded/edited out. Looks like Reddit is under the thumb of something that has warned them not to discuss the scandal.

Or maybe I was navigating it wrongly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Reddit is so huge and sprawling, with all those sub-reddits everywhere, navigation is a pain. I just can't get into it even though I hear people going on and on about how great it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

RedTie wrote: »
    Old style linear conversation is very 5-10 years ago.

In fairness, would you rather watch the match live or watch match of the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Boards of course

Reddit is so huge and sprawling, with all those sub-reddits everywhere, navigation is a pain. I just can't get into it even though I hear people going on and on about how great it is.

The idea is that you subscribe to those subs and then just browse your front page.. Then there's no navigation apart from going in and out of threads.

• Advertisement

Most people go between /r/all and their own front page, or use Google to find a sub they think they might be interested in.

I spend most of my time on /r/all and am constantly filtering out subs I'm not interested in and subbing to things I like.

So after a while, /r/all is also like a front page because all the nonsense is gone and you get exposed to everything on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Most people go between /r/all and their own front page, or use Google to find a sub they think they might be interested in.

I spend most of my time on /r/all and am constantly filtering out subs I'm not interested in and subbing to things I like.

So after a while, /r/all is also like a front page because all the nonsense is gone and you get exposed to everything on the site.

I think Reddit Ireland is either controlled by Sinn Fein or the Labour Party/ AAA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wish they didn't auto sub you to so much at the start, maybe give you suggested list first and let you pick the ones you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I prefer reddit, but I've been trying to keep an eye on myself for how often i spend on it daily. Kind of worrying when a single site dominates your browsing to the point of being almost a one stop shop.
    This is also concerning:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Boards is a lot better for niche discussion, information, advice, guidance I find. You don't even need to start a thread to find what you're looking for if you look hard enough.

Reddit is a lot more casual though. I find you're really walking on egg shells with a lot of posters on certain forums here. A lot of posters could do with lightening up !

• Advertisement

I prefer reddit, but I've been trying to keep an eye on myself for how often i spend on it daily. Kind of worrying when a single site dominates your browsing to the point of being almost a one stop shop.
    This is also concerning:

There is a nice thread here too https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/4gd62u/35_of_reddit_submissions_have_1_upvote_oc/ on how by quickly upvoting and quickly downvoting you can push your content to the top quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The two Reddit moderators on that video were quite insightful and very open, honest and realistic about the matter, but the official response from Reddit was... well, jarring really. The 'fake story' bit in particular, what the **** was that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If you tried to have a conversation with someone in real life in the format of a Reddit thread you'd be sectioned

anna080 wrote: »
    If you tried to have a conversation with someone in real life in the format of a Reddit thread you'd be sectioned

It actually makes having a conversation quite easy when you are writing it though, you can see the whole thread right there. I also get reply notifications which is great, on a fast moving Boards thread it can be hard to tell if someone replied or not, especially with the dodginess of the 'posts that quote you' function

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Prefer reading things on reddit, easier to find and a lot more content.

Boards for posting, I don't have a reddit account but it looks very difficult to get your post noticed.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Prefer reading things on reddit, easier to find and a lot more content.

Boards for posting, I don't have a reddit account but it looks very difficult to get your post noticed.

According to the reddit thread I posted earlier 35% of posts have a single upvote, the auto one, so most likely they are never read

anna080 wrote: »

It's the exact opposite :confused:

Reddit is a bunch of small conversations about a topic. Boards is one big room full of people shouting at the same time.

Reddit is far more like real life conversation.

Here is what a lot of you seem to be missing.. This is a single conversation on Reddit, formatted so it's easier for you to see what's happening. That conversation branched off a few times based on other people's replies but you can't see that in the link.

That's what I think confuses people so much.. There are many conversations, and many branches of conversations, but every single one of them is chronological and goes from start to finish. Just because the various branches of conversations aren't chronological doesn't mean the conversations within them aren't.

Seriously, if you want to come back at me with "not chronological", please explain that you understand what that means.

You say real conversations go in chronological order.. I've never sat in a bar and waited for someone in the other corner to add his input. That's what boards.ie is. Reddit is you chatting with your mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Reddit is a bit too USA based for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Considering its worldwide userbase, posts from all over the world and forums for every country you can think of, that is a bizarre statement.

Here's a sub for Vanuatu FFS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vanuatu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Four Winds wrote:
    Here's a sub for Vanuatu FFS.

Excellent, was there years ago, stunning place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Also, you can talk about some things you could possibly get sued about (Harvey Weinstein etc), but not others:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798043

Don't see this type of boll0x on Reddit.

Make your f*cking minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Reddit by far.

I don't understand how some people have trouble with the format of the conversations it's piss easy to figure out.

Some of the funniest material I've seen on the internet has been through Reddit.
    /r/YoutubeHaiku/ and /r/ContageousLaughter/ and /r/PeopleFuckingDying/ when sorted by top of all time could keep me entertained for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MillField

As most people are saying here, Reddit is great but too hard to follow and too messy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement