Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reddit or Boards?

Comments

Reddit by far.

I don't understand how some people have trouble with the format of the conversations it's piss easy to figure out.

Some of the funniest material I've seen on the internet has been through Reddit.
    /r/YoutubeHaiku/ and /r/ContageousLaughter/ and /r/PeopleFuckingDying/ when sorted by top of all time could keep me entertained for days.

In a similar vein, /r/PlayItAgainSam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Four Winds wrote: »
    Also, you can talk about some things you could possibly get sued about (Harvey Weinstein etc), but not others:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798043

Don't see this type of boll0x on Reddit.

Make your f*cking minds.

Boards could get around this by moving their servers to Iran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You say real conversations go in chronological order.. I've never sat in a bar and waited for someone in the other corner to add his input. That's what boards.ie is. Reddit is you chatting with your mates.

Reddit is talking over each other.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Four Winds wrote: »
    Also, you can talk about some things you could possibly get sued about (Harvey Weinstein etc), but not others:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798043

Don't see this type of boll0x on Reddit.

Make your f*cking minds.

Mod: Feel free to report any threads you feel which possibly break Irish libel laws.

Complaining about mod decisions on-thread creates clutter. If you have an issue, PM the mod in question or a CMod

Reddit is talking over each other.

I'll link to this since you're mod of Rugby League.. If this is what you call people talking over each other, I'm not gonna convince you otherwise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/76vxef/the_footy_show_has_been_axed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Reddit is a bit too USA based for me

There are some UK contributors as well

I'll link to this since you're mod of Rugby League.. If this is what you call people talking over each other, I'm not gonna convince you otherwise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/76vxef/the_footy_show_has_been_axed/

I will continue to use reddit, as I have done, including that sub, but no, you're right, you aren't going to convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I never "got" Reddit for ages and like others have said, I found it just a mess to keep track of things, but then I decided to try and figure it out, installed the Reddit Enhancement Suite on the laptop, changed the theme and set the sort order to "old" as default and then it mostly reads like a somewhat messier Boards.
    Using the Boost app on my phone and it's better again. The biggest hurdle I find is finding/knowing what subreddits there are for things (as bad as the menu structure here became, it still - mostly - does its job)

It's definitely more trafficked than Boards is these days. The Ireland sub is like a much busier AH. At this stage I alternate pretty much 70/30 in favour of Boards, but I can see that shifting over time TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

If you go to the Ireland subreddit, Boards.ie seems to be a dirty word. It's like a lot of them are disgruntled ex-users of Boards who got in an argument with someone and was then angry after a mod banned them for repeatedly using choice directed words. And I like the Irish subreddit quite a bit, but it's not got anywhere near the amount of Ireland specific content as Boards does due to the numbers using it. So, it's a losing proposition for those who got the hump and chose r/Ireland entirely over Boards.

But Reddit, overall, has a far greater scope of content. Not always a fan of the voting system, though. Sometimes you can get a wickedly funny or incredibly insightful comment that rises to the top, but other times you can get a comment that gets buried not because it's disrespectful or lacking substance, but just because it goes against the prevailing opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I'm far more inclined to contribute on Boards - the chaotic nature of Reddit means that it seems to be all said before I know the thread exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Storm O Feel Ya

I think there is more of sense of community on Boards. Also I think I'm banned from Reddit, I've a karma score of minus 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Mod: Feel free to report any threads you feel which possibly break Irish libel laws.

Complaining about mod decisions on-thread creates clutter. If you have an issue, PM the mod in question or a CMod

Will do in future. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The reddit app is quite good layout tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

boards have good sub forums for stuff like auto/mechanics bargains, reddit is free for all to discuss whatever they want little censorship there and def no mods taking sides or interrupting discussions to take sides because they can ban someone who think they disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Started browsing it again the past few days out of curiosity, still no account either and still the same as I remember from a while back. Too much of a circlejerk in most general forums, I've seen people get downvoted to oblivion for having a logical thought that doesn't follow the sheep. The only one I can be bothered with looking at now is AskReddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

entropi wrote: »
    Started browsing it again the past few days out of curiosity, still no account either and still the same as I remember from a while back. Too much of a circlejerk in most general forums, I've seen people get downvoted to oblivion for having a logical thought that doesn't follow the sheep. The only one I can be bothered with looking at now is AskReddit.

Default subs are just a massive circle jerk though and some "insider" jokes that aren't even remotely amusing. Reddit is what you make it into for your self :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

People use too many memes on Reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'll confess I've never been on reddit. Think I won't bother. Energy draining.
    I'll stick with what I know. Boards can be a pain sometimes but I read the occasional respo we and laugh out loud. So not too shabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I think boards main advantage compared to Reddit is that a wider range of opinions can be heard and it's less open to advocacy/astro-turfing and brigading e.g one forum is dominated by share like the other by the_donald.

However seeing a certain boards thread today and the resulting threads in the (castrated) feedback it's pretty clear that functionally the result is the same.
    Soapboxing and threads that forwards the self selecting group of admins and mods views are protected, counter point or equivalent threads are deleted or warned off.

At this stage who will be sorry when boards dies?Those that are part of the "in" group are members of private/hosted forums (that can migrate fairly easily) and facebook groups anyway.
    Those in the out group can use digital spy, peoples republic and a bunch of smaller forums, voat or Reddit and it's not like it was a warm place anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

One thing I have noticed recently in boards is that mods, cat mods, admins seem to be more often visible directly in discussions on forums they moderate.

This is probably due to falling usage as this was always the case of small forums but it's a issue that's becoming more and more prominent on (what used to be) the busy parts.

One of the worst things I've seen on boards was the "It's okay to be white." thread getting deleted.. Not even locked, just gone instead.

The thread was a conversation about those signs being left on public notice boards and people's massive overreaction to them.

I messaged a mod asking about it but got no reply. My last thread about some else in feedback never even got approved.

I guess boards is doing their mighty best to save their dying site by spanking money on crap themes and deleting non-PC threads.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3YBCZBslwtUJ:https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057804204+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=vn&client=ms-android-xiaomi

Patww79 wrote: »
    Some of the moderation here is absolutely ridiculous. Shutting down all forms of feedback and building a wall between them and the users was a fairly genius move when you think about it though. Don't like to be questioned or criticised? Don't allow anyone to do it.

To be fair Feedback got hijacked by rereg loopers, it was a complete mess and no actual feedback happened. I thought the simple answer would be just have minimum post count of 30 or something before feedback then have it as it was. The way it is now is pointless, very hard to leave meaningful feedback.

Since this is supposed to be about reddit or boards, what means of any feedback does reddit or facebook offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate reddit. Just can't get to grips with the format.

I much prefer Boards and the old school vbulletin lay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I go to Reddit when I'm bored and want to kill some time reading crap, or maybe stumble across something interesting by accident. I don't have an account there, and I've never posted. I come to Boards when I actually need information about something specific, and for the sense of community here. Boards is certainly more useful to me than Reddit overall— I have Boards open in a tab most of the time, whereas I might spend a half hour on Reddit every other day when I've nothing better to do.

On the downside: certain forums are grossly over-moderated. There are two or three forums that are so resistant to allowing dissenting opinions that if they're the home of a thread, I'll no longer even open it, no matter how interesting it looks. There's no point; it'll be ten or fifteen variations of the same comment following the party line, and anything else will be deleted or carded for, no matter how politely expressed the opinion. I think for a discussion forum, that's extremely counter-productive, and I'd love to see the admins/C-Mods stamp out that attitude.

The positives outweigh this, though, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I love the ability to interact with companies like Vodafone and Virgin, and I've had way better experiences here than trying to contact companies via other avenues. I love that posters have anonymity, unlike Facebook, and that posts are still chronological, unlike Reddit. I appreciate that the admins have taken on board the comments about the legacy site and have committed to maintaining it. I like that variety of opinion is (mainly) permitted, but that personal attacks and trolling aren't tolerated. My inner pedant also really appreciates the ban on text speak, and how posters generally make an effort to write coherently.

There's a lot to like about Boards. I just hope the admins realise that people don't come here looking for a FB or Reddit clone, and continue to allow it to be something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair Feedback got hijacked by rereg loopers, it was a complete mess and no actual feedback happened. I thought the simple answer would be just have minimum post count of 30 or something before feedback then have it as it was. The way it is now is pointless, very hard to leave meaningful feedback.

Since this is supposed to be about reddit or boards, what means of any feedback does reddit or facebook offer?

I know I got a post deleted off reddit before because I posted something I wasn't aware was against their TOS about accessing MS Windows 10 for free via their 'evaluation mode' (an official mode with a watermark in the corner). I messaged the mod back to query why it was, got a firm but polite and prompt response, two exchanges later and I was in complete agreement with them that they should have deleted it. To be fair, over here on boards I've had some exchanges with mods that ranged from pleasant to quite standoff-ish, but typically reached resolution.

However there is one particularly nasty little piece of work in one of the forums I frequent most who has basically told me over PM that they look to card me where they wouldn't others if the opportunity ever arises for them and have given me infractions before for reasons they could not justify, claiming I was purposely claiming the charter said things it didn't and point blank refusing to answer when I quoted the exact sentence and asked what else it was supposed to mean.

Seeing the carry on in the feedback forums etc, like the vast majority it's just not worth the bother - and that mod is well aware of it. That, in my opinion, is the type of thing that has left a very bitter taste in the mouth for many, and that mod as well as others like him, is a big reason why boards traffic and post counts have plummeted so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was very loyal to Boards until my one & only experience of the "moderation" procedure. I had this weird idea that Boards were fair & reasonable. But it became obvious that you have no chance if you reasonably question our overlords. Despite what the Admins says it's still a clique & at times, totally unfair.

There is huge inconsistency here. The recent AH thread on the RTE producer is a classic example. Anyone suggesting an opposite opinion was shouted down. I didn't think that I would ever see posters using language like "dirty feckin paedo" against another poster.

I will still use it but I don't feel loyalty - for example I wouldn't donate.

I can't be arsed with Reddit - I even hate the "new" Boards layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I can't work out Reddit. It seems Reddit is a bit too big and Boards is getting a bit too small. I like Boards though.

One thing thats turning me off is - there's a lot of inactive forums or forums with very little activity on Boards. Threads posted in AH like say "favourite old adverts" or a lighthearted music thread that AH posters are enjoying and taking part in get closed or sent to inactive forums where no one participates! I don't see the point of that :confused:

Discodog wrote: »
    There is huge inconsistency here. The recent AH thread on the RTE producer is a classic example. Anyone suggesting an opposite opinion was shouted down. I didn't think that I would ever see posters using language like "dirty feckin paedo" against another poster.
    Yep, consistency is the major issue with that mod I mentioned also - I noticed he went on a little card spree against particular posters recently, including two lads for talking about something completely off topic but completely innocuous in a 2-3 post exchange. Two mods (of other forums, if I recall) also had a separate completely off topic but completely innocuous 2-3 post exchange literally 1-2 pages back.

Knowing full well nothing would happen, I reported those two mods' posts citing the posts that were carded... nothing. So I went and I PM'ed the same mod... nothing. In the end what happened? Nothing. This has happened multiple times with this mod, and suddenly when confronted with another mod doing what they've been deeming cardable on their power trip, their balls seem to shrivel back up at record speed all the way to their belly button.

Going by the feedback threads etc, you can expect not much of anything that way too. That is a pretty big flaw to be honest, because you just leave some cretin on a power trip completely unchecked as a result which kills communities and does massive damage to the likes of Boards as a result.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    I was very loyal to Boards until my one & only experience of the "moderation" procedure. I had this weird idea that Boards were fair & reasonable. But it became obvious that you have no chance if you reasonably question our overlords. Despite what the Admins says it's still a clique & at times, totally unfair.

I will still use it but I don't feel loyalty - for example I wouldn't donate.

I can't be arsed with Reddit - I even hate the "new" Boards layout.

Yeah I had a similar experience with mods year ago. I got carded for no reason, I commented and the people in the comments after my post broke the charter and I got carded along with them. I then appealed the decision the correct way and was talked down to by the C-Mod and he acted like a bit of a d!ck, in the end the actual moderator admitted that the card wasn't warranted and agreed to rescind the card. Even after the card was rescinded it still shows on my history :(

Moderation on boards is really inconsistent across different sub forums, in some the moderation can be very fair and in others mods can be d1cks.

Overall though Boards still has its place in my heart. I do see why its losing its appeal to Reddit though, its nice being able to talk on Reddit without worrying about an over zealous mod. I think I now use Reddit 60% of the time and Boards 40% of the time.

Reddit if you want to stay up to date with news events (any major event over the past few years has had Redditors close by), with any kind of news, general media (almost every image you see here first popped up over there), and for the odd time that a celebrity/important figure does an Ask Me Anything Q&A.

boards for the community, though I feel like that aspect is getting steadily worse as time goes by.

Funny you popped up in here, I had a brief 2-3 sentences on the NFL forum being excellently run, and how power tripping moderators like the one I've bumped into would kill it dead in a matter of months if not less. ;)

I don't think I caught that though, was it a re-reg type account or an active poster?

One of the worst things I've seen on boards was the "It's okay to be white." thread getting deleted.. Not even locked, just gone instead.

The thread was a conversation about those signs being left on public notice boards and people's massive overreaction to them.

I messaged a mod asking about it but got no reply. My last thread about some else in feedback never even got approved.

I am going to assume this was directed at me. I was on holidays and semi off the grid. I assumed you would have messaged another mod but I guess you didn't.

Anyway, that thread was started by a regular rereg troll. And like all rereg trolls, any crap they start gets deleted. That's a common policy for rereg trolls, not the content of the threads they start.

About that poster... do you seem them posting here any more?

That thread was started at night and ran riot throughout the early hours. Mods are volunteers and also need to sleep.

And what female mod?

I am going to assume this was directed at me. I was on holidays and semi off the grid. I assumed you would have messaged another mod but I guess you didn't.

Anyway, that thread was started by a regular rereg troll. And like all rereg trolls, any crap they start gets deleted. That's a common policy for rereg trolls, not the content of the threads they start.

I came to AH to post about that same thing he did, but because he got there first, the topic can't be discussed.. There were about three pages of conversation deleted I think.

There should be something more to the rule than blanket deletions.

There should be something more to the rule than blanket deletions.

I disagree. Rereg trolls should be starved of oxygen. But if you have an alternative suggestion, then it would do no harm to throw it over to the feedback forum.

Anyway, this thread is gone from boards vs reddit into boards moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anyway, this thread is gone from boards vs reddit into boards moderation.

That will happen in places where you can't give feedback on moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Alot of people on reddit have no time for boards, see it has a political correctness gone mad.

Many times on this if you disagree with the norm you are called nuts on this or tin foil hat wearer of some such if you disagree with the garbage that RTE or BBC sprout.

Can be very knee jerk reaction.

I find it offensive to be called a tin foil hat wearer, I wear a tin foil helmet!. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I prefer boards. It's familiar and I don't like change!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

See if this was reddit that boards moderation conversation could have been hidden with one click and I wouldn't have had to read through it looking for the next on topic post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Billy86 wrote: »

However there is one particularly nasty little piece of work in one of the forums I frequent most who has basically told me over PM that they look to card me where they wouldn't others if the opportunity ever arises for them and have given me infractions before for reasons they could not justify, claiming I was purposely claiming the charter said things it didn't and point blank refusing to answer when I quoted the exact sentence and asked what else it was supposed to mean.

Similar enough experience myself with a mod telling me that an admin had instructed them to card me at every opportunity. Annoying thing is that you can’t discuss it in feedback threads because you can’t mention specific posters, and on the off chance it is mentioned it just gets shot down because boards insists mods/admins can do no wrong and are above personal agendas.

On boards v Reddit the only mod presence I’ve noticed over there is a request for new mods on subreddits

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You seem to have completely missed the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This
    Hrududu wrote: »
    My problem with Reddit is I go there and read a thread. But if I go back later and want to see what else has been added to the thread it's a pain following it

and this
    dudara wrote: »
    The upvote thing on Rediit is the exact reason I've never taken to it. I find it disruptive, I like to read the conversation in its natural flow. Plus, I don't even trust people to vote for Eurovision acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

This thread has prompted me to actually visit reddit for the first time. I might have a go and decide then.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    This thread has prompted me to actually visit reddit for the first time. I might have a go and decide then.

It's really confusing and daunting at first, lacks a sense of community for the most part as others have mentioned, but it's a great source of info or timewasting memes while you're on the bog. Rather than scrolling down a list like you do here, just search for whatever you want and there's likely at least one full (busy) subforum on it. When you click into a thread the most 'liked' posts are at the top, but if you want chronological you can switch that to 'new' somewhere near the thread title (on the page after clicking into it). Just to save you some headaches!

Their Ireland subreddit might be a good starting point, google 'Ireland reddit' because it might be poor form for me to link to it here. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's really confusing and daunting at first, lacks a sense of community for the most part as others have mentioned, but it's a great source of info or timewasting memes while you're on the bog. Rather than scrolling down a list like you do here, just search for whatever you want and there's likely at least one full (busy) subforum on it. When you click into a thread the most 'liked' posts are at the top, but if you want chronological you can switch that to 'new' somewhere near the thread title (on the page after clicking into it). Just to save you some headaches!

Their Ireland subreddit might be a good starting point, google 'Ireland reddit' because it might be poor form for me to link to it here. :p

There's a rake of AH regulars on there, with the same handles. It's a good baby step.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement