Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reddit or Boards?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There's a rake of AH regulars on there, with the same handles. It's a good baby step.

I chose a different handle, but similarly as funny I assure you.

Thanks Billy, I see a lot of videos and pics for starters but it did concern me the lack of parochial sh*te that I enjoy so starting with the Ireland forum might be a good idea :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I came to AH to post about that same thing he did, but because he got there first, the topic can't be discussed.. There were about three pages of conversation deleted I think.

There should be something more to the rule than blanket deletions.
    Obvious answer would be leave the conversation open if it's gone beyond a page and is being engaged with and is within the general don't be a dick rule, ban the rereg, leave people to talk. Simples. Too often too many conversations are killed here and it's not good for the community. Reddit has its uses, but community isn't one of them(in general) and it would be my belief that people looking for online communities outside of ArseBook(which is sh1te much of the time) will grow in number.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Wibbs wrote: »
    ArseBook.

'I'll arsebook you now in a minute'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Since Boards traffic and popularity has dropped precipitously, due to serious mismanagement (primarily in moderation) spanning many years - and the harmonized chorus of longtime posters arguing "It's how the fúcking site is moderated! Roll back the level of moderation!" - now is a good time for Boards to make some big changes, and have a more hands-free approach to moderation, in order to arrest the sites decline.

When an organization develops rot in those that lead and manage it (and I'm including moderators here) - that creates a problem that is notoriously difficult to fix - and this problem has very deeply set-in on Boards.

Boards needs a single person who is a longtime part of the community, and who has no conflicting interests, to take a defining/leading role in revamping moderation of the site - by completely stripping away ALL unneccessary/over-bureaucratic moderation - and letting people just discuss things in whatever way they want.
    Don't moderate anything - unless it's absolutely required - and even then, think twice/thrice about it. As things are, the site serves to randomly antagonize users, due to its style of moderation - needs to change drastically, or it will die.

Rule-by-committee doesn't work when the above type of rot sets in, either - need a single well reputed person (who actually understands the community) to force the necessary bureaucratic change.

This includes Boards having a bit more balls, when it comes to legal issues as well - the site shouldn't be cowering to potential (not even actual, just potential...) legal threats - especially when its competitors aren't anywhere near as over-cautious.

So ya, get someone in a leadership role, who is a part of the community, has no conflicts of interest, and actually understands all of this stuff - pay them if you have to - or let the rot continue and watch the site die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

KyussB wrote: »
    Don't moderate anything - unless it's absolutely required - and even then, think twice/thrice about it.

I don't know that everyone would agree with that. I wouldn't.

While the heavy-handed moderation in some forums irks me, it's a lot more tolerable than scrolling through pages of personal insults, serious hate speech, and the ever popular suggestion to "kill yourself".

On an anonymous site, none of this stuff bothers me personally (versus on FB or similar sites where I might be concerned to take that sort of thing as a legitimate threat), but it's tedious as hell to wade through when looking for actual content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Thread has little or no chance of being what the OP is about. I think we're done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement