Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Thread at last read point

Options
  • 30-06-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I'm not sure how it works where a thread will open at the last read point or not. It seems recent ones mantain the last-read point but threads I have not looked at for a while open on post #1.

Also if I search for a thread, it always opens from post #1, even if I've read it before.

Is there any clarity on the bahaviour of where it opens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Ranjo wrote: »
    I'm not sure how it works where a thread will open at the last read point or not. It seems recent ones mantain the last-read point but threads I have not looked at for a while open on post #1.

Also if I search for a thread, it always opens from post #1, even if I've read it before.

Is there any clarity on the bahaviour of where it opens?

That's been a bug for a long time now. Doubt anyone has ever looked at it tbh.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Can you tell me what version of the site you use? Touch, desktop, responsive?

On desktop you need to click a specific icon to get to first unread post whereas on touch and responsive just clicking on the thread title should take you there. I'll check to see if there is any expiring cookie for that - it may expire if you haven't been back to a thread in a certain length of time, e.g. a few weeks but I'm not sure on that.

Desktop icon for first unread post:
    421409.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Reported nearly 4 years ago (and multiple times since e.g.)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Can you tell me what version of the site you use? Touch, desktop, responsive?

I use touch and desktop. I don't know what responsive is sorry.

I'll have to go through the various scenarios I do on the site to list out the differences. I know one specific one is on the desktop or touch site, if I search for a thread (which I may only read on the rare occasion) when it comes up in the results, this take me to post #1.

On the mobile site, just browsing via "my forums" and selecting threads, it does take me to the most recently read post.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Ranjo wrote: »
    I use touch and desktop. I don't know what responsive is sorry.

I'll have to go through the various scenarios I do on the site to list out the differences. I know one specific one is on the desktop or touch site, if I search for a thread (which I may only read on the rare occasion) when it comes up in the results, this take me to post #1.

On the mobile site, just browsing via "my forums" and selecting threads, it does take me to the most recently read post.

Were you able to do this or has the issue resolved itself?

I know when you don't visit a thread for a long time the system assumes that you have never read the thread before, it has happened to me too occasionally. Length of time seems to be about 2 weeks. Does that sound like what is happening to you or is it shorter periods than 2 weeks since you've read the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Happens roughly every 2 weeks from what I can tell.

Its only with the touch site. A thread on the the full site will open at the "last read" post even it it was a month between visits.

Don't use the responsive site.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Were you able to do this or has the issue resolved itself?

I know when you don't visit a thread for a long time the system assumes that you have never read the thread before, it has happened to me too occasionally. Length of time seems to be about 2 weeks. Does that sound like what is happening to you or is it shorter periods than 2 weeks since you've read the thread?

It sounds about right, after two weeks it forgets the last read spot. I would also add, if a thread I know is found by search, then it always opens at first post, even if read recently. There's only 1-2 threads I search for, and I should probably subscribe to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just a passing thought...

Isn't two weeks the TTL on the cookies around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Spear wrote: »
    Just a passing thought...

Isn't two weeks the TTL on the cookies around here?
    Yes, but unrelated. You can sign out and clear your cookies, and when you sign back in the thread will remember where you were (so long as you've read it within two weeks). It's handled server-side

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement