Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions for PT

• 30-06-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on questions one should ask and things that you should look for when considering hiring a personal trainer?

I know basically anyone can do a short course these days and call themselves a pt so how can you tell that you know what they're talking about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on questions one should ask and things that you should look for when considering hiring a personal trainer?

I know basically anyone can do a short course these days and call themselves a pt so how can you tell that you know what they're talking about?

Easiest way is to get a recommendation; I wouldn't hire a PT without a strong recommendation from a trusted source.

After that, I'd say don't go into it looking for the PT to prove themselves to you. If you hire them, go all in and follow their instructions. If it's not a good match/not going well, you'll likely figure it out pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Really simple criteria -

1. Is their training philosophy laid out in the content they produce - this is NOT the same as training tools or methods.

2. Do they have a wide range of clients - the wider the age and ability range generally the better and would favour a few older clients as they can be more challenging to work with e.g over 60yrs old

3 Is their marketing/social media content filled with them or do they actually work with ANY clients at all - this is really common right now for trainers to offer services when they have zero qualifications and even if they do they train NO ONE, EVER!

4. If they talk more about fat loss and less about their overall training system and philosophy then thats an issue IMO.

5. The 4,6,8,12 week fat loss bootcamp rapid results program is the equivalent of a ****ty restaurant that has to sell its food through pictures of the meal and neon signs, might taste good when your desperate but the next day you know you did wrong

A few pointers

Transform wrote: »
    Really simple criteria -

1. Is their training philosophy laid out in the content they produce - this is NOT the same as training tools or methods.

2. Do they have a wide range of clients - the wider the age and ability range generally the better and would favour a few older clients as they can be more challenging to work with e.g over 60yrs old

3 Is their marketing/social media content filled with them or do they actually work with ANY clients at all - this is really common right now for trainers to offer services when they have zero qualifications and even if they do they train NO ONE, EVER!

4. If they talk more about fat loss and less about their overall training system and philosophy then thats an issue IMO.

5. The 4,6,8,12 week fat loss bootcamp rapid results program is the equivalent of a ****ty restaurant that has to sell its food through pictures of the meal and neon signs, might taste good when your desperate but the next day you know you did wrong

A few pointers

I'd add this interview I did with Elite fitness and performance academy also as it breaks down trainers and the industry and many might find it useful - https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/elite-fpa-podcast/id1243478116?mt=2#episodeGuid=a10b8553065fc17c1344b5667e0a5077

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Easiest way is to get a recommendation; I wouldn't hire a PT without a strong recommendation from a trusted source.

After that, I'd say don't go into it looking for the PT to prove themselves to you. If you hire them, go all in and follow their instructions. If it's not a good match/not going well, you'll likely figure it out pretty soon.

I had a PT before who came recommended but it took me a few months (and lots of wasted €€ ) to figure out they weren't for me. Hence, I am hoping I can educate myself a bit better, so I can know what to look out for next time and be able to exercise better judgment in making a decision on a PT as well as recommendations. Instead of kinda blindly trusting others experiences of that person because I have no clue what's right and what isn't.
    Transform wrote: »
    Really simple criteria -

A few pointers

Thanks for its definitely set me in the right direction :)

Probably a bit of a dumb question but what do you mean by training philosophy and training system ?

I suppose while I'm here I should probably ask if anyone has any recommendations for a PT in or around NCD/Swords area ?

I have seen this guy recommended a few times http://www.focusfitness.ie/meet-your-trainers/ but in the blog on their website they're peddling herbalife ****e so I'm not so sure....

Training philosophy = the how, what and why of how they approach working with clients.

Training tools and methods = training like a fitness competitor for aesthetics is so hot right now so EVERYONE gets trained like that.

As far as I can see - Most trainers have ZERO and I mean ZERO training principles and systems.

Everything just turns into an exercise of the week and they put training intensity at the top of their training methods.

the gym offers a free consult so youve nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement