Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breathable "Hybrid" Cycling Pants??

Options
  • 30-06-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all. Have what may be a strange/stupid question. I'm what I would call a causal commuter cyclist. I cycle a commuter bike to work 2-3 days per week. I generally wear tracksuit bottoms, unless it's very warm in which case I wear shorts.

I'm changing jobs soon and want to invest in some better gear to encourage me to cycle more. What I'm looking for is some sort of pants that are a cross between tracksuit bottoms and waterproof bottoms. Basically something that would be waterproof but very breathable and comfortable. Something you'd be happy to wear most days from autumn to spring in Ireland when it's relatively cool.

Does such a thing exist? I've seen the likes of Gore overpants that are apparently very breathable. But I'm not sure if they're something you'd wear every day?

Anyone come across anything like what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I really don't know of any cycling trousers that fit the bill, honestly. Getting waterproof with breathability in cycling clothes is an ongoing compromise, really. I don't think there's anything better than having different options weather conditions. I usually wear 3/4 shorts and have a pair of waterproof overtrousers in reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I've never come across trousers that are both waterproof and comfortable to wear. What I do think is good are light hiking trousers. These are comfortable to wear and dry extremely quickly.

Something like this:-
    http://www.craghoppers.com/classic-kiwi-trousers-black-0-9.html

When I was looking for this link I found they do have a product that seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I'm intrigued but dubious. I suspect they aren't as comfortable as regular hiking trousers and aren't as waterproof as overtrousers.
    http://www.craghoppers.com/kiwi-pro-waterproof-trousers-black.html

My usual routine is to put on proper waterproof overtrousers if is it really pelting down, quick drying trousers like the Kiwis above if it is just raining a little or I think that it might rain later. Cotton tracksuit bottoms or jeans are some of the worst things to wear in the rain due to the way they chafe when wet and take an eternity to dry. I'd have to be fairly certain it was going to stay dry to wear either of them. Most bike commutes are fairly short though, 20 to 30 minutes in light rain is probably not going to ruin your day for most clothing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Billy Davey

I really don't know of any cycling trousers that fit the bill, honestly. Getting waterproof with breathability in cycling clothes is an ongoing compromise, really. I don't think there's anything better than having different options weather conditions. I usually wear 3/4 shorts and have a pair of waterproof overtrousers in reserve.

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you wear the 3/4 shorts in winter, on a cold morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you wear the 3/4 shorts in winter, on a cold morning?

Yeah I do, the waterproofs only come out in heavy rain/sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Billy Davey

@HivemindXX thanks for that - they look a little bit "trousery" - I wonder if there's any stores in Ireland where I could try them on

@Darkglasses fair play to you - I need my full lengths in the winter! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

It may sound like a strange one but Google Paul Carberry Riding Wear. This is the go to gear for alot of Stable Staff countrywide. When your riding 4-8 horses of a morning in all weather conditions you need Waterproof Breathable trousers.

I have a pair for years. And have used them on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

@HivemindXX thanks for that - they look a little bit "trousery" - I wonder if there's any stores in Ireland where I could try them on.....
    TK Maxx do a lot of those hiking sort of trousers. (The legs always seem a bit wide for cycling though).

Advertisement