Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the best thing about Limerick city.

• 01-07-2017 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

We hear about all the bad rap that Limerick city gets in the media about gangland violence and murder, and its nickname stab city, and yes the likes of Southill, Moyross, and Ballinacurra etc, have suffered from huge social problems, but what are the good points of Limerick, the obvious would be Munster rugby, but what else springs to mind.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Locke on a sunny day...if you manage to get a seat that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Any road that takes you away from it....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

When we can stop justifying ourselves against that bored/tired narrative including that repugnant nickname will be the best thing about this city...but it seems we are not there yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭CWF

Thomand Park and UL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Chicken Hut, Donkey Fordes and Enzos..

Three junk food outlets.

Am I the only one tired of these places getting trotted out as something to be proud of regarding Limerick?

In terms of food, they are pure muck. Donkeys is located in one of the worst parts of the city. That street is a run down ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

The people. Down to earth, unpretentious and a natural dry wit only a Shannonsider could wield.

Also the peoples park, that place is such an under utilised asset its criminal. It should be paraded as jewel in the city's crown like st Stephens green not tucked away and ignored like it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Youre talking ****e. The Dundons are well dinked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't get there much now, but thirty years ago I would have said the Sunday afternoon session in the Parkway and then on to Buddy's with a stop off at Collins's's.
    Used to hitch down from Galway especially for that.
    Still a lovely city imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

• A Saturday morning stroll around the Milk Market. A feast for the senses.
    • A picnic in peoples park while watching an impromtu game of cricket from our diverse migrant communities.
    • An evening run along the banks of the River Shannon immersed in nature along the city to UL path.
    • A pint with friends in The Curraghower Bar or JJ Boules while looking out over the spectacular views of the Cuuraghower falls or the historic King Johns Castle.
    • Shopping up William Street and seeing colourful characters from all walks of life.
    • Walking along the beautiful Sarsfield Bridge and passing horse-drawn carriages and rowers on the river
    • Every possible amenity within walking/cycling distance with no heavy traffic.
    • But far and above this all is the people, whom are witty, friendly, a bit eccentric and mad, but welcoming and warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

I'm not a native of the city but I love it.

I love that Limerick city is a place people live. There are so many small streets full of houses close to the city, the people use the city like a village which adds vibrancy the city. IMHO we need more housing options in the city where people can reap the benefits of living in the city.

I too love the people's park and shelbourne park.;) I think arthurs quay park is a missed opportunity however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm happy about it's lower levels of traffic compared to other cities. People may think our traffic is bad in Limerick but it's nothing compared to the other cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

panda100 wrote: »
    • Shopping up William Street and seeing colourful characters from all walks of life.

This one got to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭CPTM

Out in the Atlantic Ocean great sheets of rain gathered to drift slowly up the River Shannon and settle forever in Limerick

This Frank McCourt quote summarised my time spent in Limerick.

I have to say, if it wasn't for the rain it would be a really nice place to live. Sure it has its rough places, but a lot less riff raff than Dublin these days in my opinion.

With the expected urbanisation that the council seem to be going ahead with I think it would be a major alternative to Dublin.

If it wasn't for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Interesting topic. for me its shops that are different in some way; including Lady's Lane in Catherine street [has that element of surprise], a few other antique shops also, Matthew Stephen's jewellers, O'Mahonys and Celtic bookshops, Gleeson's sports store, tobacconist in Wickham Street. Any others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

CPTM wrote: »

I have to say, if it wasn't for the rain it would be a really nice place to live. Sure it has its rough places, but a lot less riff raff than Dublin these days in my opinion.

With the expected urbanisation that the council seem to be going ahead with I think it would be a major alternative to Dublin.

I have to say if this was a thread about things you hate about Limerick he would be top of the list.

Shelbourne park is a great place.the Condell road walk to coonagh is really nice.and going to a match at Thomond park can't be beaten.also the milk market for a stroll around and dolans for a gig or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not from or living in limerick but having a castle in the city centre is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

One of the best things about Limerick for me is being centrally located in the mid west. Love the outdoors, getting out to take photos and its dead handy that you've got places like Kerry, Galway, Clare and North Tipp close by.

In the city itself would be walks along the canal, Condell road and riverside which could be so much better if the council put just a smidgen of effort into it.

Thomond Park. Its my favorite place in the city. Me and the lads actually make a really big deal out of match day. Any match at all. Book a meal, few pints, stroll to the stadium, watch match and hit the town afterwards. Win or lose. We've been doing it years and its one of those things we'll grow old doing.

I was in the mayors office recently too. I'd say its purposely designed to have the best view of Limerick. From the balcony you can see most of the landmarks in the city while looking down the Shannon. We really live in an epic place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The most beautiful noise created by the pealing of the Redemptorist Church bells. It really can gladden the heart and lift the spirits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The Georgian archtitecture, the river front, King Johns Castle.Limerick is a great city with great character.It doesn't put on false tourist fronts and false touristy facades and pretences unlike some other cities.I wish some natives would lose the persecution complex and accept it when people bring up flaws about the city.How can we improve Limerick if we are blind to it's faults and flaws?But to finish up the people make the city.Their so kind warm friendly and they don't put on airs and graces.I love Limerick a lot.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

It doesn't put on false tourist fronts and false touristy facades and pretences unlike some other cities.

That may be so but those other cities are thronged with tourists in the summer whilst Limerick is dead in comparison.

Our tourist office is closed on Sundays for god sake.

Limerick City does tourism badly. Very badly.

The fantastic riverfront from King John's Castle up to Limerick Docks and the Abbey river by the Locke Bar.

It is by FAR the best thing about our city and it is a damn shame that we don't utilise it more and that most of our city has its back to the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭purplesnack

CPTM wrote: »

I think Frank McCourt had a very blinkered view of Limerick and people have latched onto that. It gets less rainfall than most of the west and is more comparable to the east of the country. http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/rainfall.asp. In fact, the longest absolute drought was recorded in.....Limerick! https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp

Anyway, for me, the people are the best thing about Limerick. No pretentiousness, down to earth, with a great dry sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think Frank McCourt had a very blinkered view of Limerick and people have latched onto that. It gets less rainfall than most of the west and is more comparable to the east of the country. http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/rainfall.asp. In fact, the longest absolute drought was recorded in.....Limerick! https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp

Anyway, for me, the people are the best thing about Limerick. No pretentiousness, down to earth, with a great dry sense of humour.

Frank McCourt was a writer who wrote a book about his childhood/youth using as much artistic licence he could along with a dysfunctional upbringing...he won a Pulitzer prize for his efforts...this is where our image problem (as opposed to a persecution complex) confuses things...we can get very sensitive very quick, understandably I'd say...this city has had an image problem that is now 4 decades old!

For me, the completely unpretentious nature of the place along with a razor sharp humour are our standout characteristics but I love the creativity and confidence of our talented people, it manifests itself in our music/art/theatre/sport/comedians...it can justifiably claim to be one of Irelands most creative hotspots...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Not from or living in limerick but having a castle in the city centre is fantastic.

I went in a year ago to try get some night shots of the castle only to find out the entire thing was in darkness. Is the castle lit up at night or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

This one got to me

I know I should say something loftier like viewing the exhibitions in Limerick City Art Gallery but there's something about William St that does it for me. Its the mix of characters and shops. I don't think you get that in Dublin or Cork 😊

chicorytip wrote:
    The most beautiful noise created by the pealing of the Redemptorist Church bells. It really can gladden the heart and lift the spirits.

Oh yes this is definitely one I agree with. We lived right beside The Redemptorist when I was younger and I used to love the pealing of those bells. It always give me a lift when i hear them on a Sunday morning.

Just after walking by the river and all along Clancy Strand and the riverfront is just beautiful at twilight.

I also love little Catherine Street on a Saturday morning for a coffee and people watching. Its such a quirky little street with a great blend of cafes and shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The river, the riverside and the castle. They are the best things about Limerick City. I mean c'mon 'the locke bar' & 'The most beautiful noise created by the pealing of the Redemptorist Church bells' are you people for real?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Alas, we're still a long way off open-mindedness and allowing people to express their own unique personal opinions...

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    The river, the riverside and the castle. They are the best things about Limerick City. I mean c'mon 'the locke bar' & 'The most beautiful noise created by the pealing of the Redemptorist Church bells' are you people for real?

Are you for real having a go at the people of Limerick with a username like that?

Advertisement