Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoted but person who held the title doesn't like it

Options
  • 01-07-2017 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I was recently promoted in work and the manager that I previously worked under isn't happy about it.

I was working as their second in command and we had a good work relationship. I had more experience than them and this became more obvious to our overall manager.

As such I was promoted to head of the department and also another department. At the time of the promotion my manager seemed off with me and I spoke to them at the time and also the overall manager as well. My concerns were dismissed by both.

Since then my old manager has consistently undermined me with the staff, sent emails out to all employees regarding issues I should be handling ( while I am out of the office for 2 days).

It makes it very hard to manage a team efficiently when you are being undermined and trying to implement changes that the old manager opposes.

I suppose I am looking for advice in that do I tackle the issue head on and speak to them about this or just let it lie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Speak to them head on. You can say it casually enough "Thanks for sending the email about x but that message should have come from me. In future I will send out any department emails relating to change of policy", or whatever. I am sure they know they over stepped! Their nose is obviously a bit out of joint.

Congrats on your promotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Advertisement