Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European tyre age limits

Options
  • 01-07-2017 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm taking the Motor home to France in seven days time and I got my mechanic to give it the once over before the trip.
    All was good but he warned me that the tires are 10 years old and he felt that, they might be illegal in France.
    No problem with tread depth.
    Has anyone ever come across this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I'd be worried more myself from old tyres having possible blow outs on motorways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Tyres over 6 years old are an NCT pass advisory here, and "tyres more than 10 years old, including spare tyres, should be replaced—even if such tyres appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal tread wear limit of 1.6mm." according to the road safety authority.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Your-Vehicles-Tyres-/Tyre-Upkeep/

I would change the tyres for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I've had my MH go through the French equivalent of the NCT every two years for the last decade and never had any comments about the age of the tyres even though (until yesterday) the front tyres are the same ones that have been on it since 2003. I had them Despite having done about 140000km, they still had decent thread depth, but the side walls were looking a bit iffy so I opted to change them while having other work done on the wheels/suspension.

I've been through three sets of tyres on the rear wheels in the same time.

Edit: just had a look, and no, there is no legal age limit on tyres in France. They can even be stocked and sold ten years after production!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I wouldn't risk 10 year old tyres, tyre companies recommend changing after 5 or 6 years due to the effect of ozone and sun on the rubber. the sidewalls might look ok but often there is perishing between the threads.

A few hundred euro for tyres can be an awful lot less that the cost of repairing damage after a blow out.

Remember, your not talking about a delivery van with varying loads your talking about a motorhome operating continuously at or near maximum load.

http://www.tyresafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/motorhome-leaflet.pdf

Advertisement