Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UHG heli pad

Options
  • 01-07-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭

Just listening to the families of Rescue 116 that was lost of Mayo on the Marion Finnicune show and then I read this absolute rubbish about a corner of a field that was never ever used for anything where the Coastguard and Air Corps Rescue helicopters are currently operating from at UHG.

How in Gods name anyone can have an issue with a Rescue helicopter providing a life saving service is beyond belief. Heart breaking listening to them talk about their loss, wonderful brave people flying the Rescue Helicopters providing a great service to people in need.

As a matter of interest Rescue 116 landed at UHG after airlifting a critically ill patient from Donegal to Galway a few days before the crash that claimed the lives of four wonderful crew members of the Coastguard.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/hse-working-council-amid-fresh-controversy-shantalla-helipad/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What exactly is their objection do you know?

If it's noise is it going to be realistically less noisy if it's located on the UCHG campus?

I have to say I've never heard anyone resent the work they do or any inconvenience from noise. It can be grating at particular times if you're living very close by but it's not an irritation people aren't completely willing to put up with in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Not trying to drag the topic off topic but if they made the decision years ago to expend merlin Park and downgrade nuhg then there wouldn't really be a noise issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Where would the copter land, if not there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Where would the copter land, if not there?

It's meant to be on the roof of the carpark they built but never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

It was never meant to be on the car park roof.

• Advertisement

Some people just like to object to things. It gives them a sense of power. Like the three loons who have objected to the Apple Datacentre in Athenry.

I read another article about the residents association in Sandyford objecting to a new apartment building that was going to be built. For those not aware, sandyford in Dublin is an industrial estate with apartments. I worked there for many years and would have loved to live in one of the apartments in the estate, so hearing people object to more apartments, at a time when there is a massive shortage of housing no less, because then theirr kids will have no where to play really grinds my gears.

As for the helipad, I reckon its the same thing. People with nothing better to do, then object to things, making themselves feel important. If the coast guard helicopter landed at the bottom of my garden, I'd feel proud everytime I heard it.

And when we wonder why our HSE is overbloated, one of the reasons is the time and money wasted entertaining these eejits and their ilk..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

The current helipad used to be a football field or something. While construction was occuring on hospitals grounds which would affect the old helipad, an agreement was made with residents to use the field as a temporary (emphasis on "temporary") helipad until construction was completed, which was expected to take 6 months.

The problem is that 4 years later, the HSE have unilaterally changed the terms of the agreement from temporary to permanent without compensation to the residents who no longer have the use of the facility which was taken away from them.

A recent article on the matter: http://connachttribune.ie/hse-has-no-immediate-plan-to-hand-back-helicopter-landing-pad-112/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

It was a ****e football pitch, and I mean ****e. The surface was dangerous. Either way, it was rarely used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

It was a ****e football pitch, and I mean ****e. The surface was dangerous. Either way, it was rarely used

Is a ****e football field worse than no football field?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dbop2003

The area where the helipad is now was never a football field. The current football field was improved and used regurally as a 'squatters rights' as far as I heard. You're right though, the field is awful, drainage is brutal, and the surface is so holey and pitted it's a health risk!!
    Don't think anyone is really concerned about the noise of the helicopters. It isn't ideal access for A&E being at the back of the hospital. But I suppose needs must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not trying to drag the topic off topic but if they made the decision years ago to expend merlin Park and downgrade nuhg then there wouldn't really be a noise issue

Yes there would, but it would be for a different group of people - ones who live in Renmore, Ballybane, Mervue, Doughiska and Merlin Park. That said, I haven't heard anyone complaining about the noise anyways.

And if Merlin Park was extended and Newcastle downgraded, that would have put none of the city's hospitals on the west side of the river, in a city which is already short on bridge capacity. Imagine what would happen if the Quin Bridge was out of action due to some sort of disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I live really close to the helipad, and the only "problem" I have is the feeling, everytime I hear the helicopter, that I hope it's nothing too bad. FFS. Would you complain about ambulance sirens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Never on the roof of the carpark, rooftop helipad would not take the weight of the Coast Guard S92 helicopter, they are just too heavy at 12 tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If you live in a city close to a major hospital, you should be happy to put up with some noise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I live pretty close to the hospital.... when i bought the house i hadn't anticipated the noise of the helicopters and I got the fright of my life the first night one flew over the house (the whole house was shaking, i thought it was landing on us!)

I'm used to it now mind and the sirens too... if you choose to live city centre, especially near a hospital, then noise is part and parcel.

I do sympathise with the folks in shantalla though.... in fairness to them they were made a promise and accepted in good faith, they are without a facility however substandard or infrequently used, and probably feel shafted and I would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I do sympathise with the folks in shantalla though.... in fairness to them
    they were made a promise and accepted in good faith, they are without a facility
    however substandard or infrequently used, and probably feel shafted and I would
    too.
    If you live near the hospital then you will know that section of the field was never used at any time for anything and was growing wild, the grass was never even cut in there, it was a short cut to town through the hospital which is all I ever saw it being used for, they are not denied the use of the pitch I have seen several matches there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I wouldn't see that bit of field as being of any importance especially above the rescue services, but, It is a matter of principle regarding the agreement between the HSE and the people of shantalla which was that the HSE could relocate their helipad temporarily for six months while they constructed the new multi storey car park.

That was 4 years ago now.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

there is a newly built helipad right beside the newly built multi-storey. seems to have ground lighting,a large circular concrete area with a giant H written on it. between the multi-storey and the paediatric unit. i don't understand why they are still landing on the pitch as this area has been ready to go for a long time.

these same residents objected to the multi storey being any bigger too, hence why its only 2 storeys. they should have built a 5 storey car park while they were at it and actually eased the parking problem instead of a 2 storey that has less spaces than the original car park it was supposed to replace!
    at 5 storeys it still wouldn't have been any higher than the hospital itself

That's the original helipad. Think there's issues with access off the helipad (just speculating, not 100% sure). Or there's something about the multistory car park restricting access?? Not very clear about the issues.
    Thats true about the car park though. The residents kicked a major fuss about it and restricted it to a two story. Bet they're pissed now as theres never parking in library and dunnes carparks due to staff parking there, as there's not enough parking in the hospital.

Right next to the paediatric wing was always a slightly odd choice I think. The helicopters are frequently flying in the night. A whole wing of sick, frightened kids being woken in the night by that level of noise to find a parent gone home would be far from ideal I'd think.

• Advertisement

That's funny!!! The kids love seeing the helicopter, and the parents stay with the kids on the ward. Also, it's really not that loud. Occasionally I hear it (I live very close to it) it's kinda part of the background noise now.
    Anyhow, kids love seeing these things, don't you ever see the cars and people pulling up near the hospital and taking photos when it lands during the day? It doesn't often land in the night either. A couple of times a night max is say.

Lambasted wrote: »
    there is a newly built helipad right beside the newly built multi-storey. seems to have ground lighting,a large circular concrete area with a giant H written on it. between the multi-storey and the paediatric unit. i don't understand why they are still landing on the pitch as this area has been ready to go for a long time.

That's the original pad, I would speculate it has to do with the proximity it has from the helipad to the new build carpark, have you been near the IRCG S92 when she comes in to land? The downwash off the rotors is the equivalent to a hurricane, I am sure if they went over the carpark that the downwash would cause some damage, ive been there before & the downwash has easily shifted those road bollards that are full with water.

They don't land on the pitch except only in an exceptional circumstance, I have only ever seen them land on the pitch when 2 helicopters arrive at the same time which has happened a fair few times.

Right next to the paediatric wing was always a slightly odd choice I think. The helicopters are frequently flying in the night. A whole wing of sick, frightened kids being woken in the night by that level of noise to find a parent gone home would be far from ideal I'd think.

The kids love the helicopters, have you seen the amount of people that stop to look, even when they helicopters shut down people are over for a look & the crews (Military & Coast Guard) are always there for a chat & they show the kids the helicopters up close.

Psychlops wrote: »
    The kids love the helicopters, have you seen the amount of people that stop to look, even when they helicopters shut down people are over for a look & the crews (Military & Coast Guard) are always there for a chat & they show the kids the helicopters up close.

Oh I know kids love helicopters! Don't we all? :) I've been guilty of staring too... but there are kids, and then there are really sick kids. Having seen a few kids sick enough to be in hospital, in bed, not interested in food or toys or tv I don't think they'd love a really loud noise if they couldn't fully understand what's going on, particularly the under 5s.

I'd imagine sick adults would be better placed to deal with it so a different spot in the grounds might be better, not that I can think of where. Just my thoughts on it though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 flyingvisit

Never on the roof of the carpark, rooftop helipad would not take the weight of the Coast Guard S92 helicopter, they are just too heavy at 12 tonne.

There's 40 plus cars parked up there. Surely that adds up to more than 12 tonne.

I remember there being objection to it at time and people accepted it on a temporary basis. What is happening now is it proposed to be permanent? What has changed.

There's 40 plus cars parked up there. Surely that adds up to more than 12 tonne.

Those cars don't create a rotor wash that's almost the same strength as a hurricane though, the S92 does.

Those cars don't create a rotor wash that's almost the same strength as a hurricane though, the S92 does.

Sorry you're not making sense.

Firstly you state ” rooftop helipad would not take the weight of the Coast Guard S92 helicopter, they are just too heavy at 12 tonne.”. That's been rubished because there's 40 plus cars up there that way a minimum average of 1500kg so a conservative estimate is there's 60 tonne sitting up there. Secondly you state ”Those cars don't create a rotor wash that's almost the same strength as a hurricane though, the S92 does.” I think hurricane speeds start around 70mph. Do the maths 60 tonnes
    X 40mph wind VS 12 tonnes X≤70mph. your statements are nonsensical and hold no scientific merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The weight of 40 cars on the roof of said car park will be spread out.

You can't exactly spread out a Sikorsky.
    The weight of it will be concentrated on the one area the width and length of the helicopter. There is where our problem is.

D Trent wrote: »
    The weight of 40 cars on the roof of said car park will be spread out.

You can't exactly spread out a Sikorsky.
    The weight of it will be concentrated on the one area the width and length of the helicopter. There is where our problem is.

I'm not convinced! 12 tonnes is not a lot, a full laden bin truck weighs up on ten tonnes. I've seen metal helipads I think ye are seriously overestimating the force of these choppers and underestimating the strength of reinforced concrete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I've seen the helipad but never seen a helicopter land or take from it. something I've always wondered, how do they get patients too and from the helipad? by ambulance? cos its a good distance away from the main hospital and A&E

Advertisement