Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UHG heli pad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

fifib wrote: »
    I've seen the helipad but never seen a helicopter land or take from it. something I've always wondered, how do they get patients too and from the helipad? by ambulance? cos its a good distance away from the main hospital and A&E

Yes, by ambulance.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I've seen the helipad but never seen a helicopter land or take from it. something I've always wondered, how do they get patients too and from the helipad? by ambulance? cos its a good distance away from the main hospital and A&E

Check out this facebook link, they post video and pictures when they arrive at UHG.

https://www.facebook.com/helimoves/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Sorry you're not making sense.

Firstly you state ” rooftop helipad would not take the weight of the Coast Guard S92 helicopter, they are just too heavy at 12 tonne.”. That's been rubished because there's 40 plus cars up there that way a minimum average of 1500kg so a conservative estimate is there's 60 tonne sitting up there. Secondly you state ”Those cars don't create a rotor wash that's almost the same strength as a hurricane though, the S92 does.” I think hurricane speeds start around 70mph. Do the maths 60 tonnes
    X 40mph wind VS 12 tonnes X≤70mph. your statements are nonsensical and hold no scientific merit.

Sorry if it is not making sense to you, car weight can be spread, helicopter weight can not, the rotor downwash is extremely strong & mixing that with cars is not wise. The S92 is only licensed for ground level helipads also.

With regards to the S92 rotor downwash, 7 tonnes of air per second go through the main rotor blades.

You must be the only one! By Ambulance, its like a 1 minute trip from heli to ED.

I think hurricane speeds start around 70mph. Do the maths 60 tonnes
    X 40mph wind VS 12 tonnes X≤70mph. your statements are nonsensical and hold no scientific merit.

I have been told by a friend that the S92 downwash is hurricane force or around it at 100ft/s, over Gale force 11.

• Advertisement

Found this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Psychlops wrote: »

You must be the only one! By Ambulance, its like a 1 minute trip from heli to ED.

not necessarily, theres plenty of people who havent. I've seen helicopters there alright but never had chance to wait long enough for one to take off or land

Advertisement