Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain rust on new bike

Options
  • 01-07-2017 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I took my new bike to the coast last week.

I didn't go on the beach or get sea water on the chain but today noticed it's corroded / rusty - there was an onshore wind so it must've been wind borne salt.

What should I do to fix this? Can I just leave it or will it get worse?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3540.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Clean it and lubricate it.
    Repeat regularly.

This is the one that I use, I find it lasts quite a long time and is good for wet weather use

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/renthal-chain-lube/rp-prod50052

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Put a drop of petrol in a jar, drop the chain in for an hour, remove and rinse. Then lube. Will look brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Thanks. It's been like that for about 10 days but didn't see it as I haven't been using it - is that okay?

I've got a bit of aerosol citrus degreaser left or citrus degreaser to use with a chain bath - does it need either of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't worry about it, it's only superficial. Run the chain through a rag with some diesel or equivalent and re-lube.

(If you've been out on a wet ride, it helps to run the chain through a rag before putting the bike away.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

That's only light surface corrosion, superficial only! Run it through a cloth to clean off the worst of the moisture / salt and then apply a layer of oil. 10/40 engine oil works perfectly well if you haven't anything else though it will make a mess of your concrete / carpet if you bring the bike into the house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Thanks for the replies - the rust came off easily with a run through a rag followed by chain specific lubricant and a run through the rag again.

Advertisement