Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side dish for a burger

Options
  • 01-07-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any good recipes for a side dish to go with a burger. Chips is the obvious but I would like to do something a bit more original than that.

Any nice tasting salad recipes which aren't plastered with mayonnaise (my guests aren't into mayonnaise).

Something rice related with lots of nice vegetables such as sweet corn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Match stick chips are always a treat in our house. They take a bit longer to make but you can make them in advance and they'll keep crispy in a warm oven for ages.

A nice homemade coleslaw is good for the veg intake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

A second burger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

sugarman wrote: »
    Straight out corn on the cob? Plenty of recipes with unusual and tasty seasonings.

Plus fresh corn on the cob is on special offer in Dunnes this week - 49c :D
    Giant (also called israeli) couscous makes a lovely and unusual side dish, for example this recipe is delicious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/toasted-israeli-couscous-with-pine-nuts-and-parsley-231300

They now have giant couscous in Aldi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Proper macaroni cheese is nice with a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I know chips aren't original...but chips are delish!! You could make a guacamole and bean salad with sweetcorn maybe. But also chips! Tortilla and potato!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Homemade Crispy onions are delish

http://ourbestbites.com/2010/09/tutorial-how-to-make-crispy-shoestring-onions-and-an-announcement/

Side Note: Block Burger serve BBQ Pulled Pork Beans as a side, I think tis' a bit odd but maybe your guests would like it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Cole Slaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

sweet potato wedges?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A warm salad goes very well.

Pop a bag of salad into a bowl (I like the one with shredded beetroot for this). Fry some lardons in a pan, crumbled feta cheese on top of the salad.
    When the lardons are crispy take the pan off the heat and add a good dollop of olive oil and introduce back to the heat but don't over heat the oil, warm/hot is good enough.
    Pour the oil and lardons over the cheese and salad and toss well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

humberklog wrote: »
    A warm salad goes very well.

Pop a bag of salad into a bowl (I like the one with shredded beetroot for this). Fry some lardons in a pan, crumbled feta cheese on top of the salad.
    When the lardons are crispy take the pan off the heat and add a good dollop of olive oil and introduce back to the heat but don't over heat the oil, warm/hot is good enough.
    Pour the oil and lardons over the cheese and salad and toss well.

No vinegar or citrus juice?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No vinegar or citrus juice?

Kept it to the basics for recipe, add anything you want.
    I fry halved baby tomatoes with the lardons but thought even that was superfluous info.

Doubt if I would add strong dressings if I was having it with a burger, probably not as I'd kinda want the bacon and cheese flavours to be to the fore. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wshouldieat?

I know they sort of fall under the same line as Chips, but sweet potato fries are lovely alongside a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Grated carrot and celeriac 80-20 ratio, with some olive oil and a little lemon juice makes a nice side.
    Thickly sliced beefsteak tomato's with some salt and pepper.
    Some olives

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

A potato salad can go down well! Or an Asian slaw.

Advertisement